Alienware Screensaver

Ptolemaio

Hey I edited an old Alienware screen-saver "demo" file i found called "Eyes of fire" that was on the Allpowerful.com site.

It's this really awesome Alienware screen-saver where the Alienware head has flaming eyes that start up and burn. the problem was, that after 17 seconds, it would do a fake glitch out, then show the Alienware text, like a commercial. Then it would loop.

Well i wanted the screen-saver without the BS commercial in it, so i ripped apart the .SCR file, and pulled out a .SWF flash file that had the video on it... edited it, looped it, and recombined it back into an .SCR.

So here you are, a pretty awesome Alienware screen-saver for anyone who is interested.

Here's a link to a youtube video that shows what the old screen-saver looked like:

Here's the download link to my new fixed screen-saver file:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

• Thumbs Up 3

Now I'll go head and suggest something else. Going back to Win95 era :48_002: I remember having some thing called "Active desktop" where you would have pretty much any media playing in the background instead of static wallpaper. But, I also remember being it quite a resource hog and it was basically just for showing off. But... today we have much more powerful computers and I am wondering whether its possible to put this animation as a windows desktop background?

• 2 months later...
Now I'll go head and suggest something else. Going back to Win95 era :48_002: I remember having some thing called "Active desktop" where you would have pretty much any media playing in the background instead of static wallpaper. But, I also remember being it quite a resource hog and it was basically just for showing off. But... today we have much more powerful computers and I am wondering whether its possible to put this animation as a windows desktop background?

Simple enough there is a tweak to get vista's dreamscapes to work and play .wmv files as a active video desktop even right click and allow pause and play... uses no audio just video... if you can get copy of the flash file guarantee you can convert the video to .wmv there are a lot ove video converters out there i can suggest one if needed. So yes it is possible and i had succesfully did it with one of the older dreamscapes alienware made... The one showing some towers with alienbackround and goes to a portal etc. I used to like the dreamscape on vista that looked like lava... Anyway yes we can do it Unreal and if OP can post the flash video too we can help set that up Unreal. :)

VLC player can put any video to desktop, not sure about resource usage but its a real easy to do.

lol i use VLC for all media... Totally slipped my mind nice suggestion SSG :)

looking for this dreamscapes unlock for Windows 7?

just enable and go to personalize and desktop pictures and you can assign a movie :)

Windows 7 dream Scene Activator

W7DSA.zip

Form React.zip i made mistake the above one works but dont go to personalize and desktop backround.... instead go to the wmv or mpeg file directly in Explorer and right click it select "set as desktop"

here is sample to get started then we can convert the flash file in the above screensaver to make a dreamscene (wmv or mpeg file)

post-34-14494992714101_thumb.png

for those curious ive pegged a 1-4% increase in cpu usage on Explorer.exe for this add on to be playing as it goes away when its paused... also i noticed and you can in my pic that instead of 2D gpu clocks using this when playing it it uses intermediate 3d clocks on gpu one only (if in dual card setup)

post-34-1449499271309_thumb.png

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Simple enough there is a tweak to get vista's dreamscapes to work and play .wmv files as a active video desktop even right click and allow pause and play... uses no audio just video... if you can get copy of the flash file guarantee you can convert the video to .wmv there are a lot ove video converters out there i can suggest one if needed. So yes it is possible and i had succesfully did it with one of the older dreamscapes alienware made... The one showing some towers with alienbackround and goes to a portal etc. I used to like the dreamscape on vista that looked like lava... Anyway yes we can do it Unreal and if OP can post the flash video too we can help set that up Unreal. :)

Yea, all it uses it a .SWF file that it plays. I embedded into the .SWF file a loop after the burn gets fired up.

here is the edited flash video:

Alien head - FIRE.swf

here is the original:

Video 3.swf

• Thumbs Up 1