Sign in to follow this  
phila_delphia

Overclocked yet undervolted Pascal with Afterburner 4.3

Hi there! As Afterburner 4.3 beta 14 gives access to the voltage curves, I plaed around some and found out that one can undervolt the GPU with some success.

After locking my GPU clock on 1709 mhz @ 800mV and the RAM clock on 4498 mhz I was able to run the Witcher 3 with the same framerate (73.5 FPS 1080p ultra without Hairworks) as under standard voltage - anyhow my notebook was consuming about 15-17 watt less (152 instead of 168). With G-Sync enabled (one might as well say with FPS locked to 60) the result is even mor drastic, as the GPU won`t clock up as the load decreases in light weigth scenes. I could reduce the power consumption about 20-30 watt (128 instead of 156), depending on the GPU load.

Perhaps some of you guys care to post their results, and perhaps are able to answer one question: I thought with GPU clock locked to 1709 an RAM to 4498 I thought I`d surpass the standard settings in regard to the FPS - still this is not the case. I know this has to do with th undervolting, but still...

Best regards

phila

Edited by phila_delphia

Update: If you try to get one straight line (same clock all over) you will likely loose performance, like I did. The thing is to set the Point of your desired maximum clock about 850 mV an let the clock spped decrease to the left by one step each. To the right you want to keep your max clock of course. This will save you up tp 30 Watts on scenes with light load as with the regular curve the card will clock up and thus use more power.

Best regards

phila

Edited by phila_delphia
speling

It's worth noting that power consumption -> thermal output.

When you use less power, your GPU also runs cooler.

GPU Boost 2.0/higher will boost your card more when you have lower temps.

As such, lower voltage -> lower power consumption -> lower thermal output -> higher clocks assuming GPU Boost is in effect.

Edited by Arbystrider

7 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

It's worth noting that power consumption -> thermal output.

When you use less power, your GPU also runs cooler.

GPU Boost 2.0/higher will boost your card more when you have lower temps.

As such, lower voltage -> lower power consumption -> lower thermal output -> higher clocks assuming GPU Boost is in effect.

I play with G-Sync (max FPS 60). Every time I run a passage with comparatively light load, my GPU boosts the core clock speed. This adds to the pwerconsumption significantly.

With the clock speed limited to the max clock speed under full load, I get the the best performance without the overhang.

Best regards

phila

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By alwon
      I tried to extract the .bin from the .exe (on Dell's website) using PhoenixTool v.273, and in a way it worked... I want to change the TDP values on my 1060mq but when I tried to open the .bin in Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker, this is what happened. Can somebody help me? Here's the original .exe and the .bin. Thanks!

(note: I wasn't able to extract the bios using AFUWINGUI64 or any other similar tool as I think Dell has some type of guard or protection against that, suspecting that's also the cause of my current issues...)
    • By Psycha
      Hello, I'm on an alienware m17 r4 and am trying mod my vbios for a 970m 3GB msi. I've managed to get the max boost with an increase in voltage, however I believe my voltage settings maybe unstable. When attempting to load programs capable of high gpu usage capabilities, the gpu begins to become pretty unstable. would anyone be able to provide assistance? I have both my edited and original roms as well.

*update

I'm not sure how to delete this thread but disregard this please. I've figured out the issue.
    • By Revenknight
      Hello, I have a Medion Erazer x7841 gaming laptop. 
      I want to onstall a custom bios to pass the overclocking limit of 135Mhz.
      Does anyone can halp me with this?

Thanks alot for any help-

• By Sarafan
      Does anyone have experience with this?

Some threads I've seen have done it on a 17 inch laptop, I was wondering if it was possible on the 15 inch version as well.

What issues will I face? I read about having to have a custom BIOS and vBIOS..but also HDMI/audio issues.

I guess I should also upgrade my CPU, which runs really hot (i7 4800MQ), but not sure another Haswell chip will run any cooler.

I've used liquid metal and even that hasn't changed temperatures much, it still reaches 93C pretty easily.
    • By true2456
      Hey all, decided to get a cheap m15x and managed to get an msi gtx 980m along with it. I've ordered two fans I'm planning on trying to mod in, one being a 13 cfm dell m6700 fan and the other a 11cfm m4700 fan to try and help with the heat. I currently have a 210 or 240 watt? power adapter and a 920xm installed so I'm planning on undervolting the gpu. Is it best to do this inside afterburner or is better to do try and mod the vbios? Also will I have to flash the dell vbios onto my card to get it working with my system or will I just have to modify the .INF file?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.