Hey tech inferno,

I started my eGPU/docking station project a little while ago, using a cooler master elite 120 white as the enclosure, an akitio board, a gtx 970, and a 1tb samsung ssd (for external windows 10). Everything is powered by a 650 watt evga power supply, and the akitio is connected with a soldiered barrel plug to a chopped molex cable. The first time I tested it with a 750ti (before buying a 970) everything just worked. I pugged the thunderbolt in while windows was booted, and installed the latest drivers. The screen flickered, and that was it. Done. Everything worked. Optimus worked flawlessly, external monitor worked flawlessly, frame rates were amazing (for a macbook) and my computer itself stayed cool. I immediately returned my friend's 750ti and bought a 970. Once I got around to installing it I was at college, but it was the same as before. Once I got the computer to recognize the card (in device manager), I installed the drivers, the screen flickered, and everything worked, just faster. I had a blast playing some games that I had been missing while working on the project. For several days I was able to either connect the egpu by plugging it in while the computer was off, turning on the power supply, waiting 15 seconds, and then booting, holding alt, and booting onto my external ssd; or just booting into windows and then hotplugging my egpu. It always worked, and it was better than I ever expected. Then, one day, I came back after class, and nothing worked. No hotplugging, no successful boots, and no accelerated video. Once in a while I could get it to boot, but when it did that it was only because it didnt recognize the card at all, and just used iris pro. Can someone help me get my setup working again? My laptop is the 2015 macbook pro 15" (for which there are few guides). I'm hoping someone else has overcome this problem. I have tried reinstalling drivers, but it no longer freezes the screen and works, it instead requires me to restart, and when I do, it breaks. Major karma to anyone who helps me out. I can put pictures (or video of boot failures) if someone wants me to.

thanks!

-Hunter

On 10/4/2016 at 1:30 AM, darwin86 said:

Hi fella,

I recently published a thread discussing the 2015 13" Retina - may be worth reading through:

Many thanks

David

Thanks! I'll take a look at a DSDT override or varyl's setup process. Will report back what works and what does not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 1:30 AM, darwin86 said:

Hi fella,

I recently published a thread discussing the 2015 13" Retina - may be worth reading through:

Many thanks

David

It looks like I shouldn't need either the DSDT override or the REFIND boot process, as I have iris graphics. However my booting with windows 10 still remains at zero successful boots. I reinstalled windows 10 on external, it worked once, then never booted again, nor did hot-plugging work. Since you were able to get a stable windows 8.1 installation working, I tried a windows 8.1 installation on my external ssd. Unfortunately, that never even worked once. It recognized the card enough to install drivers, but that was it. What exactly did you do to get a stable windows 8.1 installation, and what is your boot process? 

thanks so much,

-Hunter