y510p External Graphics Card Adapters Compatibility with Regards to Max PCI Express Lanes Available

hayden55

Okay so here recently I've came across the new adapter that is being made to adapt the ultrabay slot in the y510p into an external 3.0 x8 slot and I have some questions of how the given system configuration effects the performance of the system as a whole.
From what i've seen for cpu they have a certain number of pci express lanes available as listed on intel's website:
--i7-4900mq (4700mq as well):

/Expansion Options:
//PCI Express Revision: 3.0
//PCI Express Configurations: 1x16 2x8 2x4
//Max # of PCI Express Lanes: 16
///Thoughts: My dad's i7-5820k has 28 lanes available while ours only has 16 express lanes available. I'm probably looking at this wrong, but it looks to me like you can only run so many configuration options on this laptop successfully without running an unsupported pci-e configuration. If a wifi card uses 4 express lanes (a 1.0 x4 slot), and each graphics card uses 8 express lanes when not in sli (3.0x 8 for the on-board 755m, and a 3.0 x8 slot for the ultra bay egpu adapter), this may be the reason why nvidia cards wont work with the ultra bay 3.0 x8 adapter and the 755m still installed. With the oem setup of the on-board 755m and the ultra bay 755m in sli (effectively a 3.0 x8 slot), and while running the wifi card ( a 1.0 x4 slot) you would be utilizing 12 express lanes for this configuration.  If you remove the wifi card, I would think you could get the laptop to read a second 3.0 x8 slot and be able to swap between the two cards say for on the go when you only have the on-board 755m and for at home gaming when you have both cards installed but want to swap to the more powerful card for game processing.  I would think this has to be the case as to why the exp-gdc adapters (and other adapters of the like) work and allow you to swap between the cards, but you cannot boot the laptop with two 3.0 x8 cards installed unless you uninstall the on board graphics card effectively getting rid of 8 lanes of traffic.

My setup: I'm already running the exp-gdc adapter that i have ran out the back under the middle of the battery tray to be able to plug an unplug and still be able to use my laptop as a mobile laptop, and i have a usb wifi card for connectivity. I just purchased the ultra bay external graphics card adapter from ebay (Austria) so whenever the hell that thing comes in I can actually test it out. I also sold my ultra bay card a long time ago on ebay and i just have the hard drive adapter in the tray right now.

Thoughts? Feel free to correct me or add info.

desktop.PNG

From what i've noticed so far its very similar to a third or fourth gen quad core i7 desktop cpu. Scores about a 9100 on cpubenchmark. Single thread performance it scored a 2300 with or without overclocking for both of these values (overclocking netted me a solid nothing). I sold my original i5 for 120 dollars and purchased a used 4900mq pulled from an alienware laptop for 172$ bucks. Snagged the deal of a century. I say more than likely it is not worth it over a 4700mq, but it is nice to have. I noticed it produced infinitely more heat than my i5 though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The wifi card only uses x1 pcie lane, I think you are confusing it with the M.2 pcie slot which is x4. Also if pci-e lanes were the problem I think Amd cards wouldn't work either. It depends on the TOLUD, if you can host additional pci-e devices, but since the y510p's tolud is 2.3GB you can host a VGA on the mpci-e plug and play. With Ultrabay adapter you are just plugging in another GPU x8 device, you arent using more or less lanes than before.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2016 at 6:15 AM, Heterodyne said:

The wifi card only uses x1 pcie lane, I think you are confusing it with the M.2 pcie slot which is x4. Also if pci-e lanes were the problem I think Amd cards wouldn't work either. It depends on the TOLUD, if you can host additional pci-e devices, but since the y510p's tolud is 2.3GB you can host a VGA on the mpci-e plug and play. With Ultrabay adapter you are just plugging in another GPU x8 device, you arent using more or less lanes than before.

Do you think it would be possible to use the SSD's M.2 pcie slot for a GPU instead of the wifi's x1 pcie lane? I want to use a 3.0 GPU (Rx 470), but I fear the x1 pcie will be too much of a bottleneck.
I could buy the Ultrabay adapter but I'd like to buy something that could be used on other laptops also....

3 hours ago, Ratou11 said:

Do you think it would be possible to use the SSD's M.2 pcie slot for a GPU instead of the wifi's x1 pcie lane? I want to use a 3.0 GPU (Rx 470), but I fear the x1 pcie will be too much of a bottleneck.
I could buy the Ultrabay adapter but I'd like to buy something that could be used on other laptops also....

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=529434284683

I think you mean this, it's M.2 M key=>X4(20G/S), and it needs M.2 nvme support.

It‘s alreadly existed.

• 1 year later...

hi can you tell me what you changed in bios.

because i tried almost everything but exp gdc not workig with my y510p.

it's detect a card but showing error 43.

please help me solve this issue.

nvidia also showing only one card 

My setup:

Lenovo y510p

dgpu:-gtx755m

Exp Gdc 8.0

Egpu:Gtx 1080 asus

There are 2 types of pcie lanes, one is from cpu and thats 16 used for gpus(x8 x8) , second one is from chipset and its used for wifi and m.2 and probobly something els.

There is total 8 of chipset express lanes and they ar 2.0version.

So to ansuer OP no there is no shortage of lanes and it dosent conflict with nvidia gpus, each gpu has always x8 from cpu.

Heres a source for y510p chipset https://ark.intel.com/products/75531/Intel-HM86-Chipset  (look in Expansion Options part)

Crap sorry i did not notice the op posted this in 2016... why do you ressurect such old topics ?

Edited by Celestus