Hi, i'm trying to run AKITIO thunder 2 with AMD R9 280x as gpu on a macbook pro retina 13" (macOS Sierra 10.10.12)

Everything is ok, from cables to psu: i'm using 2 pcie risers in order to get the gpu screwed in a desktop case and macbook sees correctly Akitio thunderbolt interface.

From now on, what should i do? 

Besides i've tried same config with win10 (external hd) but no signal it could work: what i am doing wrong?

I'm working on AMD7000.kext, AMDX4000kext and AMDsupport.kext, editing them and adding in every block with <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> the string <key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/> before </dict>

saving and resetting mac

But osx doesn't load these kexts and when i check them they seem just untouched, no modify saved

Any help?

Could i "simply" flash the gpu bios in order to make it a 7970?
I followed your guide (where i replied) but you didn't talk about system crashes: was it all ok for you?

I managed to play a game in win10 by removing the 2 raisers: maybe it was just a case, but it was stable for 15 mins, then blue screen again

In AMD panel it shows pci express 2,0 x4, but it should be pci express 3,0 x16, right?

c827fc9e-498d-435f-a259-28f0b09039bf_zpstyxibvpy.JPG

Edited by thecliffhanger

NA211TB doesn’t have these issues. The only difference between R9 280X and HD 7970 is the chipset. Tahiti XTL core has better power efficiency but it is prone to signal loss between power states, and Thunder2 can’t cope with it. OS X/macOS will crash eventually as well. I don’t know if this can be fixed by a new vBIOS.

Your TB2 card narrows the link to PCIe 2.0 x4.

Yes, you have to replace your GPU with the Thunder2. Maxwell 9xx series cards are reliable choice. I can’t recommend any, please browse through the implementation section:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/forum/113-implementation-guides-apple/

EDIT: Just noticed that your MBP is equipped with the Intel Iris 6100, it’s an early 2015 13” model which is problematic in the early boot stage with Maxwell series cards.

Edited by goalque

I'm fairly new to making egpus but I've been encountering issues with my setup. I currently have a MacBook pro 15'' mid 2015 intel pro iris on Mac Sierra 10.12 , with a akitio thunder 2 and a Evga 960 SSC 4gb card. I am not using any riser cables, the epgu unit is being powered with a Dell DA-2,  PCIE 8 Pin to Dual 8 (6+2) one end going to the gpu and the other powering the Akitio with a  PCI-E to 12v 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel. I ran your script (which is amazing thank you!) it detects that the card is a GTX 960 but after I download the drivers and restart my computer, I plug in my monitors to the EGPU, I do not receive any picture to any of my hdmi or dvi monitors. Can you please help me? I've been needing the extra rendering power for school work. I would highly appreciate it thank you.

6 hours ago, goalque said: