MSI GT70 2PE temperature goes to 90C+ when playing games and frame rates drop

shandxb

Hello I have a MSI GT70 2PE Dominator with Intel i7-4810 MQ & GTX880M and i am really worried about the temperatures it is producing.
I am using the MSI Gaming Center program that came with the laptop to view temps and i discovered today that after playing Metro Last Light that the cpu temp was at 90C!
The GPU was around there too but it lowered quickly down to 50C when i quit Metro and the cpu temp is still sitting at 65C right now..
I remember when i first got this thing it used to sit at 40c idle cpu and like 35c GPU
When i turn it on it stays at 40c cpu and 35c gpu but if i play Metro the temps go up fast.

I would appreciate if you guys can help me sort out the issue as i dont want to burn my Laptop  :burn_joss_stick: or is it just normal. 

CPU
________________________________________________________________________________
Model                : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Logical cores        : 8
CPUID                : GenuineIntel family 6, model 3C, stepping 3
Tjmax                : 100°C

GPU1
________________________________________________________________________________
Display device       : GeForce GTX880M on GK104 GPU
Display driver       : 372.54
BIOS                 : 80.04.f7.00.07
GUID                 : VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&SUBSYS_11051462&REV_A1&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0
Multi-GPU role       : master

GPU2
Display device       : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
GUID                 : VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_11051462&REV_06&BUS_0&DEV_2&FN_0
Registry key         : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{C81EC320-BD5B-44C9-A366-EB2F03606438}\0000

On-Screen Display server
Path                 : C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server
Version              : v6.5.0 Beta 5
Active client(s)     : framerate monitoring module
                     : On-Screen Display module
Active 3D process    : Kodi.exe
                     : SBCinema.exe
                     : terminal.exe
                     : SteelSeriesEngine.exe
                     : iCloudServices.exe
                     : Dragon Gaming Center.exe

The GT70 have this Problem only with GTX 880M,all other Brands have the same Problem with this Card.

The next Problem is the EC Firmware,it limits the power to 180W.

In Global MSI Forum You can get from svet a unlocked Firmware and unlocked Vbios for all Cards.

But You have pay for it,only a small Donation.

Here a Benchmark from my GT70 only with unlocked Vbios.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11553413

And here from my GT72 with GTX 980M from Yesterday.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11586297

Don`t forget the design of the GT70 Mainboard is 7 years old.

It begins with GT660,and it is the most compatible Plattform for MXM Upgrades.

Edited by Bloetschkopf

On 9/18/2016 at 9:31 AM, Bloetschkopf said:

The GT70 have this Problem only with GTX 880M,all other Brands have the same Problem with this Card.

The next Problem is the EC Firmware,it limits the power to 180W.

In Global MSI Forum You can get from svet a unlocked Firmware and unlocked Vbios for all Cards.

But You have pay for it,only a small Donation.

Here a Benchmark from my GT70 only with unlocked Vbios.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11553413

And here from my GT72 with GTX 980M from Yesterday.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11586297

Don`t forget the design of the GT70 Mainboard is 7 years old.

It begins with GT660,and it is the most compatible Plattform for MXM Upgrades.

Thanks for the reply guys. I did a repaste with Artic Silver 5. I was not able to find IC diamond here in Dubai ( thanks for suggesting Spell bound), unless i had to order it online and wait for it. for the repaste i did for both GPU and CPU. at the moment it running at 75- 80C however for Metro i did also disable the Advanced Physics option.. 

Out of curiosity Bloetschkopf did you upgrade your GT 70 to 980M. If so can you please guide me how you did it. 

The Upgrade is very easy,You only need a GTX 980M  without G-Sync and modify the Heatsink a little.

If the Card is not from MSI You have to flash the MSI Vbios,this is also not complicated.

The violett markered Heatsink is Yours,the Yellow markered is the original for GTX 980M.

The red markered Place at Your Heatsink must be removed and the green markered Place You must fill up with Therma Pads.

Thats all.

post-33931-14495001266004.jpg

thats great info bloetschkopf, 2 things that is concerning me about the upgrading is, will it be worth it upgrade to 980M from 880M in terms of performance gained and money spent on upgrade( upgrade kit being $800 as i checked). Also on the other hand it will be definite advantage in terms of heat issue of 880M.

Second thing is as i saw your benchmark results the GT72 has lower scores compared to GT 70, is it due to the unlocked Vbios is GT70.

90C is okay for haswell CPU.

I have 4810MQ too and these temps are normal under heavy load.

Not sure about GTX880M, I have 970M and it goes up to 75. I can imagine 880M running hotter.

Don't forget the GPU and CPU heatsink are bridged. Hot CPU will warm cold GPU a little and vice versa.

Try new thermal grease and see if it helps.

Haswell increases voltage with frequency and load.

You can install intel XTU and decrease voltage offset a little. Decrease just a little, run some stress test and see if it's stable. Decrease more and see.

Basically google how to decrease voltage on Haswell with XTU.