4k Display at 60 Hz

gustebeast

Hey folks,

I've got my eGpu all set up with a GTX 980 with an Aikido Thunder2 using this script:

I have a late 2013 macbook pro running os 10.12.1. Currently my 4k monitor is plugged into my gpu via an HDMI cable, but I have two issues:

1. My internal screen still shows up as a display even when the notebook is closed

2. I can't get my monitor to do 4k @ 60hz. Normally I can get it to do 4k @ 50hz using a custom resolution and the built in gpu, but now, with the eGPU if I try either 50hz or 60hz the monitor just goes black.

Does anyone have a fix for these issues? Ideally I could use the GPU just for running the 60hz display and still use the Iris for other stuff to avoid crashes.

Thank you!

Edited by gustebeast

I switched to a display port cable and it worked at 60hz right away. As for the internal display, I found disabling it using switchresx works pretty well. Now I just need to figure out why my speakers are playing a weird crackling noise when my eGPU is in use.