Which mini pcie WLAN card to buy

Hi

I have an ASUS g75VW laptop with 660m GTX gpu.

The wlan card has some issues. It does not very well handle handovers from the channels and is only a class n card. I want to replace it around xmas when I change the thermal paste.

output of linux lspci:

03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I have read on other sites that the intel 7260 ac wlan cards have some issues.

Can someone give me a suggestion for a laptop wireless card with ac standard and mini pci express connector? (I suppose the ASUS g75VW has the mini pci express connector. What I remember a year ago the connector looked similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express)

Thank you

Almost all Intel cards have the same "issue", its the scanwhileconnected key in registry that must be changed to 0, and you will no longer get any ping/lag spikes, because even when connected the card keeps looking for active networks and thats what causes the lag spikes, after discovering that I have edited the registry with regedit and they all perform flawless.

• 4 weeks later...

I have looked into that issue, what is available in central europe.

I wanted a realtek ac wlan card which basically only exists on ebay, for one brand I never heard of.

Intel has issues, when I read several pages that many intel wifi chip have issues I will not buy those.

Also those notebook wifi ac cards seems not to have the full potential regarding "speed"

IT seems there is a new formfactor for the wifi cards which seems to be introduced in recent years, I assume with hte new SSDs formfactor. So the products are less now for my 3-4 year old notebook as the mini pcie formfactor is basically "outdated" now and dead. There is only one product with an intel chipset with AC and thats it. And that has issues in windows afaik. so linux should have that issue too than.

I came to the conclusion that for my area, central europe, tehre are no AC Wlan mini pcie express cards available which work flawless for a reasonable price. One exotic card costs around 80 euro that is out of the question, and all others around 20-25 euros, which have all issues or do not support AC wlan at all. or are just b/g, without the n standard which my existing solution has. To make matters worse, bluetooth is also provided by that slot-in card. so the replacement should have bluetooth also