Gradual Degradation of 3DMark Fire Strike Produces Unreliable Results

On 12/15/2016 at 0:53 PM, Futuremark_James said:

I asked the team about the CPU power monitoring. It seems there was a concern that it didn't work reliably, or at all, with some hardware.

We're going to look into it again and see whether that is still the case.

Thank you.

On 15.12.2016 at 8:53 PM, Futuremark_James said:

Hello. James from Futuremark here again.

We've confirmed that there was an issue with the GUI, and we're in the process of rolling out an update (3DMark v2.2.3509) that should fix the scoring discrepancy.

With this update, overall scores increase slightly by up to 0.3%. Scores from the Physics and CPU parts of benchmark tests may improve by up to 2.5%. These changes bring the scores from 3DMark v2.2.3509 back in line with results from earlier versions that did not have the GUI issue.

For context, it is normal for 3DMark scores to vary by up to 3% between runs since there are some factors in a modern, multitasking operating system that cannot be completely controlled. So again, all credit to @Papusan for noticing the problem and bringing it to us.

To get the update, just open 3DMark and you should get a notification with the option to install it. The Steam version and Steam demo have also been updated.

Feedback from my testing the new 3DM GUI version .... Success

Downloaded latest UI Version2.2.3509_64.
My setup is unchanged. Only the updated 3DM GUI is new. Fire Strike physics score back to normal for my [email protected] = +15505
Power draw is also back to normal with this updated GUI versions. Nice :) Thanks @Futuremark_James
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11095260/fs/11049261

[IMG]

Edit.  @Futuremark_James  Can you look at the ccustom settings in 3DM suite? I and several use this feature a lot... Every time I come back to  custom settings and want a new test EG. Only the physics or other subtest, I must choose what custom test I should run every time I launch 3DM. It should not be like this. Do what you've always have done with older 3DM11 ... Custom Setup is already put up as in the previous testing days before. This means that 3DM suite should remember previous custom settings for the next time you want to test EG physics or other subtests.

@Mr. Fox Can you chime in and explain better if this isn't clear. I want a change for better custom settings like the older 3DM11. Thanks

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

@Futuremark_James  Can you look at the ccustom settings in 3DM suite? I and several use this feature a lot... Every time I come back to  custom settings and want a new test EG. Only the physics or other subtest, I must choose what custom test I should run every time I launch 3DM. It should not be like this. Do what you've always have done with older 3DM11 ... Custom Setup is already put up as in the previous testing days before. This means that 3DM suite should remember previous custom settings for the next time you want to test EG physics or other subtests.

@Mr. Fox Can you chime in and explain better if this isn't clear. I want a change for better custom settings like the older 3DM11. Thanks

You did a nice job of explaining it. And, I agree with you. I prefer using 3DMark 11 instead. One reason is that it is a better benchmark tool, but also because it does remember my custom settings. This is useful for testing purposes and having to manually change everything each time I open the benchmark because it does not remember my last used settings is inconvenient.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

You did a nice job of explaining it. And, I agree with you. I prefer using 3DMark 11 instead. One reason is that it is a better benchmark tool, but also because it does remember my custom settings. This is useful for testing purposes and having to manually change everything each time I open the benchmark because it does not remember my last used settings is inconvenient.

Bilderesultat for Pictures of thinking same

Edited by Papusan

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as any form of metrology (benchmark) starts to drift away from a reference standard it becomes impossible to draw comparisons from machine to machine or from one configuration to the next. 

Everything needs to be traceable to a reference piece of hardware that does not change; that means the reference computer does not get operating system updates, drivers changes to any device or even the environment it is operated in (we know that temperature really does affect performance).

For any of these companies that make benchmarking systems they need to adopt some "reference box" and the scoring systems need to be compensated against that reference box of the software tool becomes meaningless.

In electrical engineering test environments we use NIST traceable standards for everything from voltage, capacitance, resistance and timing. If you do not have a reliable reference then you are back in the days when "one foot" meant the size of the king's shoe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2016 at 5:52 AM, Papusan said:

Thanks for the help bro @Mr. Fox

I have sent a new feedback mail to Futuremark v/jarlo Kokko for the 10th time... Futuremark have said long time ago to me in the mail that "They have reproduced in-house and investigation is ongoing" I have send them a lot of result for their investigation. Nothing happens as you can see in the pictures - links!!!

And when they finally push out the new <FIXED> 3DM version after 3 months, so is the 3DM benchmark software in an even worse condition...

Like the last time... New 3DM suite UI 2.2.3488 64 version out 9th Dec. = Fiasko!! Then they need to push out an even newer one because the trouble witht the first one out... 1 day later aka 10th Dec. The newest messed up come out <UI 2.2.3491 64>.

Same mess happened last two time as well(I think in July and Aug). Futuremark have BIG problems with their 3DM Suite!!!

See results. Both older UI versions 2.0.2067_64 and 2.0.2809_64 will give 15002 in Physics with [email protected] and both 2 latest drivers from Nvidia!! Newer UI versjons of 3DM Suite will give up to 400 points lower physics in fire Strike. All tested with same Nvidia drivers, stock graphics and 4.8GHz on processor.

Mine tests!!(Papusan)
Tested with latest Nvidia driver 375.95
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11036017/fs/11035883#

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATIwMTAwAC0wMzg3LWIyMTUtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADwkSjwPjSaEOmnZD9pA30agcA3iLIgJScN0%2B372ByGILsMAAAAgEJAAAA3iLIgJScN0%2B372ByGILsMAAAAGmQpAkAAAABEgAQAOqCxfKe7LdKqSR6puJCNvo%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=opY4l8jSikGpqsCtzlNPKMA86CdFI9QYFSZL4xjbhinkp0FKNgP_JX-NikVY4V-9p469I5T1N3E.&token=d85380cf-2300-4072-b719-c64cd0c4c8f2&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

Tested with latest Nvidia driver 376.19
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11049261/fs/11057220

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATIwMTAwAC0wMzg3LWIyMTUtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADwkSjwPjSaEOmnZD9pA30agcA3iLIgJScN0%2B372ByGILsMAAAAgEJAAAA3iLIgJScN0%2B372ByGILsMAAAAGmQpAkAAAABEgAQAPQ0Tbk2MKpMr06M9Fq892A%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=opY4l8jSikGpqsCtzlNPKMA86CdFI9QYFSZL4xjbhinkp0FKNgP_JX-NikVY4V-9p469I5T1N3E.&token=d85380cf-2300-4072-b719-c64cd0c4c8f2&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

what is, hypothetically, you hacked your install inf file and renamed the driver version your installing to a different one, does it change the score ? I ask this because I;ve always wondered if they are in league with INTEL and NVidia in the way that they assign handicaps to older hardware and assign a "BOOST" score to newer / next gen once it's released, to sort of bloat numbers in thier favor of selling hardware.  They do after all design hardware to be replaced regularly, they are not trying to do us any favors with this stuff after all. Its all just a money gimmick !