please help hp 15g012dx and 950gtx

WRMNGR

Hello out there. Heres some details on my hopefully soon to be working system.

A8 6410 apu (weak i kno)

4 gig ram

Win 8.1

Evga 950gtx

EXP GDC Beast egpu thingy plugged into network card slot

Alright so I spent alll day yesterday trying to get this to work. Finally I caved and bought the setup 1x but am now worried that I cant even use it. Upon running the program, I am advised to change disk to mbr and boot to legacy. My boot already appears to be legacy but im worried that if I change disk to mbr then i wont be able to reinstall windows. I have no disc. Thats my only immediate concern. I'll try to outline what I have tried so far.

1. Plugged in egpu with card and booted.

2. Card recognized (not specifically tho)

3. Disabled onboard and installed latest nvidia driverz.

4. Reboot. 950gtx recognized. Buuut new onboard graphics display replaced the last one I disabled. (The 1st onboard was R5 graphics then Microsoft basic display adapter replaced it).

5. Code 12 on 950gtx

I know I have missed many details but those are the basics.

Any help would be soooo appreciated.  Im so anxious to do some oblivion vr!!

Edited by WRMNGR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah, I haven't worked on it in weeks either.  I figure if 80 some people look at my problem and have nothing to say that my situation must be pretty hopeless.  I'm just starting to poke back at the project.  Hopefully I will have a revelation soon.

53 minutes ago, WRMNGR said:

Nah, I haven't worked on it in weeks either.  I figure if 80 some people look at my problem and have nothing to say that my situation must be pretty hopeless.  I'm just starting to poke back at the project.  Hopefully I will have a revelation soon.

What version of Windows? If you have your product key, then you can download an ISO and burn USB installation media to do a clean install with your drive configured as MBR.

Thanks for the response.  It's win 8.1 (not sure if thats specific enough).  I have tried something like what you suggest in the past and couldn't get it to work and it kinda drove me crazy so I would like to avoid that.  I have just bought a windows 8.1 recovery disc for HP's.  Hoping that will do it.  Also I read that Windows would automatically pull the key when reinstalling windows.  Assuming that is true and assuming that I can convert to MBR with a windows reinstall then I should be good.  Guessing it won't be that easy though. 

Don't disturb your current Windows installation until you have your product key. If Windows setup does not extract the information from the BIOS certificate for some reason you'll be up the creek without a paddle. There are a number of free utilities you can use to get that information. Print it or save an electronic copy (or both) somewhere other than your computer.

If you use Diskpart/clean/convert mbr the HP recovery media will most likely work fine unless they did something silly like requiring it to be GPT.