EGPU power help

zzmane

So I currently am using a GDC beast 8.0 with a 220W dell power supply.

My GPU is the GTX 750 ti which does not require its own power.
In 2weeks time I want to upgrade my GPU to the GTX 1060 6gb version. I have 2 questions regarding this.

First, how would i power the new card, do i need to use a ATX power supply or can i just connect a pin from the GDC beast to the new GPU. Will the DELL 220W supply be enough for the card?

Second, my CPU is OLD. It is the first gen i5 540m for the 8440p. It only supports gen 1 port, atleast that is what @****** told me. Can i use a brand new card such as the 1060 on this CPU without issues with the EGPU? If you need any more information please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading.

1. The EXP GDC comes with an 8-pin to dual 6-pin. Use that to power the 1060.

2. PCIe is backwards-compatible. The 1060 will work. It will just be slow.

Considering you're on PCIe x1.1, I have a hunch there won't even be any performance benefit going from the 750 to the 1060. It may be wise not to bother with changing the card at all.

3. Read the geforce.com specifications for the TDP for the 1060.

• Founder
On 12/3/2016 at 8:31 PM, zzmane said:

So I currently am using a GDC beast 8.0 with a 220W dell power supply.

My GPU is the GTX 750 ti which does not require its own power.
In 2weeks time I want to upgrade my GPU to the GTX 1060 6gb version. I have 2 questions regarding this.

First, how would i power the new card, do i need to use a ATX power supply or can i just connect a pin from the GDC beast to the new GPU. Will the DELL 220W supply be enough for the card?

Second, my CPU is OLD. It is the first gen i5 540m for the 8440p. It only supports gen 1 port, atleast that is what @****** told me. Can i use a brand new card such as the 1060 on this CPU without issues with the EGPU? If you need any more information please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading.

Test

On 12/4/2016 at 0:46 AM, Arbystrider said:

1. The EXP GDC comes with an 8-pin to dual 6-pin. Use that to power the 1060.

2. PCIe is backwards-compatible. The 1060 will work. It will just be slow.

Considering you're on PCIe x1.1, I have a hunch there won't even be any performance benefit going from the 750 to the 1060. It may be wise not to bother with changing the card at all.

3. Read the geforce.com specifications for the TDP for the 1060.

So if you had a suggestion for a card that isnt that new that could be a upgrade to 1060, what could it be? would a 900 series card work? yeah i know the 1.1 is holding me back hard but currently no choice but to tough it through. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.