mPCIe/EC eGPU troubleshooting steps

DIY eGPU works great & the EGPU is recognizable. Unfortunately, I can only hotplug my eGPU at the moment. Setup 1xx can recognize the WiFi card, but does anyone know how to anti-whitelist a port 3 pci slot?

• 4 weeks later...

---------------------------------------------solved--------------------------------------

i dont know what i have done. but i just change the the tape to red color and take out the paperclip.:48_002:

i think the green led is broken so thats why i thought it didn't work. 

i will make thread for my hp 430 laptop egpu. thanks guys..

________________________________________________________________________________

Hi all,

i have managed to recognized my egpu. 

here are my system 

hp 430 (i5-2430m)

gigabyte nividia gtx 950OC

corsair vs450 450 watt

exp gdc beast v8.0

i managed to overcome the mpcie whitelist with biosmod. (with setup 1.3x no luck)

but, i can't pass to setup 1.3/windows with my egpu turned on. delay to 14s and i tried to isolate pin 22 with clear tape but still same. i did paperclip tricks but no hope.

so now i have to hotplug it (but in hdmi cable in my exp gdc).

my question:

1. is there any tricks other than pin 22 isolation? need to rid out this hotplugging.

2. if i use hdmi extender, will the performance of my egpu decrease?

Thank you guys

Edited by diabloretriever
solved

• 2 weeks later...

recently put my egpu im using a zotac gtx 960 with my toshiba satellite pro (windows 10) using the mpcie that was used by a wifi card but when i boot the laptop up at the same time with the egpu i get a black screen and when i start the egpu after i start the laptop up i wont detect the egpu in device manager 

can anyone help please

Edited by Fin The Human
  • Thumbs Up 2

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Fin The Human said:

recently put my egpu im using a zotac gtx 960 with my toshiba satellite pro (windows 10) using the mpcie that was used by a wifi card but when i boot the laptop up at the same time with the egpu i get a black screen and when i start the egpu after i start the laptop up i wont detect the egpu in device manager 

can anyone help please

I've the same problem with my Asus laptop.

When I'm with the black screen I need to do a manual reset of Bios.

Anyone has a solution??

Hello,

Just bought an eGPU setup and having some issues with setup. Upon booting, the Toshiba boot screen shows up on my external monitor, and hangs there. Cannot boot to Windows. Here are my specs:

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5387, Windows 10, i7-2670QM, no dGPU, 16GB RAM, EXP GDC Beast v8 hooked up via mPCIe, GTX 750TI w/ 430W ATX PSU.

Some pictures of the setup and screen where it hangs:

IMG_20160720_212723170.jpg

IMG_20160720_212736809.jpg

I have tried swapping down to 4GB and 2GB of RAM - same result. I tried booting up, sleeping computer, connecting eGPU, and waking, but when I connect the eGPU, the computer shuts off completely.

I suspect the problem is that the BIOS is whitelisted. If this is true, do I need to flash a modified BIOS, or might I be able to use the Setup 1.30 utility?

Can anyone confirm this and/or suggest a course of action? Any help is appreciated.

@Jong31 here are some alternatives you can try which have been helpful for me under different scenarios:

• Try booting your laptop with no external monitor plugged to your eGPU. Then if it boots correctly just plug the monitor when you are inside your OS.
  • Try plugging your eGPU after your laptop has booted. How? First boot with no eGPU connected or just turn off your PSU, Then, suspend your computer after you have logged to your OS. Next, plug your eGPU, or just turn on your PSU. Now wake up your computer.

Good luck.

23 hours ago, mrdatamx said:

@Jong31 here are some alternatives you can try which have been helpful for me under different scenarios:

• Try booting your laptop with no external monitor plugged to your eGPU. Then if it boots correctly just plug the monitor when you are inside your OS.
  • Try plugging your eGPU after your laptop has booted. How? First boot with no eGPU connected or just turn off your PSU, Then, suspend your computer after you have logged to your OS. Next, plug your eGPU, or just turn on your PSU. Now wake up your computer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately they did not work for my case. I'm going to pursue a modified BIOS, unless anyone has other suggestions or knows the BIOS is not the issue.

I connected with slot egpu launch wifi but when they saw vga and machine operation , the screen stays black and about 15 seconds to 1 beep emitted ( 3 times ) I did not understand what was happening . please help me.
sorry for my english very bad .. use google tranlate . thanks .. I hope you will answer me as soon as possible

I have a lenovo G780 and I'm trying to hook up a GTX 1070 to it.  (I'm using a PE4C V 3.0) and I'm hot swapping the card in after I boot the computer.  However when I look in device manager and open the 1070, this is it's status.  

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I do have a dGPU but disableing it causes my entire computer to crash and forces me to recovery boot.  any help would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys new at this site i search everywhere but cant still find any answer and i saw this site is the biggest egpu community so my problem is my egpu wont show in device manager but the fan works everything works.i try to connect the gpu on pc its shows up and works.but when i try to put it on the exp gdc v8 beast it works but not showing in the device manager.any suggestions?

SPECS:

LAPTOP Lenovo y580

Winds 10 pro

16gb ram

Nvidia driver(currently using v369.0 notebook edition for my gtx 660m(on umd mode in bois)to use egpu.

DIY EGPU:

beast v8.

Gpu asus gtx 760

Psu:corsairs 450wat

Thank you in advanced.

Matt.

[ solve ]Hello, how are when I install everything it detects everything to me without problems and the problem goes when I install the drivers and begin the laptop again then when the screen goes out ' Initiating Windows ' it ends and everything remains in black the monitor of the laptop and the day pupil.
Is anybody known solve like that?.
GPU: GTX 650 Ti Boost
CPU: I5 3337U
RAM: 6 Gb 1600MHz or 1333Mhz
It helps

Edited by xJulio17

Hello guys

I have a exp gdc beast v8 and GTX1070 as the eGPU. Power is supplied by 450w ATX. I found there are some problems when connect to both laptops. 

1. HP6470b 

CPU: i5 3320m (can upgrade to i7 2760 am)

Memory: 4 x 2G (can upgrade to 2x8G)

Chipset: HM76

No dGPU

Problem:

a. Blackscreen when start up no mater how to set the switch.

b. Tried pin 22 isolation. Start up correctly on both "7s" and "14s", however, system can't detect the card. Look furthermore in Aida64, the pcie port where the eGPU is installed is missed. When switch back to wifi card, the PCIe port appear again.

2. Dell E5420

This is the one I'm using. It is almost out of box and no need any further configuration. After installed win10 the 3Dmark FSE shows ~8000 for graphics card. 30~45fps for GTA5 all high setting on 1080p.

However, it has annoying instability issue. Game will randomly crash. Sometimes after 1 hour, 2 hours. Sometimes it works perfectly for 3 hours. One thing for sure is that if leave it running for whole night, no matter 3Dmark or GTA5 will crash at sometime. I do see there is suggestion that to run it under pcie 1.1 mode. However, is there any other one since it cause a lot performance loss.

CPU: i7 2760qm

Memory: 8G x 2

Chipset: HM65

No dGPU

Since the same CPU/memory can be used for both laptop, I can try both and see which is the best one. The key concern is the performance and stability. Personally I tend to HP 6470b even though there is no success still now. However it's a newer platform right?

Additionally, I see in another thread mentioned that 2 pcie 1.1 X1 port can be linked to form a x2 port. Can the same apply to HM65/76 on pcie 2.0 X1 port?

Edited by javenlxx

Hello there, ok so i'm having major issues and honestly I have no idea where to go next. 

Dell inspiron 3537

CPU: intel i5-4200u 1.6ghz TB 2.6ghz 4th gen Haswell

16gb Samsung DDR3 PC3l

intel HD 4400 graphics

3 - 750MB hard drives, 2 external USB 

Egpu setup

PE4C 3.0 mPCIe vers.

EVGA GTX 1060 1507Mhz, Boost 1807Mhz 

HP 350W ATX power supply. 

I have removed the keyboard on my laptop and the wi-fi card from my motherboard. now whenever I plug the card into the slot and reboot I get the 8 code error message with black screen(is this the black screen I see so much in all the other guides?) which means display failure.  I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried hot-swapping the eGPU but that still gets me black screen from sleep. I've been looking to mod my bios. I've contacted dell to find out if my mPCIe slot is whitelisted but they were no help. should I just get setup 1.3? I'm not sure if all these problems are the ones described in so many other posts. I don't have a problem paying for the program, if I know it's gonna work. I'm at the end of my money. everything I bought so far is the wi-fi adapter, USB splitter, Bluetooth dongle,PE4C, EVGA GTX1060, was with birthday money. I've googled trying to find out how to locate my mPCIe slot inside windows but nothing comes up. What do I do inside bios once it's unlocked?  Where can I find the guides explaining this stuff? Sorry I'm completely new at this, but I can't find a implementation guide for my laptop anywhere. I know it's not the eGPU setup cuz i plugged it inside a Dell N7110 and it booted right up no problems. It came up as general Microsoft adapter (which i read on this site how to fix by the way), but that means it was recognized. Please someone help.

Specs:

HP DV7-1020us with Intel core 2 duo T9600 2.8ghz CPU, 4gb ram.

PE4C version 3.0, PCIe x16 interface for mPICe eGPU adapter

EVGA GTX 1080

windows 10

Modded F.2d bios

the system has 3 mPCIE slots.  1 for wifi, 1 for an avermedia media card, and spare mPCIe slot. I figured with the spare mpcie a lot I'd have a perfect setup for an eGPU system. But. I matter what I do I can only get the eGPU eGPU to be recognized after I reboot the system from a sleep state.

the laptop won't boot with the eGPU in either a delay or always on state.  I have to turn off the PSU, start laptop, turn in eGPU @ hp bios logo.

1.30 doesn't recognize the eGPU at all.  No matter what I try.  I've booted the eGPU with 1.30 loaded, hot swapped, and removed all mpcie cards before loading 1.30.  I've pulled and reinstalled the eGPU will 1.30 was loaded and still it never recognized the eGPU.

while in Windows I can go into a sleep state, restart and the eGPU is recognized as a Microsoft display adapter, and at this time I can install drivers.  Downside is the drivers force me to restart.  This requires me to shut down, unplug eGPU, restart laptop, and plug eGPU back in.  But upon Windows loading there is a driver conflict between the GTX NVIDIA 1070 drivers and the legacy drivers that drive the eGPU.  Because of this conflict I can't go into a sleep state.  I have to reload eGPU drivers, which forces a fricken reboots and I'm back to square 1.

ive tried all this with all cards removed, with just the wifi card in and got swapping, and with the eGPU the only mpcie card in the system.

anyone have any suggestions?  Is there a bios function I should be editing?  Or a different sequ nice in setup 1.30 to get the eGPU to load at startup?  

Edited by wolfemane

Hello guys
I've received PE4C V3.0 device and have a problem with it. Lets start from my laptop description.

Laptop:
Dell xps l502x
CPU: i7 2820QM
CHIP:HM67
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Video:Nvidia GT 540m
Disk: SSD Samsung Pro 256GB
         HDD Seagate 750GB

Hardware I am using for EGPU:
GPU: ZOTAC Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Bridge: PE4C V3.0
Monitor: AsusVG248QE 24 - inch
Software: Nando DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Problem I am facing: My Nvidia video card gets detected randomly. Some times I can get egpu working it seems no problem but 90 proc I can't get egpu detected at all no matter witch method I am trying. What I noticed despite when it gets to work in Win7 my external monitor colour changes to pixelated pink and green and after that i am getting BSOD (blue screen with memory dump) on my internal display or very rare display driver recovers from error and then I can use my egpu without problems. Sometimes it works about 5 hours without issues on high demanding games. My source of the problem maybe mPCIe (HDMI) cable? Maybe someone had the same issue? Thanks

Some photos:
Couple seconds after booting Win7 with eGPU:
20160901_200022.jpg

After this following BSOD:
20160901_195104.jpg
Edited by Daivaras

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

i have tried a lot of steps but i can't start using my card on my laptop and i need your help.

These are my hardware:

-EXP GDC V8 mPCI-E

-PSU CORSAIR VS450

-GTX 970 4GB ZOTAC

-LAPTOP SAMSUNG SERIE 3 (NP350V5C-S05IT) I7-3610QM, 12GB RAM, OS WINDOWS 7 Service pack 1, IGPU: INTEL HD 4000  DGPU: AMD RADEON 7600M 1GB

I pluged every cable in the righ mode.

When i start the computer with the card inserted i can see just a black screen and nothing happen, i have bought also DIY EGPU setup 1.3, entered in the menu but nothing has changed. If i start the EGPU when the pc is on i can see just a white screen and the computer shout down after few seconds.

I have tried to start the pc, then sleep mode, activate the EGPU, exit to the sleep mode ,the card is working without any black or white screen identified like new hardware but not working yet.

I have disabled the lan card in the BIOS.

Please somebody can help me?

Thank you in advance

I've been trying to set up my eGPU with a new (used) laptop and it won't detect.

I recently had the same card and adapter plugged into an Dell E4310 and it worked flawlessly, even with 2 mPCIe lanes, so I know Setup 1.3 will work with Latitude laptops, it just refuses to detect my GPU right now.

I've moved the WLAN card from slot to slot, so I know all the mPCIe slots function, and the GPU will even power on with all the lights and fans, but it won't show up in Setup's status box.

I don't think this is a problem with the DSDT or TOULD; I haven't run in to any RAM problems or error messages yet.

The only modification I've done to the laptop since I got it was update all the drivers/BIOS from Dell's website and install Setup; and it's running Win10 Pro 64-bit.  I've tried everything I know, and to no avail, but at least all my components seem to not be broken.

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.  I'll try almost anything at this point (though I don't know how to use DOS/cmd prompt or registry editor much at all, so I don't know if I could figure those out for this).  If nothing else, I'll try getting a PE4C v3.0 or EXP GDC and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chrishnaw

Hello guys!

eGPU does not get detected

These are my hardware:

-EXP GDC V8.3E mPCI-E

-PSU DELL 220w

-GTX 960 2GB EVGA or GTX 750TI 2GB ZOTAC

-LAPTOP SAMSUNG SERIE 5 (NP500P4CH) I7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, OS WINDOWS 10, IGPU: INTEL HD 4000

Please somebody can help me?

Thank you in advance

I have bought an EXP GDC Beast V8, coupled with an EVGA SC 1060 and SeaSonic S12ii 520W Bronze.

I've connected the GPU to the monitor and laptop, but it doesn't want to acknowledge my GPU. Not even an 'unknown device' or anything. What do I do?

My laptop is an HP Envy 15t-j000.

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me so I can get my eGPU working. My laptop installed my egpu 780TI via hotswap(I had to boot with wifi card installed, sleep computer, and swap with egpu m-pcie, wake the computer and install drivers). But when it restarts after installing drivers, I have a black screen on both my laptop monitor and external display. I've noticed that if I have it connected while the laptops booting, the wifi touch button stays off and i cannot turn it on. But when i connect the wifi card for startup and boot, the light comes on as normal and when i hot swap the m-pcie connector in during sleep mode, it stays on when I wake the computer. It then shows the 780TI in the device manager but won't display anything on the external display or use the780ti on the laptop display. Side Note: nvidia control panel won't open either. Even after I use DDU and repeat the process. I'm thinking it's a whitelisting problem which is why I'm wondering if Setup 1.30 would help or am  just missing something? My laptop is a Valkryie CZ-17 and I don't have the dGPU installed. I removed it because it burnt out. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hi guys,

I just realised there is a parallel thread going on. You can look here for my questions (page 6 at the end) but I will sum up my situation, hopefully you are able to help.

My setup:

• Dell Vostro 131
  • Intel Core i5 2450M, HD3000 iGPU,
  • 8 Gbyte RAM
  • Windows 7 x64 fresh install fully updated
  • EXP GDC V8 external PCIe and Beast Adapter
  • NVidia Geforce 750ti and AC/DC PSU 75W (no ATX PSU!)
  • external Full-HD Display via DVI-connection

My efforts:

• updated BIOS to current version and searched all options, there is nothing PCIe related; I can only change boot priority and disable stuff like USB-plugs, camera, microphone and so on
  • opened the notebook case to extract wifi-card, plugged the beast adapter to pci-e port (by the way: I acutally have two pci-e slots because I had a 3G-Module installed, when using that port the 750ti did not get recognized at all)
  • launched the notebook -> 750ti got recognized (at wifi's pcie slot) instantly but ran into error 12 (not enough resources); now I go online with network cable
  • did the dsdt-modifying so I could get a Large Memory -> successfully
  • when I launch with eGPU connected I get blue screen at windows logo, when I boot without eGPU I can reach desktop but I see no way to make windows7 recognize the eGPU (going to sleep and hotplugging did not work, nothing happens); hotplugging during live session makes my laptop screen turn light blue (no blue screen)
  • tried to modify the dsdt-table some more like here https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/&do=findComment&comment=93244 but it has no effect for me - I can only boot without eGPU connected - Large Memory still available
  • enabled / disabled TESTSIGNING -> no difference
  • pressing F8 during boot doesn't help, plugging in the eGPU during boot at different times doesn't help (blue screen / black screen
  • enabled hardware delay at EXP GDC board - there is a little switch for 7s/15s delay - made no difference, the fan turned on right from the start

My remaining hopes (as soon as I find time)

• will try to load some dsdt tables from the internet - dell related - maybe I get lucky and one does the trick
  • will try to plug in wifi card again, boot, go to sleep, and exchange it for eGPU (it is very inconvenient because I have to rip the whole notebook apart again)
  • will try to acquire Setup 1.3 and look whats possible (altough I am unsure if it is actually related to my problem)

Guys, do you have any more ideas for me? :) thank you!

On 2.10.2016 at 5:25 PM, doinitbig804 said:

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me so I can get my eGPU working. My laptop installed my egpu 780TI via hotswap(I had to boot with wifi card installed, sleep computer, and swap with egpu m-pcie, wake the computer and install drivers). But when it restarts after installing drivers, I have a black screen on both my laptop monitor and external display. I've noticed that if I have it connected while the laptops booting, the wifi touch button stays off and i cannot turn it on. But when i connect the wifi card for startup and boot, the light comes on as normal and when i hot swap the m-pcie connector in during sleep mode, it stays on when I wake the computer. It then shows the 780TI in the device manager but won't display anything on the external display or use the780ti on the laptop display. Side Note: nvidia control panel won't open either. Even after I use DDU and repeat the process. I'm thinking it's a whitelisting problem which is why I'm wondering if Setup 1.30 would help or am  just missing something? My laptop is a Valkryie CZ-17 and I don't have the dGPU installed. I removed it because it burnt out. Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Seems like we're on the same boat but I am one step behind. Will try that wifi booting -> exchange during sleep mode this weekend. Because right now I am even unable to install Nvidia drivers because either blue screen at boot logo or the card gets no detected (so nvidia driver cant find it and cannot install)

Greetings,

Toshiba Satellite P775-S7148, Part Number: PBSY1U-06S01W
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHZ  (original was i5-2450M)
HM65, Sandy Bridge

RAM 8.00 GB
Windows
  7 Home 
Premium, SP1, 64-Bit
Intel® HD3000 Graphics

No dGPU

eGPU:  EVGA GTX 750 ti,
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Adapter: PE4C V2.1a

I'm attempting eGPU setup, zero progress with getting the computer to detect the card.  I've followed many of the guides on the forum with no joy.   I placed a Bios mod request Bios mods.com, last week but no takers so far.  Figured while I was waiting on the Bios Mod I attempted and managed to pull off the DSDT override.  Posted a "Noob" guide on how I did it Here encase anybody is interested.  I pulled an old GT 7800 out of my old desktop and same results nothing.  The only other thing besides the Bios could be the PE4C, I purchased it off of Ebay used.  It's possible it could be damaged.  However, the lights illuminate, switches work, fan on the card works so it seems to be working, doesn't mean it is.  I'll likely purchase the newer 3.0 version.  PSU seems to be working also.

So today I decided to give this thing another go:
 Hot Swap attempt 1.

1. Started computer, used Setup 1.3 to force open port 2, with eGPU cord installed in mPCIe/wifi port 2.

2. Device manager shows Root Port 2 open but nothing is reported in the tree.

3. I carefully pulled eGPU cord out and installed wifi card.

4. Initially nothing reported under port 2 so I ran scan (window scan for changes) and the Wifi card showed up.

5. Then I pulled power cord, computer now on batttery, Slept the computer and installed eGPU cord.

6. Wake-up computer eGPU not detected, scan didn't find it either.

Interestingly, I discovered if the power cord is removed I can install the egpu cord and it won’t crash the computer. 

Hot swapping inside Setup 1.3
     1.  I started computer went into Setup 1.3 with eGPU cable hooked up, 
Port 2 was showing forced open, and the eGPU not recognized.
I carefully removed the eGPU cable and installed the wifi card.
Pressed F5 and Setup 1.3 immediately recognized the wifi card.
     4.  Hot swapped the wifi card, pulled the power cord out, connected the eGPU cable and the computer shut off.  
Nuts.
     5.  Restarting the computer with the eGPU cable installed, still not recognized.

I played with the settings in Setup 1.3 to remove the whitelisting, doesn't work in my case.  Based on what I've read and witnessed today it does indeed seem that a BIOS Mod is the only solution to this.  

Am I on the right track here?  Anybody ever heard of anything in the DSDT that could fix this?  Seems fruitless to me since it's whitelisted in Setup 1.3.  Never the less, I triangulated Port2 to the ID in the DSDT but that's as far as I got. 

Thanks in advance and have good one.

Hercfixer 

Update:

I opened up a copy of my machine's bios, downloaded from Toshiba and searched for the whitelist, no list.  What I did find was and entry stating that Root Port 2, (Port I'm trying to use) is assigned to the LAN.       

2016-10-10_15-42-28.jpg

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Help: MSI Ge60 OND + Exp GDC V.8 + MSI RX 480 + Corsair VS450

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.