[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

GeForce 359.00 WHQL

Thank you for the updated drivers :) These are better than 358.91 at least for me. Quick test:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Your dedicated 980m will probably get more performance as usual, but this seems to be the best in optimus so far for me.

post-16277-1449500120815_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Tried the 359 drivers myself. Seemed to work fine but was getting throttle spikes while playing FFXIV :C. Only using stock rates as well I dont overclock at all. Ah well back to 350.12 again......

I had the same problem as you. I followed @J95 instructions a few pages back and then reinstalled the same driver and worked flawless! There's only 5 or 6 folders you keep in the extracted driver folder and delete the rest SPECIALLY GF Experience. Look through this forum if you sorry I can't remember the exact process

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the same problem as you. I followed @J95 instructions a few pages back and then reinstalled the same driver and worked flawless! There's only 5 or 6 folders you keep in the extracted driver folder and delete the rest SPECIALLY GF Experience. Look through this forum if you sorry I can't remember the exact process

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Might try them again later with those instructions and see what happens. If they work afterwards then perfect as ive been stuck with the 350.12 drivers for ages since newer ones over the summer would cause my poor M18xR2 to not always boot the screen once the windows loading screen passed. :C

Derpy question but which post is it btw do you know? X_X

Might try them again later with those instructions and see what happens. If they work afterwards then perfect as ive been stuck with the 350.12 drivers for ages since newer ones over the summer would cause my poor M18xR2 to not always boot the screen once the windows loading screen passed. :C

Derpy question but which post is it btw do you know? X_X

I dont remember which page its on but heres the screenshot i saved as a quide incase i ever forget LOL.

Just follow the standard instructions, then make sure your extracted GeForce driver has only the same folders as the screenshot below (all credits to @J95).

post-37061-14495001210102_thumb.png

By the way i'd stay away from GFE in general. Does nothing useful!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tried the 359 drivers myself. Seemed to work fine but was getting throttle spikes while playing FFXIV :C. Only using stock rates as well I dont overclock at all. Ah well back to 350.12 again......

Next time please include your system specs, such as Windows, HW...

INF MOD 359.00 keep these folders only, delete the rest.

ANglgYK.png

xbEXRfD.png

- - - Updated - - -

980M stock throttling fix + latest profiles.

Optional vram overclocking *AA* (P-States matching).

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt

352.84 PEG MOD Win10 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_2_352.84.txt

• Thumbs Up 2

Next time please include your system specs, such as Windows, HW...

INF MOD 359.00 keep these folders only, delete the rest.

ANglgYK.png

- - - Updated - - -

980M stock throttling fix + latest profiles.

Optional vram overclocking *AA* (P-States matching).

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt

352.84 PEG MOD Win10 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_2_352.84.txt

Well when I installed the drivers INITIALLY the way you have it there the issue was there where the clock speed dropped from 1100 to 360ish at certain points...... but I saw that 2nd part with the stock throttling fix and I applied that through NVinspector and....... its gone! Seems to be working fine now. Gonna keep an eye on it for a while tho to be sure but that seems to have sorted it for the moment.

Also system is a M18xR2 with Dual 980M's. Had win10 initially on it till I saw that whole thing about it killing the display and went back to Windows 8.1 to be safe. Been using the 350.12 drivers since they came out more or less since later drivers were iffy at best (computer would lock between the windows load screen and the login a few times with the newer ones while others would be stuttery on the initial boot which eventually caused an OS failure -.-) and Im hoping I dont end up with a repeat performance :/

Thx again for that J95.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad it worked out, I'll keep updating profiles until Prema releases the vBIOS fix.

For PEG MODs best results flash @Prema's CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1.1 (please consider donating to Prema)

- - - Updated - - -

@Infini did you apply NVI "P-States matching" w/ v359.00? If so, please power off -> remove power cord & battery -> Hold power button for 60 seconds -> reinsert Battery/power cable.

Power on -> NVI P-states matching -> check throttling...if it fails install 353.00 PEG MOD (follow instructions to the letter).

@kenny27 please try this #881...Power drain -> NVI P-states matching, hopefully some of my older tweaks are still working 359.00...time to update PEG MODs...:D

Glad it worked out, I'll keep updating profiles until Prema releases the vBIOS fix.

For PEG MODs best results flash @Prema's CLEVO_8GB_GTX980M_OC_PM_v1.1.1 (please consider donating to Prema)

- - - Updated - - -

@Infini did you apply NVI "P-States matching" w/ v359.00? If so, please power off -> remove power cord & battery -> Hold power button for 60 seconds -> reinsert Battery/power cable.

Power on -> NVI P-states matching -> check throttling...if it fails install 353.00 PEG MOD (follow instructions to the letter).

I didnt do anything with the P-States tbh. All I did was import the file with NVI and restore the current profiles to nvidia defaults. I dont have any overclocking on the cards theyre using the stock bios I got em with unmodified. Have no intention with changing anything on the Vbios atm at least as I dont have much experience on vbios flashing (also dont want to have to remove the cards or swap em either since taking apart the laptop is time consuming and I dont want to move the heatsinks either after getting them in there X_X) Dunno why the drivers up to 350.12 worked perfectly fine and only after those ones problems began showing up. My desktop uses the 980 Ti's and installs without issues and never has had any problems with the drivers.

Edit: Looks like the throttle issue came back.Logged into FFXIV and the same zone again I Noticed on GPU-z that the perfcap shows pwr,sli on it at the same time it throttles to 340ish. Im just gonna stick with the 350.12 drivers for the time being since I know therye reliable enough, I dont have enough confidence to flash the vBios right now incase I make a mess of it. May keep occasionally testing new drivers but I went back as far as 355.82 and the throttle issue seems to be there in all of them dunno why It does that on later drivers and not 350.12. In anycase thanks for helping anyways.

Hey all

I am currently using 359.00 with my 980m mxm on Windows 8.1 without any issues. Benchmarks (without OC'ing) show the performance of my AW17 R5 (2013) to be on par with others with similar setups here and on the NBR forums.

There are though a few things I didn't do when installing the drivers: delete some of the folders in the driver files as instructed by j95 and NOT installing Geforce Experience.

I am assuming that one of the folders we have to delete avoids the installation of Experience.

What is the problem when installing GE? It's working perfectly fine for me (even though I don't use much of it, aside from checking what optimal settings it recommends for the games I play).

I already know about the Nvidia streamer service which I've been disabling as soon as I install a new driver, even before I got the 980m.

The one thing that remains is j95's suggestions regarding NVInspector. I did import the profiles (v5 now). But I am not doing the p0/p1 states match thingy. Does this affect performance? The reason I didn't change that, is that because it just doesn't save changes. A bit of research showed that this might be caused by Geforce Experience. But if the impact of modifying p0/p1 is minimal then I'd rather not change anything.

I have ZERO throttling thanks to Prema's mod and as I said, benchmarks and my personal experience playing games have shown very good results so far.

Hope someone can enlighten me with this as I wouldn't say no for even more oomph from the 980m! I am very very glad I opted to keep my AW17 and just upgrade my GPU, instead of replacing it with a MSI or Asus...

- - - Updated - - -

@kenny27 please try this #881...Power drain -> NVI P-states matching, hopefully some of my older tweaks are still working 359.00...time to update PEG MODs...:D

@J95 I had a quick go with the new drivers, I did not do the power drain, I only power drain if I absolutely need to (had a bad experience, so I stay away from anything what might surprise me with a dis-assembly) The 359.00 drivers are Almost ok for the M18x R2, In the testing I did (3DMark11, Firestrike, Crysis 3, Unigine Heaven, Metro 2033 + Lastlight and Shadow of Mordor) I occasionally got a 325/405mhz (core/memory) throttle for a few seconds and then every thing returned to normal, in Crysis 3 and Shadow of Mordor I had no throttling at all. The P-state matching didn't help as its obviously throttling to a lower power state. By the way, I'm using a variant of svl7's vbios.

Hey all

I am currently using 359.00 with my 980m mxm on Windows 8.1 without any issues. Benchmarks (without OC'ing) show the performance of my AW17 R5 (2013) to be on par with others with similar setups here and on the NBR forums.

There are though a few things I didn't do when installing the drivers: delete some of the folders in the driver files as instructed by j95 and NOT installing Geforce Experience.

I am assuming that one of the folders we have to delete avoids the installation of Experience.

What is the problem when installing GE? It's working perfectly fine for me (even though I don't use much of it, aside from checking what optimal settings it recommends for the games I play).

I already know about the Nvidia streamer service which I've been disabling as soon as I install a new driver, even before I got the 980m.

The one thing that remains is j95's suggestions regarding NVInspector. I did import the profiles (v5 now). But I am not doing the p0/p1 states match thingy. Does this affect performance? The reason I didn't change that, is that because it just doesn't save changes. A bit of research showed that this might be caused by Geforce Experience. But if the impact of modifying p0/p1 is minimal then I'd rather not change anything.

I have ZERO throttling thanks to Prema's mod and as I said, benchmarks and my personal experience playing games have shown very good results so far.

Hope someone can enlighten me with this as I wouldn't say no for even more oomph from the 980m! I am very very glad I opted to keep my AW17 and just upgrade my GPU, instead of replacing it with a MSI or Asus...

There shouldn't be any need for importing the profiles if your using the 359.00 drivers as all the profiles are included with the drivers. The updated profile are needed if your using the older 353.00 drivers.

The p-state matched profiles from Nvidia Inspector can be set to be automatically loaded when you start windows.

It can improve performance if you are getting throttling to the P1 state, which it doesn't seem to be happening on your system anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks man!

So the only thing I'll be doing in the future is get the modded inf (if not then just do it myself). If I am not getting any throttling, then I don't need to do anything additional?

I read j95 that Prema needed to "fix" something in his vbios. Any idea what that is? Couldn't find anything about this anywhere in this thread...

Thanks man!

So the only thing I'll be doing in the future is get the modded inf (if not then just do it myself). If I am not getting any throttling, then I don't need to do anything additional?

I read j95 that Prema needed to "fix" something in his vbios. Any idea what that is? Couldn't find anything about this anywhere in this thread...

In M18X-R2 with 980M SLI there some things not fixed yet by vBIOS like the gpu throttling or worse, the power throttling(gpu in low power state mode), and a issue with the second gpu fan not responding right in some systems with 980M sli installed(I'm using Hwinfo64 to help that).

In my case with 359.00 drivers there's some occasional throttling like 494/506Mhz GPU core and goes back 1127Mhz again, in 353.00 drivers it works ok with full core gpu speed but sometimes the system for some reason decides to enter in low power throttling mode and the only way to solve that is to reset the machine to get full speed again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didnt do anything with the P-States tbh. All I did was import the file with NVI and restore the current profiles to nvidia defaults. I dont have any overclocking on the cards theyre using the stock bios I got em with unmodified. Have no intention with changing anything on the Vbios atm at least as I dont have much experience on vbios flashing (also dont want to have to remove the cards or swap em either since taking apart the laptop is time consuming and I dont want to move the heatsinks either after getting them in there X_X) Dunno why the drivers up to 350.12 worked perfectly fine and only after those ones problems began showing up. My desktop uses the 980 Ti's and installs without issues and never has had any problems with the drivers.

Edit: Looks like the throttle issue came back.Logged into FFXIV and the same zone again I Noticed on GPU-z that the perfcap shows pwr,sli on it at the same time it throttles to 340ish. Im just gonna stick with the 350.12 drivers for the time being since I know therye reliable enough, I dont have enough confidence to flash the vBios right now incase I make a mess of it. May keep occasionally testing new drivers but I went back as far as 355.82 and the throttle issue seems to be there in all of them dunno why It does that on later drivers and not 350.12. In anycase thanks for helping anyways.

Then try installing 353.00 PEG MOD/latest profiles, it works w/ stock vBIOS too...Prema's vBIOS mod eliminates core fluctuation 1127-1038 MHz, UEFI supported nvflash (included) no need to remove the cards, backup current vbios using GPU-Z v0.86.

@J95 I had a quick go with the new drivers, I did not do the power drain, I only power drain if I absolutely need to (had a bad experience, so I stay away from anything what might surprise me with a dis-assembly) The 359.00 drivers are Almost ok for the M18x R2, In the testing I did (3DMark11, Firestrike, Crysis 3, Unigine Heaven, Metro 2033 + Lastlight and Shadow of Mordor) I occasionally got a 325/405mhz (core/memory) throttle for a few seconds and then every thing returned to normal, in Crysis 3 and Shadow of Mordor I had no throttling at all. The P-state matching didn't help as its obviously throttling to a lower power state. By the way, I'm using a variant of svl7's vbios.

Thanks man, better keep 353.00.

Yep that's right, I see no need to match P-states if your not throttling.

Prema has been working on a vbios that will work without J95 modding the drivers like he does and will enable overclocking that wont throttle the cards :D

That would be great! Being able to update to official drivers without touching inf files will definitely be a big + !

Now I just wish I'd be able to go back to Windows 10! Maybe with the new vbios it'll make it simpler to install drivers for that OS. I am definitely not spending half a day trying to do that again!

I am actually waiting for a flash deal on Amazon.de for a Samsung 850 Evo 2TB that should go live in 3 hours...Do you recommend I stick to W8.1? I might keep my existing 840 Evo as an OS drive and install the new SSD in a HDD Caddy (take out the DVD drive) and use it for games and apps. I already created a thread on NBR asking for advice on a good HDD caddy to replace the slot-load dvd drive of the AW17 but didn't get any reply... Is it easy to do and can I just use any caddy? Would the one in the link below work in your opinion?

SATA to SATA, 9.5mm HDD Caddy for Slot-Loading Optical [OBHD9-SATA-SATA-NF] - $19.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

Thanks!

@Tulius when you get the throttle requiring a system reset that means you have gone over the bios power draw, usually about 330W from the wall depending how efficient your psu is. I have found using an external monitor gives the system a bit of extra room (20w or so) to run a moderate cpu overclock and avoid the system throttle.

@nick81 sorry let me be clear, we will still need the modded inf but J95 has been doing more then just putting the hadware ID in, his secret sauce has been stopping driver throttling :D

I cant give any advice on the HDD caddy, I will always be sticking with a DVD/CD drive given the choice. As for W10 vs W8.1, I'd still be cautious due to the whole screen bricking thing, people a fair few people have been running windows 10 for a while issue free, just stay away from EVGA Precision X if you want to have an other go.

What trouble did you have installing drivers?

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tulius when you get the throttle requiring a system reset that means you have gone over the bios power draw, usually about 330W from the wall depending how efficient your psu is. I have found using an external monitor gives the system a bit of extra room (20w or so) to run a moderate cpu overclock and avoid the system throttle.

@nick81 sorry let me be clear, we will still need the modded inf but J95 has been doing more then just putting the hadware ID in, his secret sauce has been stopping driver throttling :D

I cant give any advice on the HDD caddy, I will always be sticking with a DVD/CD drive given the choice. As for W10 vs W8.1, I'd still be cautious due to the whole screen bricking thing, people a fair few people have been running windows 10 for a while issue free, just stay away from EVGA Precision X if you want to have an other go.

What trouble did you have installing drivers?

The thing is, that the latest inf files provided by j95 didn't contain anything other than hardware ID's. I compared his inf files line by line against the vanilla inf files in the official driver. I don't know if at some point he was modifying other stuff but I know for a fact that for optimus (I can't speak for the dedicated) the inf files are untouched, other than the addition of the hardware IDs.

Other than that I have just ordered the caddy and a 850 Evo 500GB. I missed the deal on the 2 TB. I did get a pretty sweet deal of 130 euros for the 500GB. That size should be more than enough for my needs anyways...

As for the drivers, the 980m would show up in device manager, get detected by GPUz, then suddenly, without restart, switch back to "basic display adapter". It drove me crazy and I actually thought I had a defective GPU... Formatting my hard drive and doing a clean installation of W8.1 allowed me to install the driver in 1 shot without a single issue. Just to clarify I had also done a clean install of W10 in UEFI prior to installing the 980m...

let us know if the win 10 drivers are ok?!

Hi again @J95 @theghosts,

Some news as promised on my M17xR4 + 970M + W10 + 352.84 mod. Sorry to have been so long before posting but here in France we were a little bit disturbed by sad events like you should know.

So... I started first some tests with my old 352.84 mod. I got very bad results when using OCCT & Valley. Indeed they were so bad (60 fps on OCCT 3D) that I suspected some issue regarding my PSU at parents home (I have another one at my student flat). A short check in the BIOS allowed me to see that I had disabled the PSU conformity check sometimes in the past - certainly during my full monty of the laptop almost 6 weeks ago. As soon as I enabled it again I got the famous message on boot regarding the non conformance of the PSU that "may not charge".

I decided to drop the battery and to run tests without it and BINGO I was able to get better performance: 130 fps on OCCT / 2026 pts on Valley / 6295 pts on Fire Strike.

These are quite honest figures - still in the low of the average I have seen for my CPU+GPU combo however.

I have to mention that I run that test without any OC of the CPU or GPU.

I checked the GPU Mhz during OCCT test and it was capped at 540 MHz even if the card is rated 924 MHz - so looking like a throttling (note: I have no issue of T°).

Then I tried to play with NVI in order to look into the p-states. The P1 was capped with a max at 540 Mhz that I changed for 1038 Mhz for a new OCCT run. Again during the test I got that cap at 540 Mhz but when the full charge of the GPU ended the frequency went up to 1038 Mhz (!). I am afraid I have some limit reached because of my parents' home PSU when the GPU is requesting power. Do you agree on this ? Am I misunderstanding something ?

NOTE: By the way the situation is not too bad - when I look at the Fire Strike scores of the non OC same configurations as mine (but the driver) I am only 10% below the best ones. What is quite funny is that these best scores are hit with using the 353.82 driver that is the one that W10 installs by default if you let the OS to choose. The even more funny thing is that 353.82 is even not said to be a 9xx driver but a Quadro one (I wrote more on this on NoteBook Review forum).

NEXT steps I planned :

1) Doing the benchmarks with my "good" PSU to see if results improve

2) Do a fresh install of the 352.84 driver as per last version + method given by @J95 and redo the benchmarks to see if results improve

3) If no improvement, let W10 reinstall the 353.82 driver and redo the benchmarks to see what results I get

I will keep you posted. If you have any good explanation for the 540 Mhz behaviour I described above please give me a post.

• Thumbs Up 1

@nick81 Optimus AW17 R1 (nvcvi.inf) tweaking is not required, specific sections only, otherwise black screen...I've already explained this.

Just compare "sections" w/ stock nvcvi.inf...:D

- - - Updated - - -

@spacetauren both guides 352.84 (Win10) & 353.00 (Win8.1) are mostly identical...thanks, corrected 352.84 PEG MOD Win10

Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels

Uninstall both EVGA PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS)

Skip the batch files step/980Ms. Just try updating the game profiles "Full_Profiles_v352.84.txt" and use NV Inspector for P-States matching.

980M reference:

26U6cwX.png

Valley Extreme HD preset @1262/2950

Flash Prema's CLEVO_6GB_GTX970M_OC_PM_v1.1.1.rar

Stock GTX 970M:

Set P1 only (skip P0) -> "Unlock Max" set Core 1038 MHz -> Memory Clock 2505 MHz -> right click "Create Startup Task" http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-151.html#post130924

@spacetauren glad to hear you are 'OK', tragic events still occurring every single day unfortunately.

- Install 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 not Woodzstack's dropbox incomplete mod (my inf mod) T|I forum rules.

- PSU minimum 240W.

- Please drop OCCT and use Valley instead.

- "P1" besides core 1038 MHz you need to set vram to 2505 MHz, like explained above.

PEG MODs Update:

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 Profiles update: Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

• NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_5_v353.00.txt
  • NV Inspector -> restore current profile to Nvidia defaults -> reboot
  • NVCPL -> Manage 3D settings -> Set High Performance...etc.

352.84 PEG MOD Win10, Profiles update: Full_Profiles_2_352.84.txt (no need to reinstall drivers).

Feedback...appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 359.00 WHQL

• Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate
  • Overwatch: Beta
    *Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
  • Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*
  • Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe
    INF MOD v359.00

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

GeForce 359.00 WHQL Win7/8.1
    GeForce 359.00 WHQL Win10

Thank dude! I've been waiting for new drivers to Windows 10 for my Geforce GTX 880m! Very Thanks! It`s work great it my Alienware M18x R1!

@J95 Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 to try it out. I've been trying to install the modded drivers but keep getting the following error. I followed the same method I used to install the NVidia drivers in Windows 8.1 and can't figure out why I'm getting this error now. I would also like to mention that my Windows 10 upgrade procedure had some minor issues. Instead of directly upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1, I reset my laptop to factory settings which is Windows 8. Then upgraded to 8.1 and then to Windows 10. Also after upgrading to Windows 10, I installed a new SSD and cloned my old HDD and tried to boot from SSD therefore I had to mess around with BIOS settings. It worked but booting from the SSD kept flickering my display at desktop continuously, so I removed SSD, returned to my old HDD and reset Bios. So I don't if any of that is causing this error and any help would be appreciated. post-39725-14495001285073_thumb.png

• J95 pinned this topic