Error 43 with NVidia 372.90 and newer drivers -> Use 372.70

Lucas114846

Hello, 
I managed to link GTX1060 via GDC adapter (into original wi-fi slot, it should be mPCIe 1.1). The latop is Clevo W150.

It is working on the 372.70 driver, but the driver crashes and recovers like once per hour under load. That is extra annoying since most of games and even some other programs then run in background and can't be reached again, or crash as well into some unexpected error. Now I have a clean install of win10 and win7, both have this same problem.

So I now have just two ideas what can be causing it: either some of the VRAM chips are unstable, but detection programs I tried were clean. Or maybe the card pushes data faster than mPCIe 1.1 can handle. Unfortunately, the laptop BIOS has pretty much no other settings than selecting a primary boot device, so that's not the way to find out. 

Or maybe it's something else and I hope you guys can help me. Best regards, Def.

I'm facing error 43 with a thunder 2 and an Intel Nuc DC3217BY (which has tb1)
No problems with a 13 MBP mid 2014 and the same egpu setup.

Contacted intel, they said it's a controller incompatibility.. but Yukikaze had a same config perfectly functional..

Please help :)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

On 20/05/2017 at 10:16 AM, Deffington said:

Hello, 
I managed to link GTX1060 via GDC adapter (into original wi-fi slot, it should be mPCIe 1.1). The latop is Clevo W150.

It is working on the 372.70 driver, but the driver crashes and recovers like once per hour under load. That is extra annoying since most of games and even some other programs then run in background and can't be reached again, or crash as well into some unexpected error. Now I have a clean install of win10 and win7, both have this same problem.

So I now have just two ideas what can be causing it: either some of the VRAM chips are unstable, but detection programs I tried were clean. Or maybe the card pushes data faster than mPCIe 1.1 can handle. Unfortunately, the laptop BIOS has pretty much no other settings than selecting a primary boot device, so that's not the way to find out. 

Or maybe it's something else and I hope you guys can help me. Best regards, Def.

Have same issue but on gtx980 , tell me have u extended in any way hdmi data cable ? as well what PSU u have ?

On 5/30/2017 at 10:12 AM, misiozol said:

Have same issue but on gtx980 , tell me have u extended in any way hdmi data cable ? as well what PSU u have ?

No, I didn't do anything with the cable. PSU is Corsair SF450, new. If it was the cable, I would have to bump into it for something to happen, I think. But it happens even if I just listen to music from bed.

10 hours ago, Deffington said:

No, I didn't do anything with the cable. PSU is Corsair SF450, new. If it was the cable, I would have to bump into it for something to happen, I think. But it happens even if I just listen to music from bed.

Do u have any way of checking voltages ? multimeter or similar ? mine drops to 11.4V on 12V line . Perhaps PSU does not hold voltage .

• 1 month later...

Quote: "There is a very tricky workaround to avoid error 43 on GTX10xx videocards (!will not work with 1050 and 1060 3GB cards!), which is quiet popular in our russian egpu community. I didn’t try it, but i have read a lot of successful stories about it. So do it on your own risk!

Here is the instruction:

1. Download from nVidia archive 368.81 and 378.78 drivers.

2. Uninstall all current nVidia drivers using DDU, and reboot (or it will be rebooted automatically).

3. Install 368.81 and DO NOT REBOOT your system.

4. Open your registry editor, proceed to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete nvidia_rebootneeded. (thanks Cacada for this additional step)

5. Start installing 378.78 (not clean install!).

6. Reboot your system after install procedure will be done and there will be no error 43, and videocard will work perfectly with 378.78 driver."

Just found this on egpu io forum, and successfully installed 384.94 for my 1080. Have been using 372.70 before.

Edited by yangzj81999
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hello there, this is my first time posting in this forum. I want to say that I have been very annoyed with the performance of my old laptop. My ASUS Laptop is quite weak which is I3 3rd gen and NVIDIA GT 635M. I have bought NVIDIA GTX 1050 and the complete requirements such as EXP GDC v8 and Corsair CX 450M. I followed the tutorial in YouTube. I have successfully managed this far.

So, I opened Device Manager and the new card shows “Microsoft basic display adapter” so I install the newest driver and it now shows NVIDIA GTX 1050. However, there’s a code 43. How do I fix this?

I have few questions to ask since I am new to this EGPU DIY.

1. When installing a new card to a laptop, should I install driver that is intended for notebook or Desktop? As NVIDIA provide 2 options.

2. There was a case when I turn on my laptop, the card fan and PSU starts but seconds later, it is off again. What was the cause of it?

3. I have heard that the newest driver often cause code 43 to an EGPU. If that’s the case, what is the best driver software suited for this card?

4. How do I set primary GTX 1050 as main NVIDIA card as I have two NVIDIA Card?

5. Do I have to install two drivers or only one installation is needed? Since I have two cards one is GT 635 in Laptop, the other is GTX 1050 external one. (Not Counting INTEL HD GRaphics).

Thank you very much. I hope people in this forum can help me.

Edited: My Asus Model is Asus K46CM which is old. Also I am having BIOS Locked. No option for Hotplugging or whatever it is.

If I may ask, for those who have GTX 1050 (Non TI) drivers that work that doesn't show code 43, may I ask for that driver modded? I have been having not enough sleep due to this issue. I don't want what I bought wasted cause I invent so much for this. Thank you guys.

Edited by Wisely
Adding Question and Additional Info

14 hours ago, Wisely said:

1. When installing a new card to a laptop, should I install driver that is intended for notebook or Desktop? As NVIDIA provide 2 options.

3. I have heard that the newest driver often cause code 43 to an EGPU. If that’s the case, what is the best driver software suited for this card?

4. How do I set primary GTX 1050 as main NVIDIA card as I have two NVIDIA Card?

I cannot answer all of your questions but I will answer some. But first let's start by saying welcome to the forums!!! I myself joined here to get an EGPU running:)

1) you should be installing the desktop version.

3) now this is a bit more complicated. Since you have a 1050 the driver that for sure works doesn't have the 1050 (Or ti for that matter) added to it. The best thing to do is get a modded driver as you said in your post unless you wanted to get a 1060 or greater instead which probably isn't much of an option. This driver will not guarantee that it will work though. It will take a lot of trial and error.

4) You could try to set the display that your egpu is running as the main and disable the laptops dgpu. This might render your laptop screen useless though unless you are running some form of optimus which might allow you to run the egpu with your internal screen as well.

If I remember the answers to your other questions I will be sure to let you know more! I know this might have brought up some other questions but non the less hopefully some of your questions were answered!

1 hour ago, Lucas114846 said:

I cannot answer all of your questions but I will answer some. But first let's start by saying welcome to the forums!!! I myself joined here to get an EGPU running:)

1) you should be installing the desktop version.

3) now this is a bit more complicated. Since you have a 1050 the driver that for sure works doesn't have the 1050 (Or ti for that matter) added to it. The best thing to do is get a modded driver as you said in your post unless you wanted to get a 1060 or greater instead which probably isn't much of an option. This driver will not guarantee that it will work though. It will take a lot of trial and error.

4) You could try to set the display that your egpu is running as the main and disable the laptops dgpu. This might render your laptop screen useless though unless you are running some form of optimus which might allow you to run the egpu with your internal screen as well.

If I remember the answers to your other questions I will be sure to let you know more! I know this might have brought up some other questions but non the less hopefully some of your questions were answered!

Sir Lucas, I want to say thank you for answering my question. :) So far, I have been trying to meddle with the drivers. If I remember correctly, driver 372.70 is the best for no code 43. However, modding is a MUST since it doesn't support GTX 1050. Furthermore, I managed to bypass system checking nvidia installer by modding the driver. But, when I install the driver, the end the installation said that "NVIDIA Installer has failed." Ugh, I have been so excited and then it gave me this error.

Is this issue because I mod it wrong? I was sure I followed the tutorial in this link. 

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

Also, May i request a modded driver 372.70 for GTX 1050? I would be very happy if there is one available. 

Now, In my case, I have been trying to do workaround Igor's solution. But I cant find registry nvidia_rebootneeded in HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE. How do I solve this?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2017 at 11:16 AM, Deffington said:

Hello, 

Same problem here, any solutions ? it's very annoying :dispirited:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2017 at 3:48 PM, Youscer said:

Same problem here, any solutions ? it's very annoying :dispirited:

I have solve the problem. It's an electrical issue. I've noticed that when the black screen appear, my fridge turns on. I have then turned off my fridge and it work without a single black screen. If you have a device that randomly needs a huge electrical power that may affect your egpu and crash it, try to disable it for a few hour to see if it was the cause. Good luck :)

Hello everyone!

I had problem with error 43 with external gpu (gtx 1050). I am using EXP GDC with mini pcie to plug gpu into laptop. 

So, my problem was, that all nvidia drivers gave me error 43. Than I installed driver version 372.70 over latest driver and error 43 disappeared. Gtx 1050 was working properly. Nvidia control panel detected it and i pluged in external monitor via HDMI on eGPU. There was no signal with monitor. When i ran a game, i noticed, that is it running on hd 4000 and not on my eGPU (I set control panel to use high performance nvidia gpu).

I think, that problem is in driver, because version 372.70 is not compatibile with gtx 1050. 

So, what can I do? Should I buy new gpu (gtx 750ti) or mod nvidia drivers? Would changing bios settings help me? I think, these are the only sollutions for my problem.

I will be realy happy, if someone helps me to solve this problem.

Do not quite follow , u connected hdmi to eGPU and run game on external monitor bu game was running on hd4000 ? that's just not possible if u connect HDMI to eGPU it needs to be screen switched for it to display externally .

Hello! Thank you for your answer, but in my case that happens. I also do not know, how is this possible. When I press WIN +P and select second dosplay only, nothing happens. There is a text on external display, telling me, that there is no signal with PC. Also my PC can not find any other display connected, only laptops built in display.

Edited by ErAndrej

22 hours ago, Youscer said:

I have solve the problem. It's an electrical issue. I've noticed that when the black screen appear, my fridge turns on. I have then turned off my fridge and it work without a single black screen. If you have a device that randomly needs a huge electrical power that may affect your egpu and crash it, try to disable it for a few hour to see if it was the cause. Good luck :)

To resolve, use "surge protected sockets" for egpu power supply (and your laptop). You can get them built into an extension lead or ups, also standalone.

8 hours ago, misiozol said:

any error code? or just egpu is not detected in devices manager ?

There is no error code. Device manager says, that device is working properly. Egpu is detected. I will post an image of device manager as soon as I can.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by ErAndrej

Hello! Now I tried to enable gt720m. External screen now works, but it is black. There is only mouse pointer shown on it. If I press WIN + P again, my PC freezes.

Really do not know, what is the problem there. Maybe I should try with another GPU?

Edited by ErAndrej

Ok, but what does this program actually do?

I have heard about setup 1.35 many times, but I still do not know, how does it work.

Now I have chance to get gtx 750ti for free, because one of my friends will give it to me.

Maybe I will try this first and if it does not work, I will buy diy setup 1.35.

When I was reading forums, I found out, that people usually do not use 1050 for eGPU. It only makes problems.

I will let you know, how does it work, when I get gtx 750ti.

Thank you very much for your help!

Tonight I modded nvidia drivers and GTX 1050 now works with external monitor and with latest driver installed!

But there is another problem: my pc freezes (crashes) after couple of minutes and only force shutdown helps there.

Do you have any idea, what could be wrong?

UPDATE: I have found a sollution. Disabling dGPU (gt 720m) fixed the problem and gtx 1050 now works without problems. Game performance is awesome, also on max settings. I tested rocket league, world of tank and, supraball. I get 60 fps even when game is maxed out.

Again, thank you for all your help! 

Edited by ErAndrej
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.