MSI GT70 0NE. Is it possible to OC the CPU? Are my temps safe?

№1 Toxic Shitter

I'm heavily bottlenecked by the CPU in some of the games I play.  My current solution is running ThrottleStop at a constant 34T(which in practice means a 32x multiplier... for some reason) multiplier, with disabled BD prochot to prevent throttling. Since the GPU and the CPU are both on one heatsink, my CPU temps are seemingly through the roof. My GPU maxes out at 80(which is another issue in its own right, since it throttles), while my CPU maxes out at 100, if I were to believe MSI Afterburner and 94, 93, 85, 81 for each core if I were to believe ThrottleStop. I can probably lower them somewhat by repasting. I'm also using a dinky three-cooler CM USB cooling pad, although I plan upgrading to their outlet-powered 180mm pad/hub, so that will help things along.

My questions:

* Is there any way whatsoever to increase clockspeeds beyond simply using maximum turboboost multiplier?

* Is there a way to *affordably* upgrade the CPU(and for that matter GPU) on MSI-GT70? By affordable I'm talking <200 usd per component, because otherwise I might as well just buy a new PC(which I will do later anyway).

* Are my current temps safe for my system in the long run? I've been running this without a hitch for half a year, but after MSI Afterburner giving me the 100 Celsius figure I'm beginning to have second doubts. This laptop has survived 5 years of abuse. It would be nice if it survived four more.

Edited by №1 Toxic Shitter

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe you should try new thermal paste. I have Gt70-2PE that was having some heat issues.

I Bought some artic cooling thermal paste and reapplied it ti the GPU and CPU. Th original MSI thermal paste was applied really messy causing the overheating problem. Don't apply it too much. After some googleling its quite easy

• 2 weeks later...

u can ask svet from Msi Forum he can unlock ur bios fully for a small donation

I have done it now 3 times and at the last unlocked bios u can add gtx 980m with plug and Play :D 

and u can try Liquid metal coolpaste the thermal grizzly conductonaut ist a bit harder as normal coolingpaste to use and u have to be carefull with it buuuut it have : 73W/(m·K) vs 12W/(m·K) or so :D 

Edited by Unreall

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, py930828 said:

You can OC your CPU by fresh the unlocked BIOS, however, the max frequency still depends on your CPU, sometimes you can only OC for 0.2MHZ even you have already unlocked the BIOS, the link is here.

Thank you for reminding me. I've been putting this off long enough, was waiting for my download limit to refresh. Time to give it a go.