Error 43 with NVidia 372.90 and newer drivers -> Use 372.70

Lucas114846

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 6:21 PM, GTANAdam said:

I'd like to confirm my theory earlier concerning the Code 43 device error.

Seems like the newer nvidia drivers are trying to reset the graphics device while installing but such feature called "Hotplugging" is not safe on laptops so the BIOS actually partially disables the device to avoid further conflict.

So the solution is enabling "Hotplug" in the PCIe settings in BIOS.

For those who are not able to access the advanced options, You will either have to wait for Nvidia to fix it or actually install a custom BIOS (This is dangerous).

Thanks so much! After enabling Hot Plug the new drivers worked, finally!

The only thing is that I had to mod my BIOS to get that setting, might be a possibility for others who have limited BIOS options...

Edited by Slickback

3 minutes ago, Slickback said:

So I modded my BIOS

Thanks so much! After enabling Hot Plug the new drivers worked, finally!

The only thing is that I had to mod my BIOS to get that setting, might be a possibility for others who have limited BIOS options...

Sweet!

Its stupid that such a basic option is hidden. They could just leave it disabled, not many people even know about it, or what it does.

1 minute ago, bloodhawk said:

Sweet!

Its stupid that such a basic option is hidden. They could just leave it disabled, not many people even know about it, or what it does.

You're right it is stupid... I've only just got my egpu setup and working, I don't want to f**k about with the Bios, I just want to play BF1 =)

* HURRY UP NVIDIA!!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Granty said:

You're right it is stupid... I've only just got my egpu setup and working, I don't want to f**k about with the Bios, I just want to play BF1 =)

* HURRY UP NVIDIA!!

Im looking into the registry method @Tech Inferno Fan mentioned earlier in this thread. should be able to test that out tomorrow. If that works, there wont be any need to mess with the BIOS.

Edited by bloodhawk

@bloodhawk I tried following this method: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/post/4967359/#4967359 but I couldn't run the text file on the desktop as 'Administrator' as the option was greyed-out. Be good to hear if you manage to get Nando's method working! 

* I tried the method found on the Geforce forum (link above), but it didn't work the first time, but I thought I would try again. Luckily I had kept the file and when I tried creating and running the shortcut file again on my desktop, it WORKED!! So now I can play BF1 :frantics: 

So at least now I don't have to wait for Nvidia to get their act together.

Edited by Granty
Update

6 minutes ago, Granty said:

@bloodhawk I tried following this method: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/post/4967359/#4967359 but I couldn't run the text file on the desktop as 'Administrator' as the option was greyed-out. Be good to hear if you manage to get Nando's method working! 

That is slightly different issue, nando's suggestion is to remove the HotPlug strings from the driver it self or remove/disable them in the registry. So that it isn't even used.

I see, well good luck with that @bloodhawk when you try that tomorrow! Weird that Nvidia made these changes in their recent drivers. The eGPU market seems to be getting bigger and bigger now, so they need to fix this asap! =)

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, bloodhawk said:

Im looking into the registry method @Tech Inferno Fan mentioned earlier in this thread. should be able to test that out tomorrow. If that works, there wont be any need to mess with the BIOS.

I initially tried that however I couldn't find the SurpriseRemovalSupport and EnableRunTimePowerManagement registry entries noted here. That post was also from January so either I just failed in finding them (very possible) or Nvidia has removed them again.

Maybe you'll have better luck?

• Thumbs Up 1

So i was able to find only one of the entries, and removing/disabling that did not help. It was the  EnableRunTimePowerManagement  key that showed up in the registry search.

I even tried adding both the strings and setting up disabled values, that did not help either. So there is definitely something more going on here.

For the time being enabling PCIe Hot Plug for the respective port in the BIOS solves the issue. But not sure what a long term solution would be. Specially since not every one has access to that option, as it hidden in most of the BIOS's. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I can confirm two things:

1. Code 43 still occurs on Windows 8.1 (at least on a Thunderbolt 2 eGPU setup). So Windows 8.1 is not a solution.

2. The registry entries that Nando hinted at aren't referenced at all during the install.

I recorderd all registry reads/writes during installing the drivers and there is no reference to Hot plugging, Removal, Restarting, Resetting, etc. So this seems hard coded into the drivers, and not something that can be turned off via a registry entry.

Unfortunately, no solution thus far for Thunderbolt eGPU users, and those without BIOS access to PCI-e hot plugging settings.

Edited by rbut

1 hour ago, rbut said:

I can confirm two things:

1. Code 43 still occurs on Windows 8.1 (at least on a Thunderbolt 2 eGPU setup). So Windows 8.1 is not a solution.

2. The registry entries that Nando hinted at aren't referenced at all during the install.

I recorderd all registry reads/writes during installing the drivers and there is no reference to Hot plugging, Removal, Restarting, Resetting, etc. So this seems hard coded into the drivers, and not something that can be turned off via a registry entry.

Unfortunately, no solution thus far for Thunderbolt eGPU users, and those without BIOS access to PCI-e hot plugging settings.

That is weird, all drivers work for me in Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, if i hook up the GPU over TB3. 

Nvidia has done a bang up job of messing things ups.

On 9/22/2016 at 4:05 PM, keviskon said:

Can confirm, same thing happened to me .. reverted to 372.70 and card was active again. 2014 MBP 15 Retina Iris Pro ... Akitio Thunder2 w/ 1060 6GB.

On 9/30/2016 at 3:47 AM, londonsteve said:

I've got the same issue, reinstalled 372.70 and it works fine again. Really hope the next update fixes this!

On 10/1/2016 at 5:19 AM, Djestrobert7 said:

Same problem here. I really would like to try this version to see if this make Forza runs smoothly with my Gtx 1060. I only get around 25-30 fps no matter if graphics are in Low or Ultra.

On 10/1/2016 at 5:31 AM, Djestrobert7 said:

Hey guys. I just did something.

I tried to install the driver 372.90 by selecting custom installation and disabling all the others component except Graphic Driver and it worked for me!!! I hope it works for some of you as well.

I apologize for quoting everybody but out of curiosity what windows build are you on? I have found that the anniversary update also causes many of the same problems. Or at leased makes booting much more difficult. I believe it is build 1607 in which in 30 minutes I cannot get a successful boot.

15 hours ago, schrot said:

Any updates here? I want to start with my gtx 1050ti :(

The only other potion than what was previously said is using the old drivers as well. 

On 11/5/2016 at 8:28 AM, bloodhawk said:

That is weird, all drivers work for me in Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, if i hook up the GPU over TB3. 

Nvidia has done a bang up job of messing things ups.

It seems to be specific to TB1 & TB2. TB3 should be officially supported due to the Razer Core being available.

Edit: might be specific to the Core but it does still run over TB3

Edited by Lucas114846

5 hours ago, Lucas114846 said:

It seems to be specific to TB1 & TB2. TB3 should be officially supported due to the Razer Core being available.

Edit: might be specific to the Core but it does still run over TB3

No it is not limited to TB1 and TB2. Also with TB3, for a few people and with M.2/PCIe based solutions. 

22 hours ago, Lucas114846 said:

There are no old drivers for the gtx 1050 ti :/

I apologize for quoting everybody but out of curiosity what windows build are you on? I have found that the anniversary update also causes many of the same problems. Or at leased makes booting much more difficult. I believe it is build 1607 in which in 30 minutes I cannot get a successful boot.

The only other potion than what was previously said is using the old drivers as well. 

Example: use hwinfo64 to check if your eGPU hosting PCIe port supports hotplugging

1. We know NVidia drivers 372.90 and newer require the eGPU hosting PCIe bridge support to support hotplugging or otherwise an error 43 will be issued. There is some suggestion this may be confined to Win10 anniversary edition [ comments welcome ].

2. Example below: a Dell E6540 (that I'm currently using). I find the wifi card to identify the mPCIe port that could host an eGPU. Then I click the hosting PCIe bridge to check if hotplugging support is enabled.

hotplug-check.png

3 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

There is some suggestion this may be confined to Win10 anniversary edition [ comments welcome ].

Nope occurs on Win 8.1 also (Akitio Thunder 2 with 1060).

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Error 43 with NVidia 372.90 and newer drivers -> Use 372.70

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.