US$300 AKiTiO Node TB3 eGFX box (32Gbps-TB3)

rene_canlas

14 hours ago, DanKnight said:

Apple hasn't changed anything on their end and we're not allowed to change anything on our end either... so... no. No good news yet. Still no support for MacOS even with the enabler. :'(

Thank you @ld0891 for the benchmarks. Yeah we know about that little design flaw with the pin connector. I already pointed it out to the team, so I'm hoping that get's fixed in the second wave of production.

Reason I haven't provided any benchmarks yet is because the the models that are currently being sold in China/Taiwan are the first wave of production. The second wave of production has a slightly different PSU. Different PSU may mean different voltage outputs. Every little factor counts, so I want to wait before releasing any benchmarks. :'(

In another forums there are reports of Node working with new Macs on 10.2.2.

On 12/7/2016 at 5:56 AM, ikir said:

In another forums there are reports of Node working with new Macs on 10.2.2.

The link you messaged me refers to the Thunder3 PCIe Box, which currently would work as an with the TB3 Enabler (kext hack) [DISCLAIMER: AKiTiO does not condone this]. The same method does not work with our Node because our Node is using a TI-83 chipset while the Thunder3 PCIe Box is using the TI-82 chipset.

Edited by DanKnight

@DanKnight  You meant Node has a TPS65982 chipset and will not be compatible, but PCIe Box has a TPS65983 chipset and hackable.  

Does this mean Thunderbolt3 PCIe box will be MacBook Pro compatible in future once PCIe Box is certified?   Or does PCIe Box need a hardware upgrade to be MacBook Pro compatible in future?

On 12/7/2016 at 11:49 PM, chocomonsters said:

@DanKnight  You meant Node has a TPS65982 chipset and will not be compatible, but PCIe Box has a TPS65983 chipset and hackable.  

Does this mean Thunderbolt3 PCIe box will be MacBook Pro compatible in future once PCIe Box is certified?   Or does PCIe Box need a hardware upgrade to be MacBook Pro compatible in future?

No, the Node is currently on an 83 chipset, which does not need to be hacked to be Mac compatible. However, Apple is still blocking eGPUs with their own method. Devices with an 82 chip are hackable, like the Razer Core.

I don't know what the future will entail, but currently for all devices that work on Mac through TB3 Enabler because it has an 82 chip, will have to be changed to 83 chip.

Update from my side, I have now the eGPU set up, NUC Canyon and Akitio3 with Gigabyte itx 1060, the card fits well iniside, but its taller than the case, I will need to manage that by either cutting out the case or getting a custom case

as soon as I download the benchmark will let you know the results. No issues installing or running it, except for what ever reason there are 2 monitors detected now while I have only one, my set up is from NUC to Akitio via TB3 and from GPU to Monitor via HDMI cable

Update2 

3 729 IN Time Spy (V1.0)

Edited by Imagios

Well guys I have a severe issue,  after powering down my NUC,  I can't get it running anymore. Black screen not even if I plug the HDMI cable directly it just rebooting without any screen. 

Asking now on Intel support site, but I gues it's another of eGPU issues.  Will keep you updated as at this moment I  can't use the pc anymore 

Update 15.12. needed to unplug the battery to reset BIOS no other option was possible, all working again

Edited by Imagios
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is May 2017 really the release date? (Taken from the verified reseller MAG).

I might just buy your current PCIe box and build that into a larger case that takes a small PSU as well then. 

I am personally going to use this with a MacBook Air Early 2015 that boots into Windows. 

On 05/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, menpasav said:
I received this answer from Akitio (I was asking about availability of the Node in France or Singapore).
They do not trust compatibility with Dell XPS 13 which is strange as this notebook is confirmed working with Razer Core (after driver update) and Acer Graphics Dock !

Sent: Monday, December 5, 2016 6:11 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ALL-0XX9S1QEIB] Akitio Node

----------Please reply above this line and remove unnecessary text----------

Hello xxxxx.

You have a new message from .
Re: Akitio Node
Message: Hi xxxxxxxxx, The Node is compatible only with the systems listed at https://www.akitio.com/information-center/node-gpu-compatibility. The Dell XPS 13 does not support external GPUs, so the Node will not work with that laptop. Regards, Stefan

When you reply to this message, please send it using the same e-mail address as before. You can also view your ticket and reply online here:
XXXXXXXXX

As the Node is nowhere available I finally went to the much more modest Acer Graphics Dock that work flawlessly with my son's XPS 13 9350.

The fun part is : Akitio say the Node will not work with the XPS 13 because its Thunderbolt implementation does not support eGPU.

https://www.akitio.com/information-center/node-gpu-compatibility

Well if I believe the Thunderbolt Software in my son's XPS 13 there is NO eGPU support BUT the Acer Graphics Dock DOES work :)

In fact the XPS 13 battery is not supposed to be charged thru the TB3 socket but it works also if I plug the Acer Graphics Dock without the Dell power adapter.

I did not push my luck to play games without the Dell power adaptor though.

Edited by menpasav

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, chocomonsters said:

What did this new Akitio Node firmware update?  Anyone tried it with MacOS?  Under Windows? 

Not sure what this means.  

Added: Support for Thunderbolt 3 hosts that do not support external GPUs.  

https://www.akitio.com/firmware/node-firmware

Yes! It seems to work now!! 

https://***********/forums/mac-setup/akitio-node-now-works-in-macos-with-late-2016-macbook-pro/paged/2/

But I don't know how and where you can purchase the unit.... :o(

Edited by JefNiro
link

• 3 weeks later...

Those are great news. Chinese and Taiwanese branches of Akitio listed here https://www.akitio.com/where-to-buy/akitio-sites seem to have stock in taobao/jd/local stores. Thinking about popping on a short trip to see Taiwan now, lol. Some stores seem to have limited international delivery options, and Taobao also has a forwarding service outside China. Though all of that is definately too much hassle if you are in a country that would get easy access to Akitio stock through amazon/b&h/etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎7‎日 at 7:22 AM, DanKnight said:

Apple hasn't changed anything on their end and we're not allowed to change anything on our end either... so... no. No good news yet. Still no support for MacOS even with the enabler. :'(

Thank you @ld0891 for the benchmarks. Yeah we know about that little design flaw with the pin connector. I already pointed it out to the team, so I'm hoping that get's fixed in the second wave of production.

Reason I haven't provided any benchmarks yet is because the the models that are currently being sold in China/Taiwan are the first wave of production. The second wave of production has a slightly different PSU. Different PSU may mean different voltage outputs. Every little factor counts, so I want to wait before releasing any benchmarks. :'(

Hi! May I know when the second wave of production will be sold in China markets? Besides, how would I know if an Akitio Node is the 1st wave or 2nd wave before I get it?