Help me get my head around it all... (2015 MBP w/ M9 370x)

gullshark

Hi guys, apologies for a post that you've probably read a thousand times - but I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks now and I'm still no clearer as to if this is even feasable or stable for me!

I've got a 2015 MBP with the M9 370X and a 2012 MBP with the 650M that I want to use an eGPU on for gaming in Windows *only*. I've got a GTX 970 in a PC and have been investigating the eGPU route as using Steam streaming drives me up the wall. My requirements are the following

• Game in Windows 10, on Bootcamp only
  • Game using the laptop screen (no external monitor)
  • It to be stable and less faff than Moonlight / Steam Streaming.

I currently use Steam game streaming cause my PC is in the loft being a media server (no space + small baby means I lost my office for a nursery!) but playing games sees to be a hit and miss affair - 5/10 it'll work properly and most of the time with reduced performance or video corruption that kinda ruins the experience - It's alright but it's not perfect.

Is the above possible? Which MBP is best to use? They are both i7 with 16GB RAM. All I want to do is boot into windows, plug the EGPU in and play Battlefront without having to do too much faff lol.

Thanks in advance.

Hey gullshark,

partially, I point you to my other comment. The thing I'm not sure about in your case is compatibility of Windows 10, Optimus technology and eGPU (unfortunately, I have no experience with Optimus myself). Either try to search the forum or wait until someone else answers in that regard :).

Also, you should expect that some maintenance comes with the eGPU solution. Sometimes, a problem simply may occur for you to solve.

Edited by ti_padawan

• 2 weeks later...

I second this post.  I have also been lurking around for some time and have read through a ton of posts.  I have a 2015 MBP with the M9 370X and I am trying to figure out which setup is best.  To clarify the term "best," I want stable and a simple software solution to get the eGPU to work in Windows bootcamp and OS X.  Would it be better to go with the NVIDIA 1060/1070 mini, once the drivers are released for OS X or the Radeon RX series of GPUs given the dGPU is AMD?