Help! Mac Mini (late 2014), Akitio Thunder 2, GTX970 OSX 10.11.6

Dizza

I'm having some issues getting my EGPU setup working.

My setup is as follows:

Mac mini (Late 2014)

2.6GHZ i5

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 mb

OSX 10.11.6 (15G31)

Akitio thunder2

Gigabyte GTX970

Dell DA2 220w power supply, modified to power card

What I have done so far

I have been trying to use automate-eGPU to install everything. It seems to work fine (but it does say no board id detected)

I have tried using a bunch of different drivers (have tried all of these for 10.11.6 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306535-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-el-capitan-update-10242016/ ) 

System report lists graphics/Displays as: 

Intel Iris (as normal) 

Nvidia Chip Model

[Chipset model: Nvidia Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Land Width: x4

VRAM: 256mb

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Rom Revision: Preset 1.0.0]

I'm no expert on this process, but it seems most other people are having a much easier time with this process. 

Does anybody have any ideas as to why it isnt working?

Im very stuck. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers!

Hi,

Have you tried setting Nvidia Web Driver to use Nvidia Web Driver only instead of OS X Default Graphics Driver in Nvidia Web Driver preferences? 

Make sure you have the right Web driver installed, Goalque’s script should automatically download, modify and install correct web driver for you. This is what it did for me.

Make sure you press "y" on every question the script asks.

Nvidia web drivers are turned on.

I have tried the drivers that the script installed, and attempted about a dozen alternatives as well. 

This is all on a fresh install of El Capitan as well. 

Just noticed it is now showing up in system report as:

'Display'

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

That is what it showed for me,  when i had web driver set to OS X Default Graphics Driver. To fix this i simply just set web driver to to use NVidia Web Driver.

Do you have PCIE connectors inserted to your eGPU? Your eGPU probably wouldn't even be located in OS X without them in though.

I am confused when you say you tried variety of Web drivers.

Except for the Beta ones (have "b" in version) they are all hard locked to a specific OS build. 

If his script says  "Thunderbolt found but no egPU " then you need to hot plug it again and try running again.

If his script doesn't complete running, it won't work.

Sadly everyone got lazy while he supported the script and the "How to mod yourself" info is buried and no longer current.

If I find time in next couple weeks I will post a complete "How To" mod the kexts yourself.

Goalie has no interest in supporting his collection of other people's work anymore and has moved on to try to sell a paid app.

So, you either need to read old posts that fit your combo or...

I have a 2014 Mini, it should work fine. I haven't tried it with goalie's script as I do custom mods and it works. His script SHOULD work, he "borrowed" from the best.

But if you partially run it and never get the "It's all done, reboot" message, it won't work.

If you go force-installing a variety of Nvidia Web drivers, it won't work.

It's important to stick to the beaten path if you don't understand what's going on with those mods.

43 minutes ago, MVC said:

I am confused when you say you tried variety of Web drivers.

I only tried some other links when the first did not work.

Except for the Beta ones (have "b" in version) they are all hard locked to a specific OS build. 

If his script says  "Thunderbolt found but no egPU " then you need to hot plug it again and try running again.

It knows the GPU is there, just doesn't know what it is or how to use it.

If his script doesn't complete running, it won't work.

Sadly everyone got lazy while he supported the script and the "How to mod yourself" info is buried and no longer current.

If I find time in next couple weeks I will post a complete "How To" mod the kexts yourself.

I've been trying to do it manually, but it's very hard to find the info. You're right.

Goalie has no interest in supporting his collection of other people's work anymore and has moved on to try to sell a paid app.

So, you either need to read old posts that fit your combo or...

I have a 2014 Mini, it should work fine. I haven't tried it with goalie's script as I do custom mods and it works. His script SHOULD work, he "borrowed" from the best.

But if you partially run it and never get the "It's all done, reboot" message, it won't work.

If you go force-installing a variety of Nvidia Web drivers, it won't work.

It's important to stick to the beaten path if you don't understand what's going on with those mods.

I only left the beaten path when the tried and true solutions didn't work. 

I tried it in my 2014 Macbook Pro i7 and it didn't work there either. I'm beginning to think that the card isn't working for some reason. 

Going to swap it out for a Gigabyte 750ti today and see if that works (seems to be a lot more success stories with that card)

Hi there, If you do end up getting it all working would you mind making a mini setup guide with all the information I would need as I have the same Mac Mini as you and plan to buy a akihito box and do the same.

Thanks in advance. 

All sorted! 

Turns out it was a dodgy card! (inspected the traces, and one of the ground traces was missing a component) 

Got it swapped and we are up and running! 

13 hours ago, sean_mag said:

Hi there, If you do end up getting it all working would you mind making a mini setup guide with all the information I would need as I have the same Mac Mini as you and plan to buy a akihito box and do the same.

Thanks in advance. 

There are heaps of guides online that talk you through the process. It's identical to any other MAC running that OS. Just follow those steps and you'll be fine! I don't really have time to type out a guide, too much work to catch up on (which will be much faster now) 

8 hours ago, Dizza said:

All sorted! 

Turns out it was a dodgy card! (inspected the traces, and one of the ground traces was missing a component) 

Got it swapped and we are up and running! 

There are heaps of guides online that talk you through the process. It's identical to any other MAC running that OS. Just follow those steps and you'll be fine! I don't really have time to type out a guide, too much work to catch up on (which will be much faster now) 

Okay, thanks for the response.