Sign in to follow this  
Kuinox

Is eGPU worth it in my case?

Hi !

I'm new here, and i want to do an eGPU. I'm a student and a fervent gamer.

I have 900€ (selling old desktop PC) for this build + money of my pocket.

I was planning to buy a laptop with good processor for 600€, the aikitio thunder3 for 300€ and the GPU with my money.

So here my question:

1. Does all laptop with TB3 will run the eGPU ?

2. What are the difference with the TB3, TB2, and a desktop GPU ? I seen only the difference between TB2 and a desktop PC.

3. I've read some explanation on that, but it look realy messy, can someone explain or give me a link to me what i need to mod on the thunder3 boxes to make it work ?

Thanks !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TechAce
      Hello, I need help trying to put my setup to work. I recently purchased an Akitio Thunder 2 with a GTX 1050 ti Superclocked to implement it as an eGPU for my system. I have a Macbook Pro 15” mid 2012. I’m not interested in using it with OS X (I’ve read that there is not much support by Apple for Nvidia cards Series 10). My main goal is to use it using Windows 8.1. I had some trouble with the initial connection as Windows recognized the external card but it gave me error code 12. I already got rid of the error 12 problem. The situation now is that I connected a second display through the HDMI port of the eGPU and activated it using the Nvidia Control Panel. After a restart I choose to boot windows 8.1 again but the two displays get hanged with black screens and I only see the cursor. Anybody has had this problem and was able to fix it?

I did some further testing, decided to boot up with the eGPU connected but without the HDMI cable plugged. I was able to log in to Windows and the eGPU got recognized in device manager, but then I connected the HDMI cable and for one second I saw my Macbook screen displayed in the external monitor, then both screens hanged again with black screens only showing the cursor. I’m exhausted of experimenting and seeing no positive results...

My goal is to be able to use the eGPU with the internal monitor of the Macbook (if that is possible with my system). If not, I would like to know how I can set it to work with a second display. I will be very grateful if somebody can help me... Sorry for the long post.

• By douirc
      Hi!  I'm upgrading from X230 to T470s with a GTX 1060 6GB and am looking for a simple adapter equivalent to my PE4C.  Does it exist?  Everything I've seen are expensive boxes that are overkill for what I need.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    • By don007
      Hello everyone, I currently use my laptop for school/work and I know I could have gotten a better one but I didn't pay for it was given to me from my job. I recently purchased an HP omen accelerator and put a MSI 1050 ti in it. Knowing this set up wasn't going to work. My laptop is a i7  HP ENVY x360 Convertible-15m-bp0xx, it doesn't have any thunderbolt ports, it has a USB Type-C port with HP Sleep and Charge. I provided the picture, look at my ignorance. Please help. Is there another way around this, I feel like intel could have came up with a substitute by now.

• By SimoLoveApple
      Hi all, I have a macbook pro 15 inch retina mid-2015.
      I joined a Aikitio thunder2 with a graphics card GTX 1070 but there are problems with the internal monitor of my macbook.
      first of all we will list the specific to this topic.
      my macbook is equipped with two graphics cards, an integrated and a dedicated, integrated is an intel iris pro graphics while one dedicated is an amd radeon r9 m370x 2 GB gddr5, and obviously the eGPU GTX 1070.
      the problem is that with the external monitor connected via hdmi to egpu doesn't show any problem while using the internal monitor that should take the video signal from the thunderbolt has lagged.
      Mafia 3 with settings on external monitor turn 54 fps while on internal monitor turn 9 fps!!!
      i have windows 10 on bootcamp.
      There is not much difference and it occurs to me that the problem is the thunderbolt.
      members of tech hell please help me!
    • By SimoLoveApple
      Hi all, I have a macbook pro 15 inch retina mid-2015.
      I joined a Aikitio thunder2 with a graphics card GTX 1070 but there are problems with the internal monitor of my macbook.
      first of all we will list the specific to this topic.
      my macbook is equipped with two graphics cards, an integrated and a dedicated, integrated is an intel iris pro graphics while one dedicated is an amd radeon r9 m370x 2 GB gddr5, and obviously the eGPU GTX 1070.
      the problem is that with the external monitor connected via hdmi to egpu doesn't show any problem while using the internal monitor that should take the video signal from the thunderbolt has lagged.
      Mafia 3 with settings on external monitor turn 54 fps while on internal monitor turn 9 fps!!!
      There is not much difference and it occurs to me that the problem is the thunderbolt.
      members of tech inferno please help me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.