Unknown mpcie-type port on Alienware M17x R3 - identify?

phikappa34

Hi all,

while (so far unsuccessfully -- error 43 all the way!) trying to set up my EXP GDC 8.4d egpu I encountered this weird "big" mpcie port on my alienware's mobo - no idea what it is.

Does anyone know?

I circled it in the attached image - it actually worked when I put the mpcie connector of the egpu in, so it seems to be an additional mpcie port, but it's bigger - if you compare the normal mpcie port further down in the image, it has an additional segment! Could it be the port where the expresscard would be attached? The port is not used on the Alienware M17x R3, which ditched the expresscard slot - the R2 has it.

Not getting my hopes up for the egpu part, but I'm curious know. Google knows nothing of a "bigger" mpcie port version.

Anyone?

mobo_edit.jpg

So you know exactly how an expresscard slot interface on the motherboard looks like for all possible notebook brands? If you had thought about it, you'd understand why your RTFM is absolutely beside the point.

Please, if you don't understand the question and/or can't be helpful, scroll past :)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.