mPCIe/EC eGPU troubleshooting steps

We've had a stack of recurring questions from with problems getting a mPCIe eGPU working. This includes GPU-Z not reporting no clock details, error 10/43 or even not being detected at all. Overall it's more troublesome getting mPCIe working than say expresscard or Thunderbolt.

Here's some common problems and some troubleshooting steps to correct them.

Getting a black bootup screen, resolving error 10/43 or ACPI_BIOS_ERROR win bootup messages

Here the BIOS doesn't know what to do when it sees an eGPU. So the solution is to not let the BIOS see it. Do that by setting the delays on the eGPU adapter (CTD/PTD - EXP GDC or CLKRUN/PERST# on PE4L/PE4C). Boot with eGPU adapter in the wifi slot into Setup 1.30 or Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

I'll add that should error 43 continue AND you have a NVidia dGPU as well as NVidia eGPU then it's likely because of having the mobile NVidia and desktop NVidia drivers loaded simultaneously. Proceed to uninstall ALL your NVidia drivers, use "DDU" to clean NVidia registry entries and do a 'clean' install of the latest NVidia desktop driver.

mPCIe port that hosted the wifi card disappears when connecting an eGPU in it's place

Use the Setup1.30 PCIe Ports->enable to enable the missing port.

eGPU does not get detected

Overcome mPCIe whitelisting by booting with the wifi card and then hotswapping in the eGPU. That way the BIOS will enable the mPCIe port to work.

1. Boot with wifi card into Windows, sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter and ensure eGPU is powered on, resume system. Do a device manager scan in Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

2. Boot with wifi card into Setup 1.30 *carefully* hotplug the eGPU adapter in place of wifi card. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. Is the eGPU detected?

If this enables detection then avoid this tedious hotswapping by seeking a unwhitelisted modified BIOS for your system OR test the Setup 1.30's PCI ports->undo_whitesting feature.

eGPU still not detected - set the PSU to be permanently on

The latest EXP GDC and BPlus eGPU adapters try to manage the PSU to only power on after they detect a signal. This can cause a race condition where the eGPU isn't ready to go when the CLKRUN signal is asserted.

Avoid this by jumpering the PSU so it's permanently on rather than being managed. Depending on the PSU you are using refer to the following doco on how to do that:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

eGPU still not detected - a non-standard mPCIe implementation by your vendor?

PERST# mPCIe pin 22 may need to be isolated due to a non-standard implementation by your notebook vendor: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/10812-pe4x-series-understanding-clkreq-perst-delay.html#post142689

eGPU still not detected - faulty hardware?

If you still don't get detection then test the video card and eGPU adapter in another machine to confirm neither is faulty.

NVidia driver stops responding

EXP GDC, PE4H 2.4 and PE4L 1.5 all use a socketted cable and therefore are not true Gen2 compatible device. This error indicates there was transmissions errors.

The solution is either to get a better Gen2-compliant eGPU adapter such as PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b (both with soldered cable), or downgrade your link from Gen2 to Gen1 using BIOS options or Setup 1.30

Other troubleshooting help resources?

See DIY eGPU Troubleshooting FAQ.

Hello everyone .

I have a laptop : packard bell easynote lv44hc

Here are the feature :

Operating System

" Windows 7 64-bit

Processor and Chipset

" Processor Manufacturer : Intel

" Processor Type: Core i3

" Processor : i3- 2328M

" Processor Speed ​​: 2.20 GHz

" Total Heart Processor : Dual -core 2 Core

" Chipset Manufacturer : Intel

" Chipset Model : HM77 Express

memory

" Memory: 4GB

" Maximum Memory : 8GB

" Number of Total Memory Slots : 2

" Memory Card Reader : Yes

" Memory Card Supported : Memory Stick

" Memory Card Supported : MultiMediaCard MMC

" Memory Card Supported : Memory Stick PRO

" Memory Card Supported : Secure Digital SD

" Memory Card Supported : Memory Card xD

storage

" Hard Drive Capacity : 750 GB

" Hard Drive Interface : Serial ATA

" Hard Drive r / min : 5400

" Optical Drive: DVD Burner

" Optical Media Supported : DVD- RAM ± R ± RW

Display & Graphics

" Screen Size : 43.9 cm 17.3 "

" Screen Type : LCD TFT Active Matrix

" HDCP Supported : Yes

" Graphics Controller Manufacturer : NVIDIA

" Graphics Controller Model : GeForce 710M

»Memory Card Graphic : Up to 2 GB

" Graphics Memory Accessibility : Dedicated

Network and Communication

" Wireless LAN Manufacturer : Atheros

Built-in Devices

»Webcam : Yes

" Microphone: Yes

" Finger Print Reader Digital : No

" Speakers : Yes

I wanted to set up an external graphics card , so I purchased a PE4H ver2.4 + PM3N and a gtx 650 ti graphics card 2 gb

I had to buy a Diy setup 1.30 software, to install the graphics card port pci express . Again my bios had to be put in Legacy for that to accept the playback format hard disk MBR .

but the software does not work in the sense that it does not recognize the PM3N . Then I remove my internal wifi card defaulting because she had to take a lot of bandwidth . But it still does not work . In addition there has shed light on the pe4h .

Thank you cordially for your help Sebastien

Sorry I'm French .

Sebastien, I write this to you now a third time. Please perform this check:

Probably a whitelisting problem with the mPCIe slot. To get it detected boot Setup 1.x with the wifi card installed, then carefully unplug it, power on the eGPU and *really carefully* hotplug the PM3N end into the wifi slot. Then hit F5 to attempt to detect the eGPU. If detected OK then can try to use the PCIe ports->undo-whitelisting functions to bypass needing to boot with the wifi card in the system to get the eGPU detected.

Nando Yes I understood what you wanted me to try. But the problem is that I do not get there has to detect your method. Maybe I took half bad. If you could explain more precisely, or I can take picture of my pc so that you can better help me.

Regards Sebastien

- - - Updated - - -

Nando Yes I understood what you wanted me to try. But the problem is that I do not get there has to detect your method. Maybe I took half bad. If you could explain more precisely, or I can take picture of my pc so that you can better help me.

Regards Sebastien

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm newbie on eGPU project and face some problem now, hope to get it solve asap!

my item:

1. PE4L v2.1b - PM3N

2. GT640

3. Acer Aspire 4736z

4. suitable power supply and more...

I want to make it for internal LCD only!

While I connect PM3N to mPCIe slot(remove my wireless card)and power on my eGPU then turn on my notebook and my notebook always BLACK SCREEN!

I test for hit F8 and power on my eGPU + standby mode my windows 7 64bit and power on my eGPU both also not working/not detect!

How can I solve my problem?

Boss nando please help me:48_002:

Hi all, I'm newbie on eGPU project and face some problem now, hope to get it solve asap!

my item:

1. PE4L v2.1b - PM3N

2. GT640

3. Acer Aspire 4736z

While I connect PM3N to mPCIe slot(remove my wireless card)and power on my eGPU then turn on my notebook and my notebook always BLACK SCREEN!

I test for hit F8 and power on my eGPU + standby mode my windows 7 64bit and power on my eGPU both also not working/not detect!

I'd attempt to get it working external first. Then once you do, disconnect your external displays to get it working on your internal.

my item:

1. PE4L v2.1b - PM3N

2. GT640

3. Acer Aspire 4736z

1. Try setting the PCI Reset Delay switch to 6.9s (SW1=3).

2. Then power on the eGPU and quickly power on the notebook. A RED LED on the PE4L will indicate when the PCI Reset Delay is active. Is will turn off after ~7s.

3. Proceed to boot Win7.

If the card isn't detected then you have a mPCIe whitelisting issue. To deal with it set SW1=1 (no PCI reset delay), install the wifi card, boot Win7, hit F8/F12 to halt the boot process, power on the eGPU, *carefully* swap out the wifi card for the PM3N, continue the boot process. The card should be detected at that point. If there is an error 12 against it obtain Setup 1.x to deal with it.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm running a Lenovo L540 with the following specs:

Windows 8

Intel HD 4600 graphics

i5-4200 CPU

12 GB RAM

I am using the PE4H 3.2 adapter with an expresscard. My power is a 550 watt PSU hooked into the ATX slot of the adapter. The card I'm running in the adapter is a Radeon R9 270 OC. When I power up, the LED on the adapter lights and the fans on the card start spinning. My problem is that it seems like my system isn't detecting the card. I have nothing in device manager other than the Intel HD card. I know that I'm going to need to disable that to get the radeon to work, but until I can see the card in device manager, I don't see what else I can do.

I just ordered Setup 1.x, so I'm hoping that may help. Does anyone see anything I'm missing or have any suggestions for how to get my laptop to recognize the card? I have updated my BIOS and checked all the settings and that didn't give me anything either. Any help that can be offered will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Have Setup 1.x installed now, but when I select it as a boot device, I get the error: Remove disks or media. Press any key to restart

EDIT 2: I have succesfully booted into Setup 1.30, but now my eGPU isn't being detected. Any help or advice is very much appreciated as I am starting to hit a dead-end!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We've had a stack of recurring questions from with problems getting a mPCIe eGPU working. This includes GPU-Z not reporting no clock details, error 10/43 or even not being detected at all. Overall it's more troublesome getting mPCIe working than say expresscard or Thunderbolt.

Here's some common problems and some troubleshooting steps to correct them.

Getting a black bootup screen, resolving error 10/43 or ACPI_BIOS_ERROR win bootup messages

Here the BIOS doesn't know what to do when it sees an eGPU. So the solution is to not let the BIOS see it. Do that by setting the delays on the eGPU adapter (CTD/PTD - EXP GDC or CLKRUN/PERST# on PE4L/PE4C). Boot with eGPU adapter in the wifi slot into Setup 1.30 or Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

I'll add that should error 43 continue AND you have a NVidia dGPU as well as NVidia eGPU then it's likely because of having the mobile NVidia and desktop NVidia drivers loaded simultaneously. Proceed to uninstall ALL your NVidia drivers, use "DDU" to clean NVidia registry entries and do a 'clean' install of the latest NVidia desktop driver.

mPCIe port that hosted the wifi card disappears when connecting an eGPU in it's place

Use the Setup 1.30 PCIe Ports->enable to enable the missing port.

eGPU does not get detected

Overcome mPCIe whitelisting by booting with the wifi card and then hotswapping in the eGPU. That way the BIOS will enable the mPCIe port to work.

1. Boot with wifi card into Windows, sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter and ensure eGPU is powered on, resume system. Do a device manager scan in Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

2. Boot with wifi card into Setup 1.30. *carefully* hotplug the eGPU adapter in place of wifi card. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. Is the eGPU detected?

If this enables detection then avoid this tedious hotswapping by seeking a unwhitelisted modified BIOS for your system.

eGPU still not detected - set the PSU to be permanently on

The latest EXP GDC and BPlus eGPU adapters try to manage the PSU to only power on after they detect a signal. This can cause a race condition where the eGPU isn't ready to go when the CLKRUN signal is asserted.

Avoid this by jumpering the PSU so it's permanently on rather than being managed. Depending on the PSU you are using refer to the following doco on how to do that:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

eGPU still not detected - a non-standard mPCIe implementation by your vendor?

PERST# mPCIe pin 22 may need to be isolated due to a non-standard implementation by your notebook vendor: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/10812-pe4x-series-understanding-clkreq-perst-delay.html#post142689

eGPU still not detected - faulty hardware?

If you still don't get detection then test the video card and eGPU adapter in another machine to confirm neither is faulty.

NVidia driver stops responding

EXP GDC, PE4H 2.4 and PE4L 1.5 all use a socketted cable and therefore are not true Gen2 compatible device. This error indicates there was transmissions errors.

The solution is either to get a better Gen2-compliant eGPU adapter such as PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b (both with soldered cable), or downgrade your link from Gen2 to Gen1 using BIOS options or Setup 1.30.

Other troubleshooting help resources?

See DIY eGPU Troubleshooting FAQ.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hello all guys,

Let me expose my problem.

I've bought a nvidia gtx960 turbo 2gb ddr5 for my HP AIO m100ep...

I'm using a BEAST eGPU with mPCI-e interface but every time i start the PC the graphic card starts spining his fan too fast and the computer dont reconize it also.

It simply dont appear on the system...

I'm using a ATX PSU with 350W.

Can anybody help me? I'm been struggling against this for a long time. :ambivalence:

Pls refer to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html#post149873

Hi, this is my first message and i see a lot of people rlly do a lot of work to help anothers. i want to thank all the people who will help me, i'm not a english speaker so i will try to write properly and explain you my case.

I have:

-Packard Bell EasyNote TK85 (similar to some Acer Aspire).

-i5 480m

-4GB Ram

-dGPU: nVidia Geforce GT 540m

-eGPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti

-500W power supply.

I want to make an eGPU works because my dGPU is kinda broken.

I put all in position, and my PC doesn't recognize the card at all. I tried it on W10, seeing that didn't work on it i installed w7 on my PC t try with it and had the same result.

When i uninstall dGPU drivers and i instal eGPU drivers my PC recognise my 540m... so weird.. And there is a thing that is weird, if i turn on my PC with all plugged in and with power supply of the eGPU powered on, my screen laptop stays black, as well as my external monitor conected to eGPU and it stays some seconds running and it restarts then same happens again and restarts, that restart think has no end until i turn off my eGPU...

Pls refer to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html#post149873

Hi, this is my first message and i see a lot of people rlly do a lot of work to help anothers. i want to thank all the people who will help me, i'm not a english speaker so i will try to write properly and explain you my case.

I have:

-Packard Bell EasyNote TK85 (similar to some Acer Aspire).

-i5 480m

-4GB Ram

-dGPU: nVidia Geforce GT 540m

-eGPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti

-500W power supply.

I want to make an eGPU works because my dGPU is kinda broken.

I put all in position, and my PC doesn't recognize the card at all. I tried it on W10, seeing that didn't work on it i installed w7 on my PC t try with it and had the same result.

When i uninstall dGPU drivers and i instal eGPU drivers my PC recognise my 540m... so weird.. And there is a thing that is weird, if i turn on my PC with all plugged in and with power supply of the eGPU powered on, my screen laptop stays black, as well as my external monitor conected to eGPU and it stays some seconds running and it restarts then same happens again and restarts, that restart think has no end until i turn off my eGPU...

Hi everyone! I'm trying to build my first egpu setup and I have some doubts. Can i ask some questions about the PSU? I'd like to get some help, in order to avoid a massive explosion ahahah.

I'm going to use a Cooler Master 550W atx12v (with my Gigabyte gtx970 and Akitio thunder 2 PCIe box)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16516[/ATTACH]

I saw in this guide that i have to plug two 6pin in the gtx970 and one 6pin in the Akitio using an adapted cable that will allow me to use the standard Akitio power input.

My questions are:

1) considering the fact that my PSU has three 6pin plugs, it's the same if i plug the P4 and P5 in the video card and then i use the P6 for the Akitio, or are they different and so i must know where which one of them must go in?

2) for the first question, i supposed that a 6pin plugs is 12v. It's right? And how can i know the A of these 6pin plugs? I saw that original Akitio psu is a 12V 5A. On the PSU there are written six outputs specs and no one has 5V for 12V.

I'm so confused. Is this PSU ok for the eGPU system that i'm trying to build? Of course I'm not going to turn it on without this information and without being sure that it's all plugged in the right way. I'm sorry for my ignorance and for my bad english. Thanks to everyone who's going to help me! n.n

• 6 months later...

Hey I was wondering if I could use this to help me get my Lenovo U310 to recognize my GTX 750 ti. Thanks!

Computer Components:

Core i3-3217U

BIOS - 65CN99WW

Tried list:

1.) Normal boot, PCIe slot 1 (wifi original slot)

2.) Normal boot, PCIe slot 2 (ssd original slot)

3.) Wifi card hotswap w/ computer in sleep mode. (this caused the computer to shut off when trying to wake from sleep. Computer booted with black screen.)

4.) Worth mentioning that I did this with a non-WL'd BIOS.

Edited by ReverseEffect

I got my Gtx970 recognised under windows 10 after hotplugging it for the wifi card while in sleep. But i get error 12 so i tried DSDT override..... that didnt work, windows 10 gave me bluescreen, AICP BIOS ERROR and windows 7 booted but didnt have Large memore in device manager and the sleep function has since been grayed out. Anyway when i boot into DIY egpu setup it tells me i have an unknown INTEL processor so it tunrs of iport functionality. Without that i cant access the PCIE  Devices menu, and therefore also not the anti whitelisting menu. I dont know how i can get my egpu to detect in setup or how i can get the setup to recognise my cpu correctly and enable iport functionality. If anyone knows soemthing that might work, that would be great. 

I have a chinese laptop with:

i7 4710MQ

16GB ram

250GB Samsung 850 mSata SSD

1TB HDD

Also i dont get the option to disable my dGPU it just says dGPU on demoted,  couldnt really make sense of the help description either.

I'm trying to setup an eGPU on a Thinkpad T440p. 
I have a GDC V8 with GTX470 powered by Dell DA-2, connected via M.2 (A+E key) to the motherboard. 

When the computer boots I get 5 beeps and a blank screen, which seem to indicated a "system board error".

Disconnecting the cable and everything runs as normal. 

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I heard Nando is back so the setup1.3 software is back on the menu; will it help?

Anyone with a Thinkpad - chip in your experience. 

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Both your dgpu and egpu are allocated ok. With the egpu powering off, check you power leads and psu attached to it.

That's the thing. As long as windows doesnt start PSU stays working. As soon as the windows logo comes up on boot after a few seconds, The PSU shuts off. Could it be the mPCIe cable?

2 minutes ago, ByFire&Blood said:

That's the thing. As long as windows doesnt start PSU stays working. As soon as the windows logo comes up on boot after a few seconds, The PSU shuts off. Could it be the mPCIe cable?

That's when the egpu tries to send output to the attached lcd which requires increased poer. If the power drawn by the egpu then is greater than the max of the psu, or the psu is faulty, then the psu will power off.

Pls try another more powerful psu.

29 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

That's when the egpu tries to send output to the attached lcd which requires increased poer. If the power drawn by the egpu then is greater than the max of the psu, or the psu is faulty, then the psu will power off.

Ooh never thought about that. Thanks. BTW should it be able to work without any setting changes like without running Setup 1.3?

Regards

Just a bug i have noticed over the few days I have been on this forum, when ever I click on a notification, I never end up on the correct page, but on page 20. IDK if this is a bug or a deliberate thing, also didn't know where to post the bug so here it is.

Hi , rob here 

After a little help please . 

I am wanting to run an egpu on 

asus n550jv

i74700MQ

gt750m

windows 10 pro 

and wanting to use the m pci-e beast v8.0 to run gtx970 

Plugged everything in and powered on fine . The 970 was  Initially  detected but after installing the nvidia  driver it wont detect the 970  just the 750m .  

Will i need to mod the bios to disable the 750m or will the egpu software 1.30 help ? 

Any help much appreciated  

On 5/30/2016 at 1:08 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Yes the PSU was faulty. I tried the GPU and it works. Now I want to troubleshoot a few things. My eGPU doesn't show display. It works, it shows up correctly and CPUZ even detects it. But when I ran a GPU stress test my Laptop's dGPU started to work and it got to 105'C which lead to thermal shutdown. Why didn't it work? I have set my dGPU to a lower priority via Setup 1.3? Would I need to disable my dGPU?

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Help: MSI Ge60 OND + Exp GDC V.8 + MSI RX 480 + Corsair VS450

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.