[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

Hi J95,

Sorry for the n00b question. But, why do we need modified drivers? Why wont the WHQL drivers work? Also, for my Dell 980m running Windows 10, what vBIOS do you recommend?

Thanks,

Madhu.

This is for people who upgraded the gpu of laptops which officially aren't compatible with (plug and play). Like my alienware 17 R5 (2013), upgraded with a mxm 980m (clevo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently I can't test this mod...980M undergoing steroids treatment...;)

Follow instructions to the letter to avoid throttling (nv_dispi.inf / single GPU) GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1

thank u im currently trying the fix now.. :)

notice tho for some reason my gpu automatically goes to 1.075V! which is too high i already tried lowering it using nvidia inspector but for some reason it goes back ....

thank u im currently trying the fix now.. :)

notice tho for some reason my gpu automatically goes to 1.075V! which is too high i already tried lowering it using nvidia inspector but for some reason it goes back ....

That's normal, don't mess w/ voltages.

Run GPU-Z v0-8-6 post ASIC readings

post-3012-14495001350286_thumb.png

ng6ue4J.png

That's normal...ASIC, don't mess w/ voltages.

Run GPU-Z v0-8-6 post ASIC readings

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16760[/ATTACH]

ng6ue4J.png

ohhh ok but its pretty abnormal for me cause the temp sky rockets @ 75C is that normal too?

thanks for the reply :)post-12063-14495001350523_thumb.png usually it freezes when it reach 75c + temps thats what im worried about. :(

and my ASIC score isnt that high either..

@J95

I was just reading the exchange of posts between you and @angel_ennix and took a look at my own GPUZ info. There is something peculiar which I hope you can explain to me. Here are a few screenshots I took:

post-27906-14495001351136_thumb.jpg

post-27906-14495001351253_thumb.gif

post-27906-14495001351441_thumb.gif

ASIC is decent I guess and I am using Prema's vbios 1.1.1. I didn't overclock my GPU at all currently but isn't the voltage very low? 0.85v?

Thx a lot!

EDIT: Nevermind... NVInspector shows a voltage of 1.062V which I guess is the stock voltage for the GPU. I wasn't aware voltage varied depending if the GPU is under load or not.

@angel_ennix ASIC quality 64.6% = 1.075V, temps are high due to poor contact between heatsink and GPU die, including thermal pad placement.

got it finished with the positioning of thermal pads, i used copper pads to because for some reason my thermal pads on the black chips isnt touching the heat sink...

temp was reduced from 75C to 67C still high but atleast its not that high...

what is the highest temp a 980m can handle btw im curious..

thanks for your help and hard work :)

- - - Updated - - -

@J95

I was just reading the exchange of posts between you and @angel_ennix and took a look at my own GPUZ info. There is something peculiar which I hope you can explain to me. Here are a few screenshots I took:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16762[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16764[/ATTACH]

ASIC is decent I guess and I am using Prema's vbios 1.1.1. I didn't overclock my GPU at all currently but isn't the voltage very low? 0.85v?

Thx a lot!

EDIT: Nevermind... NVInspector shows a voltage of 1.062V which I guess is the stock voltage for the GPU. I wasn't aware voltage varied depending if the GPU is under load or not.

yah it depends on where your testing it.

on my gpuZ stats i was testing it on FFXIV everything at max on a DX11 Client so the stress on the card is super heavy lol...

• 2 weeks later...

@j95

Hey man... I tried my luck with windows 10 once again today. I am officially deciding that it is impossible to use the 980m in optimus on windows 10. Maybe a vbios mod would fix this but for now I am stuck on win8.1...

I keep asking if anyone has been able to get it working but the only ones who did, are using dedicated with the 120hz screen....

On 12/3/2015 at 4:37 PM, J95 said:

@Observer

- Switch back to Optimus mode to prevent EDID corruption

- Disable Hibernation: cmd (Admin) type powercfg -h off and press enter

powercfg -h off

- DDU "Clean & Shutdown"

- Disable driver signing

- Display.Driver copy/overwrite nvcvi.inf

- Set both Windows power plan and NVCPL to "High Performance"

@madhunm

*Optimus model* only use nvcvi.inf form here

I rolled back from Win 10 to Win 8.1 due to Win 10 kept forced installing an older version driver for 970M, no matter what I did to prevent it.

Once I am in Win 8.1, I switched back to Optimus mode and followed your steps, using modded nvcvi.inf with 358.91, and the blank screen issue after cold boot/reboot is gone. 

2 hours ago, Observer said:

I rolled back from Win 10 to Win 8.1 due to Win 10 kept forced installing an older version driver for 970M, no matter what I did to prevent it.

Once I am in Win 8.1, I switched back to Optimus mode and followed your steps, using modded nvcvi.inf with 358.91, and the blank screen issue after cold boot/reboot is gone. 

Well I am feeling more and more like we're going to be stuck with Win8.1 with our upgraded 970/980m mxm cards... Unless Prema, slv and j95 sit together and figure out how to make these cards work properly in Win10 (in Optimus) I honestly can't see any solution to these issues... I don't think it's only a driver issue. I have a feeling something needs to be changed/added to the custom vbios that has already been released by Prema. I haven't tried SLV's vbios but I doubt it'll make a difference.

8 hours ago, nick81 said:

Well I am feeling more and more like we're going to be stuck with Win8.1 with our upgraded 970/980m mxm cards... Unless Prema, slv and j95 sit together and figure out how to make these cards work properly in Win10 (in Optimus) I honestly can't see any solution to these issues... I don't think it's only a driver issue. I have a feeling something needs to be changed/added to the custom vbios that has already been released by Prema. I haven't tried SLV's vbios but I doubt it'll make a difference.

At this point of time, even Eurocom aftermarket upgrade is also not supporting Win 10, only Win 8.1.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,263,0)ec

However, after using Win 10 for 2 months, and now I am back to Win 8.1, I can't say I miss Win 10. Personally I am more comfortable with Win 8.1, and I never use Cortana, Edge, etc. The only feature will be missed is DX12, in the long run that is. 

On 20/12/2015 at 6:52 PM, Observer said:

At this point of time, even Eurocom aftermarket upgrade is also not supporting Win 10, only Win 8.1.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,263,0)ec

However, after using Win 10 for 2 months, and now I am back to Win 8.1, I can't say I miss Win 10. Personally I am more comfortable with Win 8.1, and I never use Cortana, Edge, etc. The only feature will be missed is DX12, in the long run that is. 

Yeah my only concern is DX12 and I would've loved running the latest DX12 benchmarks in 3DMarks once they're released in Q1 2016. Looks like that will have to wait until I completely replace my laptop. The modding community doesn't look interested in W10 at all (or borderline disgusted by it) so I doubt we'll see vbios/drivers to make our mxm cards work anytime soon.

Edit: on a side note new drivers got released by Nvidia (361.43). Will test them tonight. Nothing special aside from VR stuff.

Edited by nick81

On 12/17/2015 at 4:01 PM, nick81 said:

@j95

Hey man... I tried my luck with windows 10 once again today. I am officially deciding that it is impossible to use the 980m in optimus on windows 10. Maybe a vbios mod would fix this but for now I am stuck on win8.1...

I keep asking if anyone has been able to get it working but the only ones who did, are using dedicated with the 120hz screen....

Try installing Dell's Win10 drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/6099/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7GM0D  

If you are still having issues go for the latest versions https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-

Station drivers http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id=108&lang=en

Use my modded nvcvi.inf which has the proper edited "section"... black screens otherwise, don't try any graphics switching to avoid EDID corruption.

Keep these folders only, delete the rest.

MBFiaRA.png

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 361.43 WHQL

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
    Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip

• Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite the proper .inf file

• Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe

INF MOD v361.43

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding [S]AW[/S] 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

GeForce 361.43 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 361.43 WHQL Win10

If you are having issues w/ 361.43  black screens, TDRs, BSODs...Nvidia's holyday gift, please revert to 359.06 or 359.12

nv_dispi.inf_v361.43_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.43_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v361.43_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.43_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
18 minutes ago, El Paladin MalefiK said:

Thanks for this new drivers, but i can't download the nv dispi.inf, is it normal?

You will be able to in a one or two more quality posts. @J95 welcome back!

• Thumbs Up 1

Merry Christmas from Germany!!

I have been reading the various forums over the last few years to keep my 680m in my M17x R3 going but over the last few months the hacked inf changed as well as the layout of the nvidia folders and I have had to stay back on driver 352.86 in order for it to even work. I would love to read through all of the forums and their supporting threads but I have two children and a house full of family and well its more likely that I will fall out a window. Any help on trying to straighten this out would be much appreciated otherwise this may become a paperweight.

V/r

William Byers

Giessen, Germany

Hi@J95, Your m17x R4 looks very nice 2165 memory? wow!!

I am using my m17x R4 with [email protected], 980m (prema), windows 10 + nvidia 359.12 (j95 modded inf).

With this setting, do I still need to load task scheduler(P0_P1)?

How were you able to install the drivers in win10?? Are you in dedicated or optimus??

I am in dgpu mode. I never use optimus nor iGPU.

Installing driver is easy. I just did it as I did with win7.

edited...

Oh I read your posts. Why are you even bothering to use optimus which is the most "failed" technology in gaming notebooks.

What's the use of it for ''17 notebook. It wont even boost your battery life.

• J95 pinned this topic