[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

• Founder
1 hour ago, Ecstazy said:

hello all

Even if I am TI elite member, it seems that I am not allowed to download files.

nv_dispi.inf_v364.51_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

It is for my alienware M17x R3 with a 780m.

Due to SSD installation, I am currently doing a clean install of w10.

thanks for your help.

David

Send me a PM with a picture of your recent paypal transaction id and I'll get you sorted out. Our system does not see you as a subscriber.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, 82280zx said:

I guess I'm not sure whats I'm doing wrong?

I've followed your guide,

I did the following:
Updated my Vbios to PREMA V2

I did a DDU, Rebooted

Then I ran this under a admin command prompt

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

I then proceeded to reboot the system and disable driver signing, then I extracted the new drivers using 7 zip, I replaced inf files in the display folder with the modded ones from your post, removed the folders that I didn't need from the driver folder as listed above, I then installed the driver, I then updated my profiles in nvidia inspector with the new PEG Mod Profiles V6, and set them to default, double checked tasks in task scheduler, rebooted after all the changes and then I ran a benchmark, according to GPU Z my gpu's being throttled way back due to power? I'm pretty sure I did everything in your guide, what did I miss? I also have the task in task scheduler imported for the PEG Mod to fire nvidia inspector when I log in, (imported the one you had or followed the PEG guide). Any help would be appreciated.

Prema V2, please try installing v364.51 above using the proper nv_dispi.inf.

@J95 I used the Windows 10 PEG inf file from your post and I used Prema V2 Vbios --> GTX980M_8GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2 when I tested the driver and I got instant power throttle, this is after rebooting and everything.

Edited by 82280zx
Had a double quote.

Hi all! 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. 

I re flash to Prema 980m v2 vBios, I passed DDU 2 times, restart to Disable Driver Enforcement.. and still can not install the nvidia 361.75 with the proper win7/8.1 PEG Dedicated modified files.

BUT 

I can do the same process and install: 359.00, 362.00 and 364.51 drivers (are all the ones I've tried)

I don't want to use 359.00 as i see a drop in performance compared with newer drivers and I can't use 362.00 or above as I get the black screen bug, when going into desktop, as I'm using the 120Hz panel. 

Just seems like I can not uninstall Driver Enforcement on the 361.75 drivers?

This is my 980M 8GB Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

Any ideas in what I'm doing wrong?

361.75.jpg

Edited by Nomad

Here's an

Update 1 - the 364.51 does improve my FS GPU scores - NBR

and

Update 2 - I did experience some sort of throttle with the 364.51, I think it's not related to any power settings like desktop mode. But I did changed the AWCC power settings again now to be safe and removed the old driver and rolled back to 362.00 no throttle (not max clocks) in the same situation by the way the game is Dota2.

Hate this type of mess :(

Extra info - 

1 - Last week AlienFX was not turning on with powering on machine ( though it's set to off on OS boot) and had to do a sleep and resume to make them on on UEFI boot and go off on OS boot which is normal and should work as, read that AlienFX has those type of issues with sleep/hibernate etc.

2 - I had a throttle once on 362.00 that had something to do with power issues, had to remove the PSU and plugging it back helped to restore max clocks again because of the power plan thing. I always keep high performance maybe some other mess..,Might also be due to powersettings, but that's a longshot because I always use Highperf so rolledback

Edited by Ashtrix

1 minute ago, harrisson_at said:

And additional are all of your modded drivers down compatible or only specific for one?

And, last but not least: are the drivers specially modded for Alienware or usuable for other Notebooks?

If they are only for Alienware, are they for specific models? Like M17 ore more specific M17 R3 ?

3 hours ago, harrisson_at said:

Hello,

i have a general question:

Is there any difference in the drivers between 3D and normal Displays?

All drivers have the 3D vision driver but 900M series doesn't have 3D support since Nvidia wants OEMs and ODMs to pay for the licensing fee, drivers are same for every 60Hz /120Hz panels.

3 hours ago, harrisson_at said:

And, last but not least: are the drivers specially modded for Alienware or usuable for other Notebooks?

If they are only for Alienware, are they for specific models? Like M17 ore more specific M17 R3 ?

Only Alienware machines as you can see in previous pages j95 posted for all the compatible models of this brand and thread title suggests the same, please read before you post.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/03/2016 at 5:06 AM, Ecstazy said:

hello all

Even if I am TI elite member, it seems that I am not allowed to download files.

nv_dispi.inf_v364.51_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

It is for my alienware M17x R3 with a 780m.

Due to SSD installation, I am currently doing a clean install of w10.

thanks for your help.

David

seems to work for me. Weird.

wait... you have a SINGLE post...  that's why.

Edited by Lee James Wood
clarification

On 06/03/2016 at 9:04 PM, Ashtrix said:

Thanks to @J95 & @Prema Paypal ID - 12364472TF900940S for the flawless stuff you do, Got my upgrade done on my Alienware 17 with 980M.

J95 where is the donation button, I cannot find one..

And also @thegh0sts for the guidance, @Lee James Wood for the cool GTX 980M.

You are most welcome my friend. Spread the word ! If anyone wants higher then usual quality MXM cards, I'm your guy !

( On a side note, if anyone has noticed, there are less and less vendors selling broken used videocards for outrageous prices. It was a long term goal of mine, and what originally prompted me to sell so low and to NBR and T|I members - forums and selling sites all over back in the day had so many sellers for broken cards, no one knew how to get them working , people were pawning off their troubles to other people etc.. there was just a bad experience for people wanting to upgrade a MXM 3.0b card, but nowadays, it's not so bad. Most the cards are good, safe, and you don't hear nightmare stories 5 x a week like you used to about people being ripped off and being sold crappy stolen cards from china and stuff anymore. I really feel, I helped contribute to this brighter future for people like us, and I want everyone to know, I could not have even helped a bit - if it wasn't for NBR and TechInferno and my supplier/ partners at Eurocom.)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 14/03/2016 at 8:29 AM, Nomad said:

Hi all! 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. 

I re flash to Prema 980m v2 vBios, I passed DDU 2 times, restart to Disable Driver Enforcement.. and still can not install the nvidia 361.75 with the proper win7/8.1 PEG Dedicated modified files.

BUT 

I can do the same process and install: 359.00, 362.00 and 364.51 drivers (are all the ones I've tried)

I don't want to use 359.00 as i see a drop in performance compared with newer drivers and I can't use 362.00 or above as I get the black screen bug, when going into desktop, as I'm using the 120Hz panel. 

Just seems like I can not uninstall Driver Enforcement on the 361.75 drivers?

This is my 980M 8GB Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

Any ideas in what I'm doing wrong?

361.75.jpg

check windows for updates, check all other hardware, like AWCC and the likes, check your bios and any EC/firmware's.

then triple check you disabled DSE, and are running the setup as Admin. Maybe try various windows 8/windows 10 64bit drivers.  If you can use DDU or remove all video card entries in registry too, and run CCleaner could help.

Maybe you need a specific driver made just for you. Maybe your hardware ID changes or something changes half way during install.

Could be windows has already installed it's own version of what driver you need, and then it blocked yours. You restart your laptop and then some random driver is there. maybe it installed but didn't update the registry properly because it turned out you didn't have admin rights on this login (seriously, windows 10 has random issues like this, when it is running updates)

Just make sure you disabled DSE each and every time you install. It should prompt you to "install anyways" as a warning every time. if it doesn't, then you know it is going to fail or only 'pretend" it's installing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/13/2016 at 2:37 PM, nick81 said:

@J95

Thanks man. Drivers work great. I was finally able to install without issues (black screen upon reboot). I was stuck on 361.75 for a while...

I am using dedicated on Win8.1. No throttling, no issues so far.

@nick81 you will need to increase voltage for Rise of the Tomb Raider, even my stable 24/7 OC/OV  @1266/1.087V, 3DM11 & FS loop settings, incl Valley...364.51 delete unnecessary folders and don't install GFE, don't use RTSS either...FPS counter Steam overlay (latest version) w/ DX12 support

Rise of the Tomb Raider DX12 option.                                                                                                                                          

Tomb_Raider3.thumb.PNG.3f050df803bb34619

RAM used.

Tomb_Raider_RAM.PNG.684bb8a21c4e77b1c595

On 3/13/2016 at 3:08 PM, 82280zx said:

Prema V2, please try installing v364.51 above using the proper nv_dispi.inf.

@J95 I used the Windows 10 PEG inf file from your post and I used Prema V2 Vbios --> GTX980M_8GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2 when I tested the driver and I got instant power throttle, this is after rebooting and everything.

Don't install v364.51. Instead, flash Prema v1.1.1 before installing Win10 throttle free PEG mod 352.84.

v364.51

@J95 You're right it was just a temporary fix as it throttle again after the cold boot. Reinstalling the drivers seems to fix the driver somewhat till next day when all things go back to normal again (throttling) :logik:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2016 at 10:35 PM, J95 said:

@nick81 you will need to increase voltage for Rise of the Tomb Raider, even my stable 24/7 OC/OV  @1266/1.087V, 3DM11 & FS loop settings, incl Valley...364.51 delete unnecessary folders and don't install GFE, don't use RTSS either...FPS counter Steam overlay (latest version) w/ DX12 support

What is wrong with RTSS?

On 17/03/2016 at 6:35 PM, J95 said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider DX12 option.                                                                                                                                          

Tomb_Raider3.thumb.PNG.3f050df803bb34619

RAM used.

Tomb_Raider_RAM.PNG.684bb8a21c4e77b1c595

Don't install v364.51. Instead, flash Prema v1.1.1 before installing Win10 throttle free PEG mod 352.84.

v364.51

@J95

Hey man

I still don't understand why you're asking me to increase voltage for Tomb Raider. I was actually able to resolve the issue by disabled Steam Overlay and uncheck the option "Exclusive Fullscreen". I just beat the game tonight and I didn't get a single crash since doing these 2 "fixes".

I am honestly not touching (OC'ing) my 980m until I build my "monster" HTPC in the near future. Just waiting for the Pascal GPUs and if the rumors are right we might very well see a Titan grade GPU in April-May and a Ti grade GPU by June. I guess we'll know if it's right or not by next week! A part of me is actually praying AMD's lineup is better but I seriously doubt that'll be the case...

I've got the $$$ ready for the Titan purchase... I want that baby to last me at least 3 years and to be able to finally game in 4k on my TV.... *fingers crossed*

Edited by nick81

I tried the latest nvidia driver for my  M18x r2 with single 980m and I get throttling. The only drivers that working perfectly without any throttling are the 352 from here. Anyone know how to avoid throttling with the newer drivers? I have tried to clean with DDU and reinstall many times but every time throttling exists.

hi guys

got a bit of a serious problem here so any help is much appreciated.

while i was browsing the internet my screen suddenly turned black, so i restarted my laptop then for some reason it used the onboard gpu of my mother board.

i restarted again and it didn't change anything.

so what i did was i run DDU and clean un-install the gpu then re-install the gpu driver again.

but its not letting me re-install the gpu driver for some reason it keeps on showing me this.

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/ennix4690/media/force%20driver%20failed_zpsbxsxt0be.jpg.html

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/ennix4690/media/2failed_zpsti0n5kdf.png.html

the screen was showing some flickering too unfortunately i wasn't able to include it on the screen shot.

i was using the 353.00 PEG mode with prema's bios CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1.1 for months now ever since i bought the gpu and this is the 1st time i had encountered this problem.

any help/ response are greatly appreciated especially right now that im lost and don't what to do.

Thanks.

System

M17xR4 120 hz pannel using Nvidia GTX980m 8gb non optimus

5 hours ago, angel_ennix said:

hi guys

got a bit of a serious problem here so any help is much appreciated.

while i was browsing the internet my screen suddenly turned black, so i restarted my laptop then for some reason it used the onboard gpu of my mother board.

i restarted again and it didn't change anything.

so what i did was i run DDU and clean un-install the gpu then re-install the gpu driver again.

but its not letting me re-install the gpu driver for some reason it keeps on showing me this.

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/ennix4690/media/force%20driver%20failed_zpsbxsxt0be.jpg.html

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/ennix4690/media/2failed_zpsti0n5kdf.png.html

the screen was showing some flickering too unfortunately i wasn't able to include it on the screen shot.

i was using the 353.00 PEG mode with prema's bios CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1.1 for months now ever since i bought the gpu and this is the 1st time i had encountered this problem.

any help/ response are greatly appreciated especially right now that im lost and don't what to do.

Thanks.

System

M17xR4 120 hz pannel using Nvidia GTX980m 8gb non optimus

Sounds like what happened to me with my 1st 980m....

Well to make sure the issue is only with the GPU, you could try the following:

1- Run DDU in safe mode and select the option to Shutdown (install new GPU)

2- Replace the 980m with your previous GPU if you still have it. If not, then just unseat, clean the port and reinstall the 980m.

3- Boot with DSE disabled and install the last driver that worked for you (100%) to avoid the chance of the driver being the issue.

4- If it still doesn't work, then you've got a dead GPU... Can you try checking the GPU info from HWInfo? GPUz in my case hanged but you could try checking it as well. In my case it was the vRam that had fried for some reason.

5- One LAST Thing you could try is to do a clean install of Windows... I have reasons to belive that DDU isn't perfect and that there are files not being deleted even in safe mode.

Good luck!

Edited by nick81

On 3/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, kenny27 said:

What is wrong with RTSS?

Nothing wrong, RTSS v6.4.1 lacks DX12 support.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:04 PM, nick81 said:

@J95

Hey man.

I still don't understand why you're asking me to increase voltage for Tomb Raider. I was actually able to resolve the issue by disabled Steam Overlay and uncheck the option "Exclusive Fullscreen". I just beat the game tonight and I didn't get a single crash since doing these 2 "fixes".

I am honestly not touching (OC'ing) my 980m until I build my "monster" HTPC in the near future. Just waiting for the Pascal GPUs and if the rumors are right we might very well see a Titan grade GPU in April-May and a Ti grade GPU by June. I guess we'll know if it's right or not by next week! A part of me is actually praying AMD's lineup is better but I seriously doubt that'll be the case...

I've got the $$$ ready for the Titan purchase... I want that baby to last me at least 3 years and to be able to finally game in 4k on my TV.... *fingers crossed*

I thought you were overclocking the GPU, just used steam overlay once...bandicam fps overlay.

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 352.84 works fine without any throttling, but I recently ran into a issue with a game that needs the latest drivers or it crashes, I tried the 364.51 again, the game ran with it but I was getting major throttling again. I couldn't see a vbios for 1.1.1 for a 980m, I used v2 of prema's bios on the 352.84 and it worked fine.

Edited by 82280zx
Fixed mention.
  • Thumbs Up 1

@J95

Hey man

Hope you can clarify something for me.

I keep reading about throttling yet I've never faced it myself with my 980m. I did get some throttling with my old 880m but that was solved by flashing to SLV's vbios.

With the 980m, flashed to Prema's vbios, I have never faced throttling on any driver version....

How come others with practically the same setup as mine face severe throttling at time? Could it be hardware related, as in depend on the quality of the GPU itself? (ASIC?...)

On 27/03/2016 at 11:15 PM, nick81 said:

Sounds like what happened to me with my 1st 980m....

Well to make sure the issue is only with the GPU, you could try the following:

1- Run DDU in safe mode and select the option to Shutdown (install new GPU)

2- Replace the 980m with your previous GPU if you still have it. If not, then just unseat, clean the port and reinstall the 980m.

3- Boot with DSE disabled and install the last driver that worked for you (100%) to avoid the chance of the driver being the issue.

4- If it still doesn't work, then you've got a dead GPU... Can you try checking the GPU info from HWInfo? GPUz in my case hanged but you could try checking it as well. In my case it was the vRam that had fried for some reason.

5- One LAST Thing you could try is to do a clean install of Windows... I have reasons to belive that DDU isn't perfect and that there are files not being deleted even in safe mode.

Good luck!

i will give it another try. for now im using my old 680m i don't know how i would fry my vrams im not over clocking it and im running nvidia inspector set to temp limit at 65C so it downclocks when ever it reaches that temp.

thanks for the reply.

56 minutes ago, angel_ennix said:

i will give it another try. for now im using my old 680m i don't know how i would fry my vrams im not over clocking it and im running nvidia inspector set to temp limit at 65C so it downclocks when ever it reaches that temp.

thanks for the reply.

Well that's exactly what I asked around when my 980m died... I NEVER OC'ed it and I am absolutely certain that I applied thermal pads properly on the vRam when installing the GPU.

But just so you know, Nvidia Inspector won't help with vRam temp. The 65C limit is applied only to the GPU temp, not its vRAM. There is no simple way of measuring the temp of the vram unless you use maybe a IR thermometer/gun or something...

Edited by nick81

On 3/28/2016 at 3:04 AM, nick81 said:

@J95

Hey man

Hope you can clarify something for me.

I keep reading about throttling yet I've never faced it myself with my 980m. I did get some throttling with my old 880m but that was solved by flashing to SLV's vbios.

With the 980m, flashed to Prema's vbios, I have never faced throttling on any driver version....

How come others with practically the same setup as mine face severe throttling at time? Could it be hardware related, as in depend on the quality of the GPU itself? (ASIC?...)

Optimus models normal behavior...

---------------------UPDATED---------------------

GeForce 364.72

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package,  run setup.exe  

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v364.72

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_11_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 - Full_Profiles_7_v352.84.txt

GeForce 364.72 Win 7/8.1
GeForce 364.72 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v364.72_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v364.72_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

• J95 pinned this topic