How to modify my vBIOS to accept a Maxwell core, upgraded from Kepler? Acer Aspire V3-771g

SAA

Hello, I'm planning to upgrade the GPU on my Acer notebook from a GT650M  (GK107) to a GTX960M (GM107), and I have finally aquired all the tools + core that I need, but I'm missing one last thing. 

I need modify my vBIOS to accept a Maxwell core on my motherboard, as it is configured to Kepler cores. 

There exist no official version of my notebook with Maxwell-core GPUs, so no official compatible BIOS is available. 

I need to learn how to modify my BIOS for this purpose but I have no idea where to begin.

Could anyone here provide any guides on how to make this happen? 

Thank you, 

SAA

@senso  I know how to solder, there is absolutely a way to put a 960m there . (Though that would be pointless at this moment, read below)

@Khenglish

The software I used specified the wrong vRAM in my system, leading me to believe that I had GDDR5 and therefore making me think a 960m is compatible. Research online regarding what were installed on my motherboard gave no results, so I had to open up the notebook to see for myself.

To my disappointment I discovered I had Hynix DDR3 vRAM on my motherboard, so a 960m is not compatible after all.

There exists, however, a version of the 950m that use DDR3 vRAM, but I'm having trouble locating the vBIOS online. I will do some further research into the issue.

The gpu footprint is totally different, if you dont believe me, buy stencils for reballing, one for the 650m and one for the 960m.

I had the same idea, but a much smaller jump, from a 630m to a 640 or 650m, totally different, two extra rows and columns of solder balls.

Sorry for replying late, I have been very busy with work.

@Khenglish You're right, the 850m also came with both DDR3 and GDDR5. IIRC I browsed through some discussions that a user had problems with a vBIOS because it had specified one kind of vRAM, while the user had the other kind. I found through binge-reading up on the subject, so I can't recall what site it was from. But better to be safe than sorry.

Are you saying flashing a 850m vBIOS (if I find one) could work if I had installed a 950m core?

@senso I have no doubt you encountered issues when trying to swap a G630m core to 640/650. The G630m uses a GF108 core, while 640 and 650 uses GK107 core. (Except for one kind of G640m LE version, which was made in 2 versions: GF108 and GK107. My understanding is that the BGA of these cores are different.

650m and 960/950m is GK107->GM107. The G*107 part would make them compatible. 

I am basing this on the limited avaible information around this forum and the rest of the internet, so some things may naturally be inaccurate.

On 12/15/2016 at 8:29 PM, senso said:

The gpu footprint is totally different, if you dont believe me, buy stencils for reballing, one for the 650m and one for the 960m.

I had the same idea, but a much smaller jump, from a 630m to a 640 or 650m, totally different, two extra rows and columns of solder balls.

There are 2 different bgas for the low end cores. There's a smaller one that's low end only, and a larger one that takes some low end but is the same bga as the mid range cores.

• 2 weeks later...