Need Opinions on Possible Upgrade to M17x R3

mmskate13

Hey everyone, mmskate here. I need to ask you guys what you think Alienware will do about my situation. Please read the story below and weigh in with comments, I really need the advice.

I am contemplating calling and arguing with dell, because this might be my 3rd replacement m14x. Story thus far.

1st Computer: I ordered the m14x right before i went on vacation to the shore. We made specific orders to delay the shipping until we returned. Alienware did not listen, even though the rep promised me he wrote it down, AND we double checked after we placed the order. We come back from vacation, and my $13xx computer is sitting outside under a small overhang. duh f-? So I start opening the box and realize a corner of the box is quite damp. I'm extremely pissed at this point. So then I use the computer for a few days, (while benchmarking :P) then I call alienware for a replacement because i fear internal components would be damaged and not live as long as they should have. They agree, and send out the next computer

2nd Computer: This one arrived pretty punctually, not many complaints there. They upgraded me from intel 6205 wifi to intel 6250 wifi for free since the 6205 was discontinued on the website. I open up the computer, and there are 3-5 dead pixel areas (white) either consisting of one, or as many as 5 dead pixels in a cluster. One of the white areas was very noticeable. I am outraged at this. I call them, and tell them that i am pissed off (not in those words) and they apologize and agree to send me a new one.

3rd Computer (Current): This one has been working fine, and I've had it for a few months. However, I haven't been taking advantage of the webcam until recently. I tried calling my sister who is at college, and she said my webcam's microphone sucked. I was surprised, so i called her on the phone while video chatting. I thought skype was just acting up, but then i checked all possible ways to change settings in control panel, on the status bar, and in skype itself. Nothing worked. Updated drivers and retried process. Still didn't work. Google'd for similar problems, and whaddaya know, it is a repeat of the m11x hinge issues, but for microphones. Everyone had the same conditions, where they found the microphone just not working. They all either called for a technician, (who replaced the ENTIRE screen because the microphone is embedded) who usually ended up doing more damage, OR they called alienware and ordered a replacement for the build-quality being sub-par and the microphone being broken on first-use.

So, now i want to try to figure out what to do. First question, would be calling dell or calling for a technician. I'm leaning toward dell itself because i'm worried that I won't be home when the techy takes apart the computer, to see what he screws up. Also, I'm a dell preferred account holder and a long time buyer (in the family).

The next question, is if you guys think that Dell would allow me to step up from m14x to m17x. I know either way that if I can get a replacement, I will argue until I get some sort of upgrades. Given the circumstances above, do you think they would give me an m17x, and if so, what stats do you think? My current m14x specs are in my description, although they are for an old replacement, the specs are the same.

Lastly, even if i did get the option to get the m17x, i'm not sure that I'd want it. I love how the m14x can get up to 6 hours on battery life, and yet still max out almost anything i give it. But I am worried about how long this will last. Whether it lasts 1 year, or my prediction of 2 years, an m17x will last much longer if higher spec'd. This is where the question above comes into play. Depending on how well of a deal I get, i may or may not be getting the m17x. Lastly, even if I got a not-so-amazing GPU, i would still be able to switch it out myself (or with a tech-guy's help) with another GPU later on.

So, dearest T|I family *yes i said family*, please help me out :)

EDIT: Making sure I'm clear.. this will be my 4th computer due to issues.

Edited by mmskate13

• Founder

I'd say go for the M17x-R3 if they give you that option. It can also get 6 hours of battery life since it has optimus support. Its an all around better notebook IMO vs M14x, built better too. Good luck with the exchange and if you need some advice, feel free to PM me.

Dell has to follow a lemon law I think so it may be possible. I say keep the m14x though ;)

What exactly is a lemon law?

and [MENTION=5]Brian K.[/MENTION] Thanks, I didn't know that about the m17x. I thought it was less since the graphics require more energy even when optimus is in use. You guys have any guess as to what GPU/CPU/Screen they would include if they did offer that?

Plus.. idkk.. it is still very large..I would be caring this laptop to and from school on a nearly daily basis.. I just wish the gt555m's gpu wasn't soldered on.. then it'd be a lot easier decision...

• Founder

Its a bit bigger but the weight isnt much more. The M17x-R3 weighs like 7 lbs which isn't much at all and it has options for upgrading the CPU/GPU. Performance also destroys the M14x.

ehh...now i'm starting to lean towards m14x but trying to get an upgraded CPU...hmm...

Starting to remember that I probably won't have enough money to get a nice upgraded GPU anyways, and have a 6870m.. now that is a good gpu.. but the odds of me getting the m17x aren't very likely...

I'll keep everyone updated. I have to have chat with a tech guy to "verify my problem".. in other words.. he'll go into device manager from his computer and see that "eveything is working properly" and then proceed to attempt to understand what i am saying for an hour.. -sigh-