RX 480 on rMBP 10,1

ToumaKazusa

I've been trying to add a RX 480 through an Akitio Thunder2 on macOS Sierra 10.12.2, I have the eGPU recognised as r9 xxx, but it isn't doing any work (not listed on luxmark), even when connected to an external monitor through the rx 480's DisplayPort, there is output, but the ui is extremely laggy (likely due to the lack of hardware acceleration due to the fact that AMDRadeon4100.kext is not running), I have edited the plist to include the rx480's id, but it isn't running with a kextstat check. Is there anyway to get the RX 480 to work? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Touma!

Nice to see another owner for the RX480 on the forums. Let me start of by saying that the RX480 is not the friendliest card to get working in a Akitio Thunder2 enclosure. It certainly can be done, as others and myself have proven in the past on these forums.

The problems you will face mainly power problems, as the RX480 is extremely demanding on the PCIe slot power rail (which is already running above specifications in the Akitio Thunder2, when using GPUs).

You problem right now suggests that the RX480 is indeed not running in accelerated mode. Usually an accelerated mode can be noticed by the 'whoosh' sound after logging in to Mac OS. You could try using Goalque's automated eGPU script, which might still work for you. Also make sure you clear your kext caches. Keep in mind though, that under load the GPU will probably crash with heavy modifications (and even then stability is not guaranteed in Mac OS).

I suggest you also try to get the eGPU working under Windows 10. This is a lot easier and the Windows drivers incorporate a different VRM profile to avoid PCIe power issues. For me Windows 10 works great, Mac OS is unstable right now. I'm looking into a solution for this involving BIOS modification or Kext modifications. Good luck!

Yes I disabled csrutil, there is no way around that as you are editing Kext files in the process of making it work (minor changes but still). As of yesterday I manager to get a stable RX480 under Mac OS 10.12.2 beta. AMD updated the Kext drivers in this update, finally fixing the power issues that the RX480 has had in the past.

Sadly I'm not allowed to disclose the process yet, as I'm discussing the changes in the automate-eGPU script with the creator of the script.

• Thumbs Up 2

It appears that I finally got the acceleration working on my MSI Gaming X RX 480 4GB. Wasn't sure what helped exactly as I was messing around and trying every method I could find online....

My current setting: Mac mini 2012, Akitio TB2, MSI RX 480, Dell DA-2

Following are some of the things I did before my last restart, they may not be execute in this particular order since I already run some of them prior to this restart:

• disable SIP
  • update AMDRadeonX4100.kext with RX 480's ID
  • update AMDRadeonX4000.kext with RX 480's ID (in the Baffin section where there's pretty much empty...there's a good chance that this won't help but I just list it here..)
  • update 9500 controller with iHEX so the name displays properly (see this guide here: https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/)
  • fix kext permission with kext utility
  • clear(or rebuild) kext cache (tons of error message came out...didn't bother to read all of them...)
  • run the PlistBuddy codes in this thread posted by Hedge under Kext Mods section: 
  • run Goalque’s AMAZING automated-egpu script in -a mode
  • restart with eGPU plugged in and HDMI plugged in eGPU

And viola! RX 480 is working

Edited by Teddy

@FricoRico hope we can get a official 10.12.2 soon (don't like to use Beta version OS). My is working but it crashes when under load. 

BTW is it possible to use 10.12.2's updated kext file in 10.12.1?

I own a RX 480 and it ran very well on Sierra 10.12.2 public beta apart from extreme overheating. The fan does not speed up under load makes it very very hot and freezing the screen when it got too hot.

It requires some very minor change to the automate-eGPU script but I read that the author did not wish people to disclose the process, I respect his decision and wish to keep the discussion minimum until 10.12.2 gets released.

I don't have any information for TB3 so you'll need to do find out if anyone succeeded.

@Teddy Somehow mentioning me went wrong so I was unaware of your question. No I suspect that the 10.12.2 kexts might not directly be compatible with 10.12.1... Even if they were no-one will share them with you as that is against Apple's terms.

The crashes during load could be because of power issues, which enclosure are you using? Have you done any modifications to the enclosure to allow for a better power draw?

@Leeroy Overheating should not happen! My setup does not overheat and I really notice a difference between load and none load. I have ran multiple benchmarks on Mac OS (both Heaven and Valley multiple times). The max temperature never exceeded 70°C and fan speed ramped up quite quickly. Have you made used your setup in Windows? Do you notice similar issues there? Have you double checked your GPU in a normal PC?

On a side node, I have also used the eGPU during long 5+ hour sessions of Mac OS gaming (World of Warcraft using Metal). I have not noticed excessive heat, crashes nor idle fan speeds.

2 hours ago, FricoRico said:

@Teddy Somehow mentioning me went wrong so I was unaware of your question. No I suspect that the 10.12.2 kexts might not directly be compatible with 10.12.1... Even if they were no-one will share them with you as that is against Apple's terms.

The crashes during load could be because of power issues, which enclosure are you using? Have you done any modifications to the enclosure to allow for a better power draw?

@Leeroy Overheating should not happen! My setup does not overheat and I really notice a difference between load and none load. I have ran multiple benchmarks on Mac OS (both Heaven and Valley multiple times). The max temperature never exceeded 70°C and fan speed ramped up quite quickly. Have you made used your setup in Windows? Do you notice similar issues there? Have you double checked your GPU in a normal PC?

On a side node, I have also used the eGPU during long 5+ hour sessions of Mac OS gaming (World of Warcraft using Metal). I have not noticed excessive heat, crashes nor idle fan speeds.

@FricoRico I haven't done anything particular with the power issue... gpu and the akitio case are powered by a Dell DA-2 with a modified cable. Is a powered riser required to solve the power issue, even with 10.12.2?

@Leeroy GPU Temperature is being monitored in Valley and Heaven benchmarks in the right upper corner. This temperature is accurate and provided by the GPU itself.

@Teddy You should modify the Akitio box so that the PCIe slot provides 75W instead of the default 25W. This is not particularly difficult, but does require some soldering skills. My particular changes are based on:

I slightly modified the changes that might have either a positive or negative affect on the power supplyment. I ended up with:

• One thick cable from the reverse of the J6 (+12V, covers the both pads) to 3 lower and rightmost corner pins (I guess B1, B2 and B3), no Ground cable
  • C2 and C4 capacitors
  • C1 and C3 capacitors removed
  • Akitio’s 4-pin cable completely removed (TB card is powered solely from the x4 slot)
  • 6-pin > self made 4-pin molex to barrel plug
  • No taping tricks

@FricoRico But I saw this post said the Akitio box PCIe slot can deliver 75w with a bigger power supply. 

Just tried soldering...didn't work out...I guess I will just wait till 10.12.2 or get a powered riser...

Edited by Teddy