Quackingplatypus

Please Help with akitio and graphics card fitment issues in Cooler Master mini itx case

Hello everyone!

I am currently working on an egpu/docking station project for my 2015 macbook pro, and I am having some issues mounting everything into the case I've chosen. So far, I have gotten it to work with my windows 10 installation (on an external samsung evo ssd inside the mini-itx case) with my gtx 970, but now I am trying to actually mount the akitio thunder2 board and the graphics card inside a mini itx enclosure. The power supply, hard drives, and usb hub are already mounted inside of the case with plenty of room left. The graphics card has to mount in the slot that it would use if there was a mini itx motherboard in the case, because it won't fit anywhere else.

Here are my problems:

If you look at the first attached image, this is the graphics card mounted where it would go normally. It is currently only being held in by the two screws holding the IO side of the card onto the case. As you can see in image 2, the pcie connector is underneath the card and very close to the bottom of the case. I bought a pcie riser, but having it being under the card and bent to the side put it under too much stress, and the cable tore. It also pushed the graphics card up so that it was just barely able to mount in place. What I decided I needed was a right-angle for the pcie connection, but every one I found online, and I mean EVERY ONE, went the wrong way (left instead of right) , which put the connecter against the wall of the case, making it worse. Can someone help me find a right angle adapter that bends the correct way, or find another solution? I accidentally bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q92R7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it was not the pcie connector on my graphics card. It was a little different. 

Another problem is that the akitio thunder2 board has issues with facing the right way. If you look in picture 3, you can see the board in its enclosure. In order for the pcie connector to be oriented the same as the graphics card, the board has to be mounted so that the black plastic pcie connector is closest to the graphics card, and unfortunately, facing away. Also, the thunderbolt ports and power port end up smushed against the wall of the case, or close to it? Again, how can I fix this? 

I was so excited to get this project working and am now having a headache trying to make it all fit together! This community has been absolutely excellent in helping me get my egpu working, and I cannot thank those that have taken the time to make guides enough. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas how to get this mess together.

-Hunter

1474924060_tmp_image1.jpg

1474924100_tmp_image2.jpg

1474924195_tmp_image3.jpg

Edited by Quackingplatypus

You will need a riser angled to the right. Sth. like the DeLock 41914 and also a flexible riser.

Take a look at my build (last picture):

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

You will need a riser angled to the right. Sth. like the DeLock 41914 and also a flexible riser.

Take a look at my build (last picture):

Thank you, that DeLock 41914 is exactly what I am looking for! Unfortunately, I do not see a place to actually purchase it on the delock website. Do you know where I can buy it or have a link to the one that you have for your setup?

Edit: I live in the U.S, but if I have to order it from Europe, then oh well.

Edited by Quackingplatypus

I know, that's why I couldn't find any :( I found one on amazon.co.uk that I can import, but it won't be here until early October. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By FirebirdTA01
      Hi everyone, I have an unusual request. I have an i7-3940xm in my M17xr4 and it's difficult to keep cool. I have already done the m14x fan mod and I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal compound... it's just not enough. The CPU is constantly being throttled (my bios settings in a11 unlocked are set to throttle it 85 C) when under load, and it will sometimes see temperatures in the mid to high 90s. The maximum operating temperature is rated at 105C, and I have a thermal shutdown set in bios for 100C, which it hasn't yet reached (but it gets scary close).  Even when throttled, it's still an upgrade and runs better then the stock 3630qm, but I don't wan't it to throttle all of the time. I know I could underclock it, but what's the point of having an upgraded CPU if you're just going to downclock it to similar specs as the original (baring cache, of course). At idle, by the way, it jumps around mid 50s to high 60s.

Anyway, to keep it cool, I want to try using a peltier cooler. They're thermoelectric ceramic devices of which one side gets hot and the other gets cold when an electric current goes through them, for those who didn't already know. I figure I can sandwich it between my cpu and the heatsink and try to help keep the cpu's temps a little more reasonable. I have one of a workable size which can withstand temps of up to 135C, and I've done the math with it's specs so that it hopefully knocks 25ish degrees off while at full load and not overheat the peltier doing so. This leads me to my question/request; I need to know if anyone would know a place on the motherboard which supplies voltage when the laptop is running, but not when it's off, whether or not the charger/battery is connected? I have found a few good sources on the MB which can withstand the drain, but they're always hot, even when the laptop is off. I have a multimeter and have been probing, but I don't want to disassemble half the laptop and attempt running it in pieces to verify a good source. If no one knows off hand or has any idea, does anyone know of any schematics or files which exist which contain voltage information of various contacts on the m17x r4 motherboard?

I know this is a strange request and most will not be able to assist, but before taking it all the way apart to probe around I thought I would at least ask. I'll make a write-up on how it's done and how well it works if it's successful, as well as a controller circuit if necessary using a teensy 2.0 or something.
    • By zepvalue
      Hello guys,
      Thanks for this incredible forum, I hope I will learn a lot from the gurus ! 

I am trying to make my eGpu MSI GT X970 work on my laptop   with K1100M integrated GPU. 

This are my specs:
      CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ (quad-core, 6MB cache, up to 3.7GHz with Turbo Boost) PSU : ??? Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M / Intel HD Graphics 4600 RAM: 32 GB Storage: 1TB

I got a V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock  with the express card version ( I am not really hw savy) and I am looking for a good psu to power my MSI GTX 970 4G  
      Could you kindly suggest a good PSU that i could use to power this GPU ? I am also willing to do as many experiments needed

Thanks for reading my post
      -zepvalue

• By egovanno
      Hello everyone.

I put on a eGpu setup after quite a bit struggle 2 years ago and I used play games just fine. After a while I sold my graphics card gtx 970.
      Now since 2 days I am trying to put the eGpu setup back again this time with a Gtx 770.
      I couldn't understand the problem. I can shut my dGpu off with diy 1.30 setup. ( usb booted)
      And my laptop sees  gtx 770 along with my igpu Intel HD graphics 4000.
      After driver installation when I try to play a game laptop is tring to use iGpu instead of Egpu. (tried to delete and install driver few times)
      With MSI afterburner I can see  eGpu is  %0 all the time.
      Can it be power problem cause graphic cards fans ( Msi gtx 770 twinfrost ) are working all the time they dont stop.
      Or what else can it be. 
      Thx.

• By garrido02
      There's a Microsoft Project 2013 file that I've been working on for a year, most of which was written on Asus laptop on Windows 8.1. However, after the Windows 10 update, I suddenly can't open it anymore. It gives the following message: 'The file could not be accessed.' 
      Any thoughts why?
      ASUS ZenBook UX430UA-DH74 Ultra-Slim Laptop 14

• By High_Voltage
      In case you own a Lenovo Y410p or Y510p laptop, you might be interested in upgrading its performance by installing an external graphics card. Ultrabay eGPU adapter designed by @gerald was proven to be a convenient plug-and-play option to do exactly that. However, for a long time only an AMD-branded GPUs could be used due to limitations in the Lenovo's stock BIOS. The purpose of the modified firmware presented here is to expand the range of available GPUs by enabling Nvidia support on Gerald's Ultrabay eGPU adapter.

Huge thanks to:
      @MWichni - For efficiently assisting me during the development of this mod. By flashing dozens of BIOS builds over the course of several weeks and thoroughly describing the effects observed (or the lack thereof), he enabled me to fully understand necessary parts in BIOS structure and come up with a final solution. @svl7 - Whose unlocked BIOS / Whitelist mod has served as a basis for this modification. His discovery of a security hole in V2.07 BIOS has provided us with a convenient BIOS flashing method that does not require a physical programmer. The Unlocked BIOS and WLAN whitelist mods originally designed by him are also implemented in this BIOS mod. @gerald - For designing the aforementioned adapter. Without it, all this work would make very little sense.  
      Key features:
      Resolves the "40-second reboot" issue normally encountered while using Nvidia graphics cards with Ultrabay eGPU adapter, thus allowing all Nvidia cards to be used. Based on the latest V3.08 BIOS. Includes Svl7's WLAN whitelist removal mod - for the convenience of aftermarket WLAN card users. Includes Svl7's BIOS debug menu mod - for the ease of experimentation with newly available features, e.g. attempting to use Nvidia Optimus to pass eGPU video back to laptop's display.  
      NB! Svl7's Debug Menu is not a toy! It contains a lot of options that are either not supported or partially supported by the hardware platform and/or can disturb its normal operation or prevent the PC from booting up at all. Any of the entries not originally present in the stock BIOS should be modified at your own risk!

DISCLAIMER:
      ANY MODIFICATIONS YOU ARE APPLYING TO YOUR HARDWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK! AUTHOR OF THIS MOD DOES NOT HOLD ANY LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE RELATED TO USING THIS SOFTWARE.

Screenshots:

Installation instructions:

If things don't go right:

Error 43:
      If you intend using the GTX10XX-series Nvidia card as the eGPU (which you probably do), you are very likely to encounter the infamous Error 43 in Windows Device Manager. This is a widely known issue in the eGPU community and is not related to this particular mod in any way. Following this guide thoroughly will in most cases resolve the Error 43 issue.

Download:
      Get your copy here!

P.S.:
      Version of this mod for Lenovo Y400/Y500 models is coming soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.