M14x IC Diamond Repaste and 3dmark11 Score

Here is my 3dmark 11 score following the IC Diamond Repaste and cleaning.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor,Alienware M14xR1 score: P1909 3DMarks

1909 is outstanding for bios a01 (stock) with clocks at 800/1080 and CPU at default settings (completely reset to bios after fully disassembling the m14x.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice work as always StevenX

I'm also curious about this as well. Also, what brand was your last paste?

i thought stock...? but maybe i'm mistaken

Steven your cpu score was a bit above my M17x R2's 920xm set to stock actually all the system was... that's awesome.

http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=formresults_table&fid=9

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-5.html#post2393 (my R2 i had at stock settings 920xm,2x5870m's,Samsung SSD,1333mhz ram)

Have you used Widezu's method ever to set a slightly higher tdp limit on non-xm cpu's? It involves unlocked bios and intel XTU... not sure Intel XTU might be enough though...

if your temps are worse in any way at all you may need to go back in and adjust the screws for cpu or gpu a little... pressure is hard to judge and little change can be better or for worse....

Edited by mw86

Im still recording temps. I can tell you that with any fresh repaste its going to look much better until it sets in a bit.

My last repaste was with the highest quality shin etsu sold. It was about $11 a tube a fry's. So I cleaned it all off, and unloaded the IC Diamond on it.

Before at 99-100 percent GPU with CPU being utilized heavily as well (74-75c)

Post repaste with Diamond (71c) with high cpu utilization.

Again I dont consider this the final figure. Ill continue to monitor and check again a week and again in 2 weeks.

I love repasting because I clean every part I can inside the notebook and the rest of the machine.

Best wishes,

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor,Alienware M14xR1 score: P1933 3DMarks

805/1080 stock a01 bios (outstanding for stock)

1933 3Dmark11 score

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is my score at the clocks I normally game at 752/1002

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2292950

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is stock

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2293009

Edited by Stevenxowens792

Kris - I think we already have a guide and pics somewhere on here. The main thing is to be prepared ahead of time before you even begin to attempt it.

1. Another notebook with the alienware assembly guide (or print them)

2. High quality alcohol for cleaning (rubbing alcohol works, just give a little extra time for drying)

3. Q-tips (lots of them).

4. Cardboard to put your notebook on while dis-assembly.

5. Scotch tape to attach your little screws as you remove them.

6. Small IT (quality) Phillips screw driver.

7. Small credit card or equivalent for prying (without scratching).

8. Paper towels (soft).

9. Anti-static bracelet.

10. TIME (I don't rush). I take my time and it takes almost 1hour45 to finish. Others are much faster but I want to do it right and not break anything.

Gaming test (1 hour)

Was playing DC Online last night while watching storm chasers. Overclocking the GPU to 752/1002 (game settings) and leaving the cpu on Turbo enabled my previous max temps would be around 96c. Last night temps peaked at 90c. So a nice difference. Fresh paste jobs are nice. I would recommend doing it about once every 3-6 months. (just understand the risks).

• Thumbs Up 1

Gaming test (1 hour)

Was playing DC Online last night while watching storm chasers. Overclocking the GPU to 752/1002 (game settings) and leaving the cpu on Turbo enabled my previous max temps would be around 96c. Last night temps peaked at 90c. So a nice difference. Fresh paste jobs are nice. I would recommend doing it about once every 3-6 months. (just understand the risks).

wonderful results Steven congrats glad its running cooler than 99C. 90c is fine i like to have my peak near there to so i can take full advantage available thermal headroom. +1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, repasting the M14X is a must, whether you use the IC Diamond or Arctic Silver (as I did).

The gain in temps it's quite important, in my case I passed from 85-89 on CPU with turbo and 75 on GPU to 78-82 CPU with turbo and 69-71 on GPU.

Same values with the GPU clocked at 740/900.

As I took apart my M14X three times already, the only thing I recommend the most is TAKE CARE ABOUT THE WIFI LED PLUG!!! On the motherboard side, this little thing is very sensitive: to me happened that the rightmost pin angled (because in pulling off the connector it tents to slide to the left) and - obviously - the caps led and the wifi led didn't work anymore.

As I thought that it was the led piece not working any more, it took me about two weeks to realize that was the pin of the mobo connector out of place, so I managed to gently fix it with a little needle (an hell of a work).

To avoid breaking your nerves (and almost kill your wives and parents), mind this :D