Horizontal flickering lines after setting up en eGPU

Cathexis

Hello, yesterday I setup my eGPU with GTX 950 and Asus X555LB (i7 5500U, 8GB RAB, Windows 10, 64-bit). Firstly, I encountered a problem that nvidia drivers could not see the native resolution of my monitor (1440x900, 60GHz), so that I had to create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel. After this, I started some games and in all games I played there were horizontal flickering lines. These video shows more or less how they look like - 

I switched back to my dGPU (GeForce 940M) and the problem did not appear, It only appears when I am using eGPU GTX950 and only when I am playing games or running intensive rendering (Furmark). Searched some troubleshooting on the internet, found that it might be screen tearing and have been suggested to use triple buffering and Vsync. I turned them on, and it did not help. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong and how to solve it? I am using DVI to VGA adapter to my monitor and the EXP GDC Beast adapter.

On 11.11.2016 at 9:22 AM, Cathexis said:

DVI to VGA

There's your problem. VGA is prone to interferences which may cause image problems like yours.

Haven't you got any other connection on your display(HDMI,DVI,Displayport)? If you have to use VGA you may get a better cable with thicker isolation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 4:18 PM, Morv said:

There's your problem. VGA is prone to interferences which may cause image problems like yours.

Haven't you got any other connection on your display(HDMI,DVI,Displayport)? If you have to use VGA you may get a better cable with thicker isolation.

Yeah, this connection is prone to external interferences. The problem was solved by isolating the ground elements of the AC plug of the monitor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.