EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
chriz74

i7-3630qm throttles to 1200 Mhz at less then 70°C if Turbo Boost is enabled

I have an Asus laptop with hm76 Ivy Bridge chipset with Intel i7-3630qm, the CPU is 2.4Ghz and can Boost up to 3.4Ghz.

What happens is the CPU throttles to x12 (1.2Ghz) when Turbo Boost is enabled, this at less than 70°C, the TCC activation temperature should be 95°C!

The bios has the latest microcode patch v. 1C from Intel and before had the v. 15.

I made a test with cinebench and monitored the behavior of the cpu with Intel Power Gadget, ThrottleStop and SpeedFan, I made a video.

As you can see what happens is if I disable Turbo Boost with ThrottleStop the multiplier goes straight to x24 and the temperature goes up yet no PROCHOT signal is sent.

If I disable BD BROCHOT the temperature goes up but never arrives to 95° .. it arrives to 80° / 81° C.

So what is going on with this CPU??

I am now uploading the video to youtube and it will appear here

And here another test: GeekBench with prochot disabled:

and here enabled:

Edited by chriz74

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dimaginexus
      It's locked & hidden by default, but I've got an i7 8700k & I'd like to use the intel graphic on my hackintosh mojave.
      Is there any way to activate or mod this?
      Thanks!
    • By SnipeKing17
      The GPU works, The PSU works, The system works. [individually they all do work]

The system works perfectly fine without the WLAN card.

When i put the system to sleep and hotswap the mPCIe riser and WLAN press something on the keyboard.. Restarts.
      Will shutdown in roughly 27 seconds for those 27 seconds it works just fine like how it normally would on external monitor.

When i shut it down and plug the riser and switch it on, same story. 27 seconds.

I don't even see a error. I get to login screen directly. I used DDU already.

I timed it. no matter what i do if i use the eGPU, External monitor it restarts instead of pause-play. I have 27 seconds.

Need help!
    • By michaelgqld
      Hi everyone. I have had a bit of search around but I have not found anything yet pertaining to my issue. I have an Alienware 17 R1 (Late 2013 model). It originally came with an i7 4900, a GTX780m, 120hz 3D panel with intel graphics disabled. I have just got a Dell GTX980m 8GB (BIOS 84.04.2F.00.79 - Device ID 10DE 13D7-1028 05AE) and put it in and it works fine getting into windows and running 2D. However, when I run any decent 3D the graphics constantly hits power limiter and downclocks to around 800mhz. This is confirmed to be power limit in gpuz perfcap reason and this happens regardless of temperature. Running a Unigine benchmark has actually showed the card's performance to be just lower than the 780m I replaced. Using HWiNFO64 I have found that the GPU is being limited to 80 watts. It briefly goes up to over 100 watts but drops to 80.

Power Supply is 240 watt

This laptop always runs off mains power and the battery only lasts a few seconds regardless of apparent charge.

I should also mention that I have tried,
      Setting nvidia control panel power management mode to prefer maximum performance.
      Disabling Battery Boost in nvidia geforce experience
      Setting windows power options to high performance
      I have even installed a fresh windows 10 on a different hard drive and have observed the same result.

Has anyone else done this upgrade and had no issues, are there any known fixes, is this card faulty or just not going to work correctly.

Thanks
    • By philfy
      Evening, I own a Clevo P751DM2-G with a 7700k and for a while now i've been having issues with Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility. Everytime I run the program it states that there is a newer version on the Microsoft store and then continues to load. However once loaded it doesn't show the package temp, max core feq, core count or and of the other overclocking features. I've checked the Microsoft store and the Intel website and the version I have is the latest and the utility isn't even on the Microsoft store to download.

Any advice would be great.
    • By smernt
      It's locked & hidden by default, but I've got an i7 8700k & I'd like to utilise the intel 'quick sync'/hardware acceleration in Adobe encoding in order to speed up rendering. You don't need to have a display connected to it for it to work (i believe), but it's really fustrating how it is locked out, as it means I'm missing out on quite a useful time saving feature.

Is there any way to activate or mod this?

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.