Mac mini 2012 + Rx480 | Need some help please always freeze

boeonoz

Hello,

Just finished my eGPU setup but there is a lot of problem prevent it operating normally. Before I get Rx480 I try with ATI HD 5850 everything is easy, no modification at all windows 10 auto find driver and run stable. That's is why I go for Rx480.... here nightmare begin

My Current system is

Mac mini 2012 -> Connect Monitor B

Highpoint RocketStor 6361A

XFX Rx480 GTR Black Edition -> Connect Monitor A

Let's start with mac side.

I setup clean install macOS sierra with Goalque's Auto eGPU, everything fine. Reboot.

During boot screen my screen flick (Monitor A eGPU) then eGPU fan whirl up and system freeze.

Next try, I unplug Monitor A that connect with eGPU. macOS boot normally show Intel HD 4000 and R9 XXX then plug monitor A. Everything works! But Unigine benchmark seem to crash every time but LuxMark work fine.

Problem is next restart it freeze again, I have to un-plug HDMI and re-plug every time it boot.

This is not optimal, is there a solution?

Windows 10 side is a Horror

When I use HD 5850 there is nothing to do at all, works perfectly except HD4000.

Now with Rx480

First - I install Crimson 16.10 .... Error 43 = Reinstall driver / Windows not fix this (FAIL)

Second - Reinstall Windows BOOTCAMP as UEFI = Black screen / HD4000 not working at all  (both screen unusable/no fix possible) (FAIL)

Third - I change to Crimson 10.7.1 non WHQL .... Intel HD 4000 Works / Rx480 Error 12

With Error 12, I use DSDT Override - Kaboom!

HD4000 Stop working but Rx480 Manage to boot with AMD Xconnect, BUT after few second monitor down system freeze and reboot a short while.

Is anyone know what I went wrong?  

Thank you in advance.

ps, I haven't try Setup 1.30 since I don't have Paypal account

Edited by boeonoz

Just now, Mike85b said:

Hello beonoz

Just a thought . Maybe there is power issue.

Under Windows try to undervolt the Rx480 and see if the freezes continues.

I can't get this to run at all. If it possible to enter then Error 43,12 else system crash 1-4 sec after boot (but manage to get 1080p + AMD Xconnect show up)

Im glad i read that you manage to get it work (in FricoRicos Post 

) .

What psu did you use?.Your RX480 it is factory overclocked and it draw way more power than 150 watts.

Did you try to under-volt it and see if it solve stability issues?

18 minutes ago, Mike85b said:

Im glad i read that you manage to get it work (in FricoRicos Post 

) .

What psu did you use?.Your RX480 it is factory overclocked and it draw way more power than 150 watts.

Did you try to under-volt it and see if it solve stability issues?

I manage to get it work on Windows 10 now thanks to Tech Inferno Fan and FricoRico  for advice :)

It because of PCI Express Slot power draw. I use Highpoint RocketStor 6361A that have 2 molex, first one main x16 board and second one x4 Thunderbolt board.

First setup I use 1 Rail to connect both ( I saw this setup before with GeForce ) it give me system shutdown after login Windows (if driver works)

Then after some advice about power, I put one rail per board. This give me stability to boot. Anyway with x16 riser (no molex) system crash half way thru benchmark, with direct x16 connect everything work fine.

My Rx480 is XFX GTR RX480 Black Edition a bit heavy overclock with 1338 MHz GPU Clock. Only Crimson 16.7.1 work for me, other one give me troubles.

XFX.gif

Edited by boeonoz