Nvidia eGPU detected but not driving internal LCD

Frizby

Greeting, all kindred souls!

I bought a 500w psu and GTX 1060 3GB today. It's been 6 hours+ that I try to get eGPU working with my laptop but for nothing.

At first, there was an error 43 which was fixed by clean uninstall with DDU and a complete install of driver 372.70 as suggested by members of this forum. Now I've got another issue, eGPU is detected in Device Manager without any errors but I can't seem to use it for gaming and instead iGPU is used.

Here's my specs:

V8.0 EXP GDC Beast PCI-E
Windows 10 64bit Home
MSI GT70 0NC
Intel i7-3610QM
Intel HD 4000
dGPU GTX 670M 3GB
eGPU GTX 1060 3GB
RAM 8GB

eGPU is detected by GPU-Z
gpuz.gif

I disabled dGPU in Device Manager. If I don't, when gaming, dGPU will be used instead.
mngr.png

When I try to enter Nvidia Control Panel, this error is shown.

control.png

Honestly, I'm about to give up and sell the whole setup as second-handed and suffer some damage and get over it. The reason I want eGPU because I can't afford the whole custom built PC and my laptop dGPU is breaking (sometimes, it not detected at all.)

Edited by Frizby

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Nvidia eGPU detected but not driving internal LCD

Might wanna take a look at this:

My eGPU recognises the external monitor but when I make it the primary it doesn't "turn on" and I'm simply reverted back to my internal LCD

If you see a brief flash on the external LCD then it could either be a faulty HDMI cable connected to the LCD or the PSU is insufficient to drive the eGPU to actually display something. I did encounter a intermittently faulty HDMI cause this problem.

Also, Optimus drivers newer than 258.96 will cause this if using a DVI-to-VGA adapter

I boot with the expresscard in my system. The internal LCD doesn't appear/work. Neither do I see x1.Opt performance (NVidia)

These system's bios will use the eGPU as the primary video if it detects it on bios startup. That means the iGPU will be disengaged. Problem then is the internal LCD won't work and neither will x1.Opt since they are both reliant on a iGPU to be the primary video card.

Solution is to boot past the bios with the eGPU switched off, then either:

• hotplug the EC2C by hitting F8 to stall the Windows boot proces
  • power on eGPU, resume in Windows

• boot Setup 1.30 and hotplug if need PCI compaction

I can't get internal LCD mode to work.

This appears to be the case if you attach your eGPU after Win7 boots. So either hotplug your eGPU at the Win7 bootloader menu (hit F8 to pause bootup). Another option is to install and configure Setup 1.30 to detect your eGPU and configure your PCI configuration space prior to chainloading to Win7.

AppInit_DLLs needs to be set for internal LCD mode to work

For games to launch on the internal LCD on systems with an intel iGPU, the AppInit_DLLs needs to route via a DLL. NVidia sets this to nvinit.dll. During my tinkerings I have seen this registry setting missing so internal LCD mode didn't work.

[H]
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:WindowsSysWOW64
vinit.dll"

Edited by Darkthor

Thanks for you response.

Thing I've yet to mention is that the Bus Interface displayed in GPU-Z occasionally change from x1 1.1 to 2.0 and vice versa. From what I've read, Beast adapter has a signal issue. This might be what prevents driving to internal/external monitor. So, is there a way to force pcie 1.1 or 2.0 or check the cable if it's faulty at all?

When the gpu not under load it tries to save power and downgrades the link to 1.1 speed. There is a questionmark icon next to that box to put some load on your gpu to check the real value. When you have signaling issues your display driver usually crash/restore or just BSOD the whole system with a nice VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE or THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER or similar exception.

Edited by Doink

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.