T430s + EXP GDC v8 + External monitor - Chrome laggy/crashing laptop

gg1

Hi guys

I've been happily using my mPCIe EXP GDC v8 + GTX 970 with my Thinkpad T430s using the internal display. Performance was fine.

I recently got an external monitor, and, as long as I leave the HDMI cable from the GTX 970 unplugged at boot (and plug it in after the initial Thinkpad boot logo), it boots up and works (mostly) fine.

My problem

When I started using Chrome on the external monitor, I noticed it was very laggy. Like moving through treacle - scrolling is laggy, highlighting text is laggy, opening new tabs is slower than normal, videos play oddly (low FPS?). When I tried to full-screen Youtube videos, the whole laptop will crash.

I've "fixed" this by turning off Hardware Acceleration in Chrome, but now Youtube etc. videos have tearing. If I have the external monitor connected, but I view Chrome (with hardware acceleration) on the laptop's internal display, it seems to run normally and doesn't crash.

Does anyone know why? Is there anything I can tweak with nVidia (latest 970m drivers) / Windows / Chrome to get things running normally?

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/10/2016 at 3:03 PM, gg1 said:

Hi guys

I've been happily using my mPCIe EXP GDC v8 + GTX 970 with my Thinkpad T430s using the internal display. Performance was fine.

I recently got an external monitor, and, as long as I leave the HDMI cable from the GTX 970 unplugged at boot (and plug it in after the initial Thinkpad boot logo), it boots up and works (mostly) fine.

My problem

When I started using Chrome on the external monitor, I noticed it was very laggy. Like moving through treacle - scrolling is laggy, highlighting text is laggy, opening new tabs is slower than normal, videos play oddly (low FPS?). When I tried to full-screen Youtube videos, the whole laptop will crash.

I've "fixed" this by turning off Hardware Acceleration in Chrome, but now Youtube etc. videos have tearing. If I have the external monitor connected, but I view Chrome (with hardware acceleration) on the laptop's internal display, it seems to run normally and doesn't crash.

Does anyone know why? Is there anything I can tweak with nVidia (latest 970m drivers) / Windows / Chrome to get things running normally?

My temporary solution is to boot Chrome with '--disable-d3d11'

Runs fine. If I don't do that and run Chrome normally, fullscreening a Youtube video will crash the laptop entirely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.