M17X R4 GTX 1060 upgrade

Ripsaw

I don't see any other reason than PSU bottleneck which could explain that:

-GPU load average value while gaming stays around 70%, not reaching 100% (this is why GPU temp is so low, with 100% GPU load it would be higher)

-FS combined score is lower while physics score is higher when overclocking the CPU

Also, 240W PSU doesn't mean the system will run smooth until above 239W power draw. Power limit alert will appear before. I had just the same kind of problem.

If you know someone who have a 330W PSU, just ask him if you can give it a try, it would be the easier way to check. But it's really looking like a PSU problem.

13 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

If the gtx 1060 really draws 135W, then we would see thermal throttling on our systems and high temps (m17x r4 is designed to cool 100W cards). Hwinfo shows a power draw of up to 80W.

I'm on a 240W power supply with no problems just for reference

try using msi afterburner with fire strike and look at the hardware monitoring (right side). you should see power limit.

mine has many spiks during benchmark 

18 minutes ago, decool said:

try using msi afterburner with fire strike and look at the hardware monitoring (right side). you should see power limit.

mine has many spiks during benchmark 

yes but take it with as grain of salt, because the wattage use in Pascal gpus perform in different manner than Maxwells one, because of turbo3.0

I don't think so, there is clearly a power throtteling

that was captured with EVGA when FS is on

Capture.PNG

also i can't find why should i change my CPU, I compared it with other newer CPU and they pretty the same

Capture.thumb.PNG.842c7e7f19e5e64db6f194e831b3b189.PNG

Edited by decool

the 3940xm can be overclocked to about 4,2 ghz, then it's a bit better than the rest. Not a lot better but still better, and for a build where I try to get the best parts possible the i7 3940xm is the perfect candidate. At least for myself since my i7 3610qm wasn't overclockable.

I was pretty fortunate enough that I could buy one from a local guy who had two left from old DELL workstations for 230 euro. But there are some on ebay that get listed for 200-300 dollar, like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-3940XM-CPU-3-0GHz-Extreme-Quad-Core-SR0US-Laptop-Processor-/302342043789?hash=item4664fd788d:g:reQAAOSw5cRZNuys

To be honest though, if your i7 works fine then there's not really a reason to upgrade, my primary reason for upgrading is that I want to completely build my laptop using the best parts, so I won't have to upgrade it ever again, and the i7 3940xm is the strongest cpu it can run (well with some special heatsink/fan mods) with a nice little overclock it'll make the i7 7820hk make a run for it's money

Edited by naightmehr

3 hours ago, naightmehr said:

the 3940xm can be overclocked to about 4,2 ghz, then it's a bit better than the rest. Not a lot better but still better, and for a build where I try to get the best parts possible the i7 3940xm is the perfect candidate. At least for myself since my i7 3610qm wasn't overclockable.

23 minutes ago, decool said:

Hey decool, where are you located, I've a 3940xm (sr0us) to sell, I'm going to insert in NBR forum too soon, make 4,3Ghz at 0 Flex

22 hours ago, decool said:

I don't think so, there is clearly a power throtteling

that was captured with EVGA when FS is on

Capture.PNG

also i can't find why should i change my CPU, I compared it with other newer CPU and they pretty the same

Capture.thumb.PNG.842c7e7f19e5e64db6f194e831b3b189.PNG

I'm going to install EVGA to see if my readouts are the same with FS.

Edited by Ripsaw

Okay. FS test done. Looking at the last two tests that ran (Physics and Combined) matched your results almost perfectly. I guess you launched EGVA before the physics test ran right? Take a look at my screenshot on the right hand side of the graphs where the two tests happened.

I got an overall score of 9.3K in firestrike.

All hardware and fan settings were on default settings.

temps2.thumb.png.0772082e83a47d8200680b87ed3fe904.png

For an apples to apples comparison, I'm not convinced that you have a power supply issue from these results. Those power limit spikes are for the GPU only, where the 80W limit is reached. When this happens, GPU boost automatically adjusts clocks to stay within 80W. It oscillates a little as with any control system but that is no where near enough to cause any frame drops. (For some reason EVGA won't log the framerate for me. Sorry!).

I've done a little overclocking on the GPU after. I can reach just over 10K in FS. Comparing it to current gtx 1060 laptops with i7 6700 and 7700 with similar clocks, I'd say that both of our setups are capable of competing with new 1060 powered laptops.

http://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2.81616535.141054231.1496849796-1121285817.1496849796#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/fs/P/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Notebook)&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Notebook)

Again, at this point, I can't see a power supply issue here. Elder scrolls online as a game is CPU bound to one core and I wouldn't say it's very graphically demanding for a gtx 1060. Maybe this explains the low GPU usage in that game? Official system requirements only ask for a 560ti as "recommended". A gtx 1060 has at least double the performance of that so it doesn't need to run full tilt.

In regards to your CPU overclocking, I too tried to overclock my i7 3820QM and found benchmarking results to be lower with passmark. A modded BIOS could unlock power settings for the CPU that might remedy this. I can't really help you with that as I have not modded my BIOS.

Edited by Ripsaw

1 hour ago, Ripsaw said:

I guess you launched EGVA before the physics test ran right?

yes that's what i did 

1 hour ago, Ripsaw said:

GPU boost automatically adjusts clocks to stay within 80W

so is there a way to bypass this control or at least increase the power limit (let's say to 90W).

On 2017-6-7 at 6:23 PM, decool said:

so is there a way to bypass this control or at least increase the power limit (let's say to 90W).

None so far. We need a Vbios mod, which no one has cracked for pascal cards yet. 

There isn't a Vbios for an mxm 1060 that exceeds 80W. I don't think you can flash any other Vbios on it either.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

So YES 60Hz is possible with optimus thanks to the update from November actually working for the HD Intel (for a few months after it wouldn't install but otherwise was supporting pascal)

YES with a 120Hz panel 1060's will work flawlessly if you are in PEG mode for the graphics. If you have a 120Hz panel and an old 660/675/680M GPU that your running in legacy mode, then you need to get an unlocked bios, or find a way to switch to PEG.

Does anyone have the unlocked A12 bios ? (or link, please).

Also we have new EURO 1070 which works for Optimus, we had to change the vbios to limit the card to 90W in the Alienware systems, it' getting about 15,250 in the graphics score of the Firestrike. So about less then 10% the typical full powered desktop would get you but like 50% more then a 1060N.

We also have a EURO 1060 as well to match the MSI 1060N but have not yet tested it 100%. 

Edited by Lee James Wood
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

Hi, I purchased an MSI 1070 for attempted use in my m17x r4 and it is not detected when I boot with it in my system. Unlocked a11 bios reports "not detected" for discrete graphics when trying to use this card. Can anyone advise? Am I missing a step? I have a 1920x1080 60hz display, but thought that was fine as long as I was running in optimus mode. @naightmehr, you've been such a help in the past. Do you have any input on this?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, naightmehr said:

In the unlocked bios set video options to "SG", check if windows detecs the graphics card.

My video options were set to "SG" and windows did not detect the card. I have UEFI enabled, but I don't have "Legacy ROM options" disabled because I don't have a way of cloning my sdd at the moment and didn't want to reinstall everything on a new partition. Could that be the problem?

Yeah sorry unfortunately I do not have enough information to give you a concrete answer.. I don't think it'll recognize the gpu until you can load it's uefi drivers and get it properly installed, I mean bios isn't that important as long as windows detecs the gpu.

I have converted to a GPT partition and have disabled the legacy boot rom option. My bios is set to SG in video settings and windows still does not detect the card. That's real unfortunate, as I purchased this card a little more than a month ago, and took that time getting the rest of the components needed to attempt an upgrade (new lcd panel, processor, etc) to do it all at once, so I don't believe I can get my money back... I hope the cards not dead and it's something else that I'm overlooking.

EDIT: Was just going through bios and found that my lcd panel type was still set to 1600x900 or something else from my old panel. My resolution in windows was 1920x1080, but not in bios. I changed this to 1920x1080 LVDS in bios hoping that would make a difference, but it did not. Can anyone tell me all of their advanced video settings, pci-e settings, etc in their bios if they have a 1060 or 1070 working with a 60hz panel in optimus mode? That would be greatly appreciated

Also, if it helps, this isn't where I bought it, but this is the exact card that I have

Nvidia GTX 1070mxm 3.1

Edited by FirebirdTA01

• 2 months later...