Battery upgrades for P6x Clevos ?

Arondight

Purchasing my Clevo felt pretty great, the CPU/GPU might be soldered but being able to pick almost everything else felt great. There's just one thing bothering me. Why are there no options for the battery ? It seems so simple. Clevo (or any 3rd party really) could easily make a larger battery that would, for exemple use the space of an unused 2.5" enclosure. Maybe not enough people would be interested, I can get that. But while there are many people DIYing eGPUs using crazy m.2 setups I can't find even one battery customization. I'm sure there is a reason but I just can't find it.

When seeing the 2015 MacBook Pro has a 93w/h battery in a chassis so small it's burning itself to death under load but a 1 inch Clevo only has a measly 60w/h battery I just have to ask : why ? I'd be throwing money at whoever would sell a better battery.

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads come with several battery options for each particular model.

There is usually the 3/4cell battery that takes up just a small amount of space.

Then there would be a medium 6cell battery that either has a protrusion out the back or increases the height of the machine.

Then there would be a large 9/12cell one that has a huge protrustion out the back.

There are also 3cell ultrabay batteries that go into the ODD slot, for some models.

You could DIY a massive battery pack yourself if you could build a physical case for it, and use control circuitry from the stock battery pack. Similar to re-celling, but adding more cells.

What surprises me is that there isn't more options for the regular chassis. Making an entire new undercover to fit a bigger battery would be too much work for Clevo, but having a 5 well battery option for the people who don't use their 2.5" enclosure shouldn't be that hard. It's almost frustrating knowing I have a huge empty space in my laptop that could be used for battery life ahah.

Edited by Arondight

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same opinion as @Arondight I have do not use the 2.5" sata ports on my P651SE so it would be awesome to have an option for a bigger battery.

The problem with adding more cells, at least for me of course, would be the weight gain from that operation, so a rather annoying trade-off.

I've been looking in this forum for some ideas, and this thread by @Khenglish made me think of doing the same on my battery.

I have some issues tough:

• I don't have the necessary EEPROM flasher (it's fairly cheap)
  • I don't know how to edit the battery firmware (but it does not seem complicated)
  • I don't know were to buy genuine high capacity cells (maybe @Khenglish can give a hand here)
  • I don't know if the cells that @Khenglish bough are of the same size as the ones present in the P650SE battery.

The first two I will try to accomplish in the coming weeks. The other two may be solved as soon as @Khenglish sees this thread :D

So... does anyone have a P651SE (or the newer skylake/pascal model) damaged battery for donation? :D

I'll probably do it with my own battery anyway. Being able to add battery capacity to the laptop without adding more weight would be awesome.