• Announcements

    • Brian

      Introducing T|I Marketplace/Classifieds!   11/24/16

      After a long wait, Tech|Inferno now has a Marketplace/Classifieds section where all registered (promoted and above) members can participate in selling, trading and seeking out items. This service is free to all members to use as they wish. Currently all ads last for a period of 14 days before they expire for promoted users. Those users belonging to T|I Elite, Contributor, Developer and Moderator have access to 30 day ad periods that are featured   Some easy rules to remember: Do not post multiple ads of the same product. Do not advertise here if you are a retailer or business. You must contact Tech|Inferno for advertising space. Keep ads civil, do not try to lowball members. You may contact them in private via PM if you feel their price is not to your liking. Harassing members will result in an infraction. It is recommended you have Heatware/eBay feedback to establish trading credibility.    Tech|Inferno assumes no liability for any sales posted in the Classified section. Always use common sense when buying/selling with traders and ask for their heatware/ebay feedback!   Enjoy!
Brian

Do you think AMD's new 8 core Zen processor will be competitive with Intel?

AMD's Zen Processor   58 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think AMD's new 8 core Zen processor will be competitive with Intel?

    • If priced right, I think it will be very competitive with Intel.
      32
    • I'm hopeful but skeptical due to its clock speeds.
      6
    • I don't think they'll be able to pull it off.
      20

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

So with AMD's 8 core Zen processor supposedly being released in January 2017, do you think it will keep up with Intel's latest offerings? And what is the max you'd be willing to pay for it? I've read indications it may be priced around $300 and be competitive with Intel Broadwell-E processors so if that is the case, it may be time for AMD to shine again. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose anything is possible, but I'd never entertain the idea of spending money on any AMD product at launch. I'd want to see tons of examples proving that is it equal to or better than the Intel equivalent before I would consider the notion of buying an AMD CPU instead of Intel. Same thing applies to AMD versus NVIDIA. Taking a chance on anything from AMD being desirable based on marketing hype has great potential to end in disappointment.

 

Answer:  I don't think they'll be able to pull it off.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 9:11 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I suppose anything is possible, but I'd never entertain the idea of spending money on any AMD product at launch. I'd want to see tons of examples proving that is it equal to or better than the Intel equivalent before I would consider the notion of buying an AMD CPU instead of Intel. Same thing applies to AMD versus NVIDIA. Taking a chance on anything from AMD being desirable based on marketing hype has great potential to end in disappointment.

 

Answer:  I don't think they'll be able to pull it off.

 

Fair enough, I share in your sentiments as well. What makes me slightly optimistic about Zen is the fact that OEMs have pre-purchased it and the few leaks we have seen seem promising. I don't think it will keep up with Intel in power efficiency and IPC either but if AMD can hit  90% of the performance Intel achieves with more cores + less cost then I think they will have a very solid platform on their hands. They also have been improving quite a bit on the GPU front with their drivers as they have started a regular cadence of releases again and now they have a Shadowplay equivalent called ReLive which is nice. We need two healthy viable competitors in the CPU and GPU space and AMD is definitely fighting against two opponents who are giants in their respective fields but at least on the CPU side of things, Intel has dragged its feet for years so this will push them to release something worthwhile I hope.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Brian said:

 

Fair enough, I share in your sentiments as well. What makes me slightly optimistic about Zen is the fact that OEMs have pre-purchased it and the few leaks we have seen seem promising. I don't think it will keep up with Intel in power efficiency and IPC either but if AMD can hit  90% of the performance Intel achieves with more cores + less cost then I think they will have a very solid platform on their hands. They also have been improving quite a bit on the GPU front with their drivers as they have started a regular cadence of releases again and now they have a Shadowplay equivalent called ReLive which is nice. We need two healthy viable competitors in the CPU and GPU space and AMD is definitely fighting against two opponents who are giants in their respective fields but at least on the CPU side of things, Intel has dragged its feet for years so this will push them to release something worthwhile I hope.

Yes, if it works out that way it would be wonderful. AMD releasing a socketed mobile CPU with 6700K performance would force Intel to back off of their BGA garbage kick as well. We could not ask for a better outcome than that. We would definitely need an AMD MXM GPU that holds its own against 1070 and 1080 to make that attractive to everyone. I don't know that I would like the idea of mixing AMD CPU with NVIDIA GPU. That just doesn't seem right. The possibility of great things is always welcome, and since I do not believe in brand loyalty, I'd kick Intel and NVIDIA to the curb without batting an eye. The winner is the winner. Brand is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, if it works out that way it would be wonderful. AMD releasing a socketed mobile CPU with 6700K performance would force Intel to back off of their BGA garbage kick as well. We could not ask for a better outcome than that. We would definitely need an AMD MXM GPU that holds its own against 1070 and 1080 to make that attractive to everyone. I don't know that I would like the idea of mixing AMD CPU with NVIDIA GPU. That just doesn't seem right. The possibility of great things is always welcome, and since I do not believe in brand loyalty, I'd kick Intel and NVIDIA to the curb without batting an eye. The winner is the winner. Brand is irrelevant.

 

AMD coming back in the GPU department would be amazing. Modding AMD vBIOS is a breeze. Power limits, clocks, voltages, and even memory timings is very easy to do. None of this inconsistent clocks crap that Pascal has. AMD vBIOS just works logically.

 

I'm still skeptical on Zen. We still don't know how it will clock. IPC has been rumored to be at the Broadwell level for some time, which is good enough. The Ryzen 3.4GHz+ on an 8 core sounds competitive with Intel, but Intel's been sandbagging so hard for so long it's hard to compare stock clocks to how well a chip can actually clock. The big question is when the voltage is raised, does Zen reach the 5GHz clocks that have been leaked for Kaby Lake so far, or does it struggle to break 4GHz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Modding AMD vBIOS is a breeze. Power limits, clocks, voltages, and even memory timings is very easy to do. None of this inconsistent clocks crap that Pascal has. AMD vBIOS just works logically.

 

AMD just recently added bios signature enforcement in their driver for Polaris so it made vBios modding a bit more difficult but still doable: https://www.techpowerup.com/228536/amd-bios-signature-check-re-enabled-with-relive-locks-out-polaris-bios-modders

 

But I agree it is far easier than the b.s. NVIDIA has done with Pascal. I think with Zen + Vega we're going to see AMD come back into the fight in 2017 so it should be an interesting year. Plus AMD recently licensed their Radeon IP to Intel for use in Intel iGPU so they're going to get a nice revenue bump from that. More money for AMD hopefully means more R&D money so they can put pressure on NVIDIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More information on Zen now known as Rizen: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/amd-zen-performance-details-release-date/

 

  • AMD RIZEN
  • 3.4 GHz base-clock (or greater) at launch.
  • 20 MB L2+L3 Cache
  • Processor chipset
  • SenseMI

 

 

I gotta say I'm getting more excited about Rizen now that it's release is approaching. Getting an 8 core CPU that has a higher base clock than Intel 8 core CPUs and uses less power is pretty great. I hope that it is able to keep up with Intel's IPC because that's the last remaining factor and if it can in most games and applications, then damn it will be an attractive platform for gamers. If AMD offers enthusiast notebook gamers socketed CPUs then all the better but I suspect that may not be the case simply because most of these ODMs want super thin and light and with that comes BGA filth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do people think the odds are of Vega showing up in some sort of MXM format? It's hard to tell, but it seems to be offering GTX 1080 performance with similar power draw. If it did I'd immediately jump to AMD. Their MXM cards back when they were competitive were always far cheaper than Nvidia cards. The $1200+ price tag for the MXM 1080 and $900+ for the MXM 1070 are utter BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khenglish said:

What do people think the odds are of Vega showing up in some sort of MXM format? It's hard to tell, but it seems to be offering GTX 1080 performance with similar power draw. If it did I'd immediately jump to AMD. Their MXM cards back when they were competitive were always far cheaper than Nvidia cards. The $1200+ price tag for the MXM 1080 and $900+ for the MXM 1070 are utter BS.

 

I think it depends on whether Clevo, Dell, Asus, MSI etc push for mxm based notebooks. If they have moved away from it then the chances of getting mxm from AMD are slim. Nvidia stopped furnishing reference mxm designs since it was supposedly too costly and that could be a reason why AMD won't bother either since they have even less working capital. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By rusTORK
      I know, i know, i know... @svl7 said it's disabled, @octiceps said it's disabled and many other forum users said it's disabled.
       
      I am always want to double check everything and i did it this time too. And i would like to post here result of my research. But first thing first - my PC:
       
      Laptop Configuration: Lenovo Y500 SLI
       
      CPU: Intel i7-3630QM (2400-3400 MHz, Ivy Bridge, QuadCore)
      VGA: 2x 2048Mb NVIDIA GeForce GT650M (SLI Configuration)
      MB: Compal LA-8692P
      RAM: 2x 4Gb Ramaxel RMT3160ED58E9W1600 (11-11-11-28)
      HDD: 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400 (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB)
      SSD: 120 Gb Samsung 850 EVO (MGX S4LN062X01)
      Display: 15.6" LG\Philips LP156WF1-TLC1 (1920x1080)
      WIN: MS Windows 10 Pro (x64)
       
      Also i must say, that i have got UNLOCKED BIOS by @svl7. And for second VGA too.
       
      Research
       
      It's beginning from @geraldthread about his Ultrabay to PCI-E Adapter for Lenovo Y510p for useing Radeon Desktop VGAs as external VGA. It's performed well with Y510p, but there was zero info about how it perform on Y500 or will it perform at all (now we know that it's no, but it's another story). Unlocked BIOS didn't help with adapter and i decided to dig more deep in re-enabling integrated GPU in Intel CPU - Intel HD Graphics 4000. And new unlocked BIOS give me a lot of new options to play. But important thing is... some of them working, some of them no. So, here is what i am founded.
       
      First i go to new unlocked BIOS and saw there a lot new tabs.

       
      I go to Advanced => Video Configuration => Special Features


      This option already was Enabled (Switch Graphic Function)
       

      After that i go to Internal Graphic Device and Enable Internal Graphics Device.
       
      Then save changes and exit. Laptop is shutdown and after few seconds turn on again. I saw Lenovo loading screen and then nothing when loading complete. Windows didn't start.
      I am restarted laptop three times and it's started recovery mode. From recovery mode i am loaded Safe Mode and at that point i am finally was at Windows.
       
      My first way goes to Device Manager to see new device. And there was new device - Intel HD Graphics 4000.

       
      In safe mode windows can't access to it's current status, but there also was no error codes. First time there was no driver installed, but now it's even have last driver!

       
      After that i go to AIDA64 Engineer Edition and look what it's show me. It's saw iGPU!

       
      So, at this point i don't what to think about it. I can see iGPU in safe mode, but i can't boot with it in normal Windows. Is AIDA64 lie to me or even Device Manager?
       
      What do your think about it?
       
      P.S. Oh yeah, most menus on Russian language, but i hope your got the idea and trust me. =) It's no fake.
    • By danielxyz
      Is that possible use it without external display?
      It always mention
      Radeon Settings are currently not available.Please try again after connecting a display to AMD graphics and extending the display.
    • By Jamie Legends
      Hi,   I have a Clevo P170EM with an AMD 7970M.   Last year I tried to change the vBIOS of my 7970M, a friend of my tried to change it because he wanted to ''overlock'' the card. He said no worries I said okay do it, then later on he returned my laptop and bricked both my card and the normal BIOS. I had to repair the laptop trough a repair company in the city. They only could repair the BIOS by doing another BIOS on it. They said to try everything with the card but my laptop wouldn't accept it.   The problem:   After the Windows 10 installation I installed all the drivers from the manufacters site (http://www.eurocom.com/ec/drivers(226)ec). Including the SSD driver, then I FIRST installed and fully updated the Intel HD Graphics. After that I installed the AMD videocard drivers (crimsons edition), the weird part is, AMD autodetect sees my card and so does Windows. Then the driver ask me to restart my laptop, after restarting the Windows logo appears then the screen goes black with a blinking cursor left upper screen.   I believe it has someting to do with the vBIOS of the card and I also believe that the card is not bricked but just wrong BIOS.     I asked the manufacter and they say that the card may be bricked, when I ask for the BIOS they would not provide it for free (bastards). I asked for both the motherboard and AMD card BIOS, they said I have to pay for it.   Question:   Can someone provide information and files for the right vBIOS? I mean the vBIOS that is standard.   Greetz,   Jamie   P.s I have some pictures and screenshot of Windows and the BIOS detecting the graphic card, the weird thing is both OS and BIOS detect the card but when I install the drivers it goes black   P.s.s I already tried everything AMD support provided so I have no use for comments like ''Try unistall with DDU'' or try with second monitor etc.     As you can see I've disabled the card because when I enable, Windows freezes and screen goes black.        
    • By R3dziu
      Hi guys!
       
      I have a big problem-> I need to undervolt my GPU (MSI 7970M@DELL_BIOS).
      I am using this vBIOS: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/132831/dell-hd7970m-2048-120629

      Stock VDDC on this GPU is 1.050V and when I changing this one to 0.975 in VBE7 it is ok-> I can save it and flash it. Computer succesfully restarts but when I check modded settings the VDDC is still on 1.050V
      I checked if the VBE7 seriously saving the VDDC to vBIOS but it is ok. I have no idead what i need to UV this card (i know it's possible...)
      Everything is changing (GPU, MEM MHz) but VDDC can't change.
       
      Please help me ;-)