M17X R4 GTX 1060 upgrade

Ripsaw

I've solved the missing hard drive problem,

i also installed the driver for the 1060, 

i'm downloading the 3dmark tool, i'll keep you informed 

any suggestion for temprature monitoring tool, fps ?

16 hours ago, decool said:

There is also 3 unkowen devices in device manager (nvidia stereo controller + 2 unkowen devices) that i need to search the drivers.

Most of the time one is the freefall sensor driver and the other one is the OSD driver. Have you installed those driver?

1 minute ago, Zoldago said:

Most of the time one is the freefall sensor driver and the other one is the OSD driver. Have you installed those driver?

No, do I need to install them ? or it's simply a waste of space ?

11 hours ago, Zoldago said:

They are not needed to have a functional system, but i prefer a clean device manager.

So it's on you what you prefer.

ok

do you know any tool to monitor the VRAM temperatures?

On 11.3.2017 at 10:38 PM, Ripsaw said:

Both. The new pascal card don't support LVDS. That's a card limitation.

DELL could not of foreseen this, then again they made two connectors for two screen options. I don't know if that was a hardware limitation with the 3D screens, but DELL also did not expect people to install cards beyond the 7xx series (as of course they wanted to push the new Laptop models).

GTX 1060 works with LDVS without Problems in MSI GT70,this is not a Problem from the Card.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 22/5/2017 at 0:32 AM, Bloetschkopf said:

GTX 1060 works with LDVS without Problems in MSI GT70,this is not a Problem from the Card.

IIRC it convert trough optimus

2 hours ago, decool said:

hello,

I'm facing actually some power limit problems with my gtx 1060.

i've noticed  it while playing ESO with msi afterburner.

I have a dell PSU 240 W. 

Can you post some screenshot for understand better and comparison with my 1060?

What you are seeing is the GPU reaching its power limit. Using HWinfo or equivalent, can you find out what the peak power draw is? 

If it's in the realm of 80W then that's normal. All mobile gtx 1060s are limited to 80W. Until someone mods the bios or finds a hardware mod to bypass this, this is the best you can get. You can overclock it to 2000 MHz, but in reality the power limit reduces the core clock under load (more than stock still!).

Heaven benchmark shows a frame rate gain when overclocked, even though it's drawing the same power. You can try this for yourself if you want. I got +150 MHz on the core and +94 MHz on the memory without artifacting.

Edited by Ripsaw

I don't know about the game you're playing, but you can notice that your GPU load is around 60% to 70% while you're gaming. I'm not sure if this is a normal behavior with this game, I guess this is more likely because you're hitting PSU limit. What is the GPU load when running Firestrike combined test? If it's not close to 100%, it means you're hitting 240W PSU limit, I had same problem with my 1070 which was bottlenecked by the PSU. If your game needs both high CPU load and high GPU load at the same time, you may hit PSU limit when gaming, while you still have good graphics score while benchmarking since CPU is not at full load.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, An0npl4y said:

What is the GPU load when running Firestrike combined test? If it's not close to 100%, it means you're hitting 240W PSU limit

you are right An0npl4ythat was PSU holding me back.

I overclocked the CPU to get more fps for my game (The Elder Scrolls online) cause it seems thats it was CPU dependant and rely only on one core :/

So when i tried Fire Srike i got 9k score (vs 9k5 when done for the first time).

I switched back to default XTU, stopthrottle and the bios setting for CPU overclock and with a litte OC on the GPU i get 10k score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20272148

but the problem still. how do I up my CPU to make CPU dependant games run better.

I checked out and find that mine was not that different than an i7 6700hq 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3740QM/m34954vsm2919 

I don't think that the i7 3740qm is overclockable, you can allow some tweaks so it goes up by like 0.1 or 0.2 ghz ( at least for my 3610qm) but if you really want to have the best cpu possible you should consider getting an i7 3940xm, it goes up to about 4.2 ghz. But be warned, it's an absolute hothead and without lapping the heatsink, adding an alienware m14x fan and adding extra heatpipes, it's going to get hotter than 90 degrees so you won't be able to run it without throttling. 

You're at a point where you have to make a choice. If you keep the 240W PSU, overclocking the CPU will produce extra amperage draw, so GPU performance will decrease. Best way to fix this is upgrading the PSU to a genuine 330W Dell PSU so you can OC your CPU and enjoy your GPU performance in full load at the same time. 3740QM is perfectly overclockable by the way.

Before buying a new Power supply, is there any way you can measure the power draw from the wall? I'm a little sceptical when a 45 watt CPU and an 80 watt in combination with other hardware could draw over 240 watts. A link here reviews the m17x r4 with a 45 watt CPU and a 100 watt GPU at release.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-M17x-R4-Notebook-Review.75292.0.html

A maximum peak of 166 watts was recorded, leaving plenty of head room for the CPU turbo mode, overclocking and charging the battery and other peripherals. Even with a 120 Hz screen, lots of USB powered devices plugged in and overclocking shouldn't exceed 240 watts. Anyway have a go at finding software or hardware that can measure the power draw from the power supply, just in case.

Edited by Ripsaw

23 minutes ago, Zoldago said:

Looks like that is the power draw of the system, including the CPU. Look at the Furmark benchmark for the Aspire VN7 and compare to the witcher 3 one (Furmark is less CPU intensive).

If the gtx 1060 really draws 135W, then we would see thermal throttling on our systems and high temps (m17x r4 is designed to cool 100W cards). Hwinfo shows a power draw of up to 80W.

I'm on a 240W power supply with no problems just for reference

Edited by Ripsaw