[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

Hi all, just joined this forum to post a problem I am seeing.

About 2 months ago, I upgraded my AW17 R1 (2013) with GTX770M to Windows 10 Pro, and it was running without much problems.

With Windows 10 Pro installed, yesterday I changed the GPU to GTX970M and installed nVidia driver with modded .inf. The modded driver is installed in dedicated GPU mode (not Optimus mode). This is done by a more knowledgeable friend of mine.

Here is brief description of observations after the modded driver installation:

1. After modded driver installation completed, we can hear the notification tone of something plugged-in in Windows (like the tone when you plug in USB device);

2. Screen immediately went black. However, the hard disk LED is blinking;

3. When an external monitor is hooked up via the HDMI port, the external monitor is able to turn on and display the Windows desktop normally. This is observed by "duplicate" the monitor;

4. When a game is launched in full screen mode, both the laptop and external monitors are able to display the game. After exiting the game, the laptop finally is displaying Windows desktop normally;

5. My friend found a workaround fix for this issue, by using the AW17 power button to enter sleep mode. Only after entering and wake up from sleep mode the laptop monitor is able to light up and showing desktop.

So, my AW17 currently is able to use GTX970M under Windows 10 but only with a workaround fix. After cold boot/reboot, the screen will still turn black. I need to press the power button to enter sleep mode and pressing it second time to wake up, only then the monitor will turn on and display normally.

Anyone of you understand what is going on and know how to solve this, pls let me know.

@Assassin-SL you need to disable "Driver Signature Enforcement" for the drivers to install properly.

Not necessarily. Unfortunately my trials on Windows 10 ended miserably... Using the Nvidia installer always gave me the same error as Assassin, while trying to install the driver manually from Device Manager, activated my 980 for 5-10 minutes and then it would "magically" switch back to Basic Display Adapter.

Reverting to Win8.1 completely solved these issues for me. Aside from the inf mod, it's practically plug and play for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not necessarily. Unfortunately my trials on Windows 10 ended miserably... Using the Nvidia installer always gave me the same error as Assassin, while trying to install the driver manually from Device Manager, activated my 980 for 5-10 minutes and then it would "magically" switch back to Basic Display Adapter.

Reverting to Win8.1 completely solved these issues for me. Aside from the inf mod, it's practically plug and play for me.

@nick81 You are right, I did try it with driver signature enforcement disabled, but I still kept getting the error message. Good to know reverting back to 8.1 will solve the issue

What's wrong with 359? No issues for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not know if there is something diferent with those drivers but it seems to behave different. I need further testing to be able to say :/

I am using Prema's beta vBIOS so maybe is not playing well with them.

Hello all,

I have an Alienware 17 (R5?) from 2013 and have upgraded from 880m to 980m.

The HWID is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1

I have installed the Eurocom driver (17_R5_05AA1028_9xxM_358.50.zip) and in the nVidia Control panel, most of the features are missing. Also, Fn+F5 does not work.

I need help locating the most suitable driver for this card.

Thanks,

Madhu.

PEG MODs Update:

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt
  • NV Inspector -> restore current profile to Nvidia defaults -> reboot
  • NVCPL -> Manage 3D settings -> Set High Performance...etc.

352.84 PEG MOD Win10, Profiles update: Full_Profiles_2_352.84.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

Feedback...appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 359.06 WHQL

• Just Cause 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
    *Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
  • Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*
  • Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe
    INF MOD v359.06

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

GeForce 359.06 WHQL Win7/8.1
    GeForce 359.06 WHQL Win10

nvcvi.inf_v359.06_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nvcvi.inf_v359.06_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v359.06_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v359.06_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

PEG MODs Update:

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

• NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt

352.84 PEG MOD Win10, Profiles update: Full_Profiles_2_352.84.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

Feedback...appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 359.06 WHQL

• Just Cause 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
    *Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
  • Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*
    cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

INF MOD v359.06

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

GeForce 359.06 WHQL Win7/8.1
    GeForce 359.06 WHQL Win10

J95 how can i make this modded inf file, i have an alienware m17x r3 , nvidia gtx 780m, what software will i use? thanks

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD2 using Tapatalk

• This is a GeForce Hot Fix driver, version 353.00 that addresses the following issues:
  • Fixes a regression that prevented overclocking the GPU on some GeForce Notebooks
    PEG MOD v353.00

nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated All Models (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX

• Uninstall both EVGA PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS)
  • Flash @Prema's CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1.1 (please consider donating to Prema)
  • DDU "Clean & Shutdown"
  • Disable DSE
    cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement'.

• Extract driver package using 7-Zip -> GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD <-
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf -> run setup.exe -> don't reboot yet <-
  • NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt
    cWsgPhg.png
    ZWIgKXR.png
  • Open NVCPL -> Manage 3D settings -> Set High Performance etc...
  • NV Inspector -> P0/P1 matching -> Copy nvidiaInspector folder and included batch files to C: root directory ( Single/980M_Single_GPU_NVI...zip or SLI/980M_SLI_NVI...zip)
    Stock 1127/2505 P0/P1 or 1127/2705 P0/P1 (vram OCing - check stability)
    zS4PoDH.png
  • Task scheduler -> import task .xml -> one task at a time...:D or disable current task or edit task/Actions (System tasks/hidden command prompt window).
    02kvNwv.png
    GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD latest profiles.
    Update:
    Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt (no need to reinstall drivers)

Hello mr J95

I am stuck at this step ::: NV Inspector -> P0/P1 matching -> Copy nvidiaInspector folder and included batch files to C: root directory (Single/980M_Single_GPU_NVI...zip or SLI/980M_SLI_NVI...zip)

Can you explain this in a more noob friendly way ? thanks!

@J95

Hey man

I am facing an annoying issue once a week approximately, which I hope you can help me with. What happens, is when I boot to Windows, my GPU won't be detected anymore. In Device Manager I'll get the most-hated "basic display adapter" instead of 980m.

In one case, this got resolved when I restarted the PC with driver signature off. Yesterday, however, I had to unistall the drivers using DDU and resinstall from scratch.

Any idea what could cause this? I am using Win8.1 with Optimus.

Just as a note, other than this issue, the driver/vbios/GPU are very stable in general. 0 issue when gaming, no throttling, low temps etc...

Hi all, just joined this forum to post a problem I am seeing.

About 2 months ago, I upgraded my AW17 R1 (2013) with GTX770M to Windows 10 Pro, and it was running without much problems.

With Windows 10 Pro installed, yesterday I changed the GPU to GTX970M and installed nVidia driver with modded .inf. The modded driver is installed in dedicated GPU mode (not Optimus mode). This is done by a more knowledgeable friend of mine.

Here is brief description of observations after the modded driver installation:

1. After modded driver installation completed, we can hear the notification tone of something plugged-in in Windows (like the tone when you plug in USB device);

2. Screen immediately went black. However, the hard disk LED is blinking;

3. When an external monitor is hooked up via the HDMI port, the external monitor is able to turn on and display the Windows desktop normally. This is observed by "duplicate" the monitor;

4. When a game is launched in full screen mode, both the laptop and external monitors are able to display the game. After exiting the game, the laptop finally is displaying Windows desktop normally;

5. My friend found a workaround fix for this issue, by using the AW17 power button to enter sleep mode. Only after entering and wake up from sleep mode the laptop monitor is able to light up and showing desktop.

So, my AW17 currently is able to use GTX970M under Windows 10 but only with a workaround fix. After cold boot/reboot, the screen will still turn black. I need to press the power button to enter sleep mode and pressing it second time to wake up, only then the monitor will turn on and display normally.

Anyone of you understand what is going on and know how to solve this, pls let me know.

Hello all,

I have an Alienware 17 (R5?) from 2013 and have upgraded from 880m to 980m.

The HWID is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1

I have installed the Eurocom driver (17_R5_05AA1028_9xxM_358.50.zip) and in the nVidia Control panel, most of the features are missing. Also, Fn+F5 does not work.

I need help locating the most suitable driver for this card.

Thanks,

Madhu.

@Observer

- Switch back to Optimus mode to prevent EDID corruption

- Disable Hibernation: cmd (Admin) type powercfg -h off and press enter

powercfg -h off

- DDU "Clean & Shutdown"

- Disable driver signing

- Display.Driver copy/overwrite nvcvi.inf

- Set both Windows power plan and NVCPL to "High Performance"

@madhunm

*Optimus model* only use nvcvi.inf form here

@J95 359.00 is not the best driver, rolled back to 358.91 no throttling or extrange behaviors :S

Just wanted you to know :P

No problem here.

J95 how can i make this modded inf file, i have an alienware m17x r3 , nvidia gtx 780m, what software will i use? thanks

Sent from my ARCHOS GAMEPAD2 using Tapatalk

Disable DSE and try nv_dispi.inf from here

Hello mr J95

I am stuck at this step ::: NV Inspector -> P0/P1 matching -> Copy nvidiaInspector folder and included batch files to C:\ root directory (Single/980M_Single_GPU_NVI...zip or SLI/980M_SLI_NVI...zip)

Can you explain this in a more noob friendly way ? thanks!

Just copy NV Inspector folder to C:\ including *SLI* batch files. Try stock clocks first, right click "Run as Administrator" -> Open NV Inspector -> *P1* "Create Startup Task"

@J95

Hey man

I am facing an annoying issue once a week approximately, which I hope you can help me with. What happens, is when I boot to Windows, my GPU won't be detected anymore. In Device Manager I'll get the most-hated "basic display adapter" instead of 980m.

In one case, this got resolved when I restarted the PC with driver signature off. Yesterday, however, I had to unistall the drivers using DDU and resinstall from scratch.

Any idea what could cause this? I am using Win8.1 with Optimus.

Just as a note, other than this issue, the driver/vbios/GPU are very stable in general. 0 issue when gaming, no throttling, low temps etc...

You must disable driver signing each time you install new drivers...just hit F8 and disable DSE, no need to run bcdedit command again.

@J95

I always disable driver signature when installing drivers. What I meant is that after using a driver for a few days, the gpu automatically switches to basic display adapter and I am forced to uninstall with DDU and reinstall the driver

This is after FN+F5 graphics switching? Strange behavior...maybe trying different Intel HD drivers.

Don't switch to dedicated mode, mainly to avoid EDID corruption.

I am on optimus... Yeah I really don't understand what's going on

PEG MODs Update:

NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt

Feedback...appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 359.12 HF

cmd (Admin)

INF MOD v359.12

GeForce 359.12 HF Win7/8.1
    GeForce 359.12 HF Win10

@ALL 980M/970M M18xR2 & AW17/M17xR4 120Hz, please check stock clocks throttling *P-states matching*

Feedback...appreciated.

@kenny27 @Tulius @haXBOXpro @thegh0sts

nv_dispi.inf_v359.12_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v359.12_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v359.12_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v359.12_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

PEG MODs Update:

Feedback...appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 359.12 HF

cmd (Admin)

INF MOD v359.12

GeForce 359.12 HF Win7/8.1
    GeForce 359.12 HF Win10

@ALL 980M/970M M18xR2 & AW17/M17xR4 120Hz, please check stock clocks throttling *P-states matching*

Feedback...appreciated.

@kenny27 @Tulius @haXBOXpro @thegh0sts

Unfortunately I won't be able to try this out until next week when I'm back home! What's this HF driver fix anyway. I haven't had any problems using the your earlier 359 mod. So far so smooth sailing :)

Win10

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi guys just wondering if someone would mod a Nvidia driver for me if thats ok.

im using gtx980m currently using driver 353.12 which is a bit buggy for ff14 causes it to randomly freeze :(

i need something higher than what i have or prolly the latest one

my hardware ID is : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_057B1028&REV_A1

thank you to someone who will do it :)

Hi guys just wondering if someone would mod a Nvidia driver for me if thats ok.

im using gtx980m currently using driver 353.12 which is a bit buggy for ff14 causes it to randomly freeze :(

i need something higher than what i have or prolly the latest one

my hardware ID is : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_057B1028&REV_A1

thank you to someone who will do it :)

Win8.1?Win10? I assume you're using dedicated graphics, not Optimus? (120Hz screen)

good day could anyone teach me how to mod nvidia drivers on gtx 780m

thanks

There is already a very detailed topic by j95 on how to do that. Took me just 15 mins to get it right and mod my own drivers

Unfortunately I won't be able to try this out until next week when I'm back home! What's this HF driver fix anyway. I haven't had any problems using the your earlier 359 mod. So far so smooth sailing :)

Win10

This HF is to fix crashes with 860/960m in some games.

Win8.1?Win10? I assume you're using dedicated graphics, not Optimus? (120Hz screen)

win 8.1 and yes sir non optimus :)

thanks for asking i forgot to put that on my post

-------edited-----

ill try older nvdia drivers too to check just to be sure

dont wanna risk on frying my 980m :)

Win10

Currently I can't test this mod...980M undergoing steroids treatment...;)

win 8.1 and yes sir non optimus :)

thanks for asking i forgot to put that on my post

-------edited-----

ill try older nvdia drivers too to check just to be sure

dont wanna risk on frying my 980m :)

Follow instructions to the letter to avoid throttling (nv_dispi.inf / single GPU) GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1

• Thumbs Up 2

• J95 pinned this topic