Overclocked yet undervolted Pascal with Afterburner 4.3

Hi there! As Afterburner 4.3 beta 14 gives access to the voltage curves, I plaed around some and found out that one can undervolt the GPU with some success.

After locking my GPU clock on 1709 mhz @ 800mV and the RAM clock on 4498 mhz I was able to run the Witcher 3 with the same framerate (73.5 FPS 1080p ultra without Hairworks) as under standard voltage - anyhow my notebook was consuming about 15-17 watt less (152 instead of 168). With G-Sync enabled (one might as well say with FPS locked to 60) the result is even mor drastic, as the GPU won`t clock up as the load decreases in light weigth scenes. I could reduce the power consumption about 20-30 watt (128 instead of 156), depending on the GPU load.

Perhaps some of you guys care to post their results, and perhaps are able to answer one question: I thought with GPU clock locked to 1709 an RAM to 4498 I thought I`d surpass the standard settings in regard to the FPS - still this is not the case. I know this has to do with th undervolting, but still...

Best regards

phila

Edited by phila_delphia

Update: If you try to get one straight line (same clock all over) you will likely loose performance, like I did. The thing is to set the Point of your desired maximum clock about 850 mV an let the clock spped decrease to the left by one step each. To the right you want to keep your max clock of course. This will save you up tp 30 Watts on scenes with light load as with the regular curve the card will clock up and thus use more power.

Best regards

phila

Edited by phila_delphia
speling

It's worth noting that power consumption -> thermal output.

When you use less power, your GPU also runs cooler.

GPU Boost 2.0/higher will boost your card more when you have lower temps.

As such, lower voltage -> lower power consumption -> lower thermal output -> higher clocks assuming GPU Boost is in effect.

Edited by Arbystrider

7 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

It's worth noting that power consumption -> thermal output.

When you use less power, your GPU also runs cooler.

GPU Boost 2.0/higher will boost your card more when you have lower temps.

As such, lower voltage -> lower power consumption -> lower thermal output -> higher clocks assuming GPU Boost is in effect.

I play with G-Sync (max FPS 60). Every time I run a passage with comparatively light load, my GPU boosts the core clock speed. This adds to the pwerconsumption significantly.

With the clock speed limited to the max clock speed under full load, I get the the best performance without the overhang.

Best regards

phila