BPlus PE4C or EXP GDC Beast NGFF.m2?

omenchild

Just found out about this awesome world of eGPU's. Been googling and reading like crazy but some questions have not been answered.

I have planned on building myself a eGPU rig with Nvidia 1060 (or 1070), exterior, an appropriate ITX-psu and perhaps a better cooling system.

But I'm not sure which of the two docks would suite my need the most. Personally of what I've seen the PE4C seem to be more robust, but I have no clue.

The only slot I have is a NGFF/M.2 slot? (Not sure, pic below)

And I can't seem to find info on speed comparison/numbers between Mini PCI-e, Expresscard and NGFF/M.2

Will performance be nerfed by the fact that I have that slot?

My computer

MSI GS60-2PE

CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ @ 2.4-3.5GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 3GB

RAM: 32gb

downloada3ede7c1_age_2femulated_2f0_2fDC

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to BPlus PE4C or EXP GDC Beast NGFF.m2?

I suppose Newton's and Ohm's laws are also "outdated", and anyone learning mechanical or electrical engineering shouldn't even bother looking at them, because they are "outdated".

Sent from my Goldstar microwave using Taptotalk

Edited by Arbystrider

On 9/6/2016 at 6:46 AM, Arbystrider said:

I suppose Newton's and Ohm's laws are also "outdated", and anyone learning mechanical or electrical engineering shouldn't even bother looking at them, because they are "outdated".

Sent from my Goldstar microwave using Taptotalk

Wait, do you mean Newton's law 1.3 or 2.0?  It hard to keep all the laws of physics straight, what with all the constant revisions.

Edited by Runamok81

Hi omenchild,

On 05/09/2016 at 3:05 AM, omenchild said:

But I'm not sure which of the two docks would suite my need the most. Personally of what I've seen the PE4C seem to be more robust, but I have no clue.

The only slot I have is a NGFF/M.2 slot? (Not sure, pic below)

What you have is either M.2 A or M.2 E slot (doesn't really matter). NGFF is an older name for it, when it was just introduced. If buying PE4C, go for the one with M.2 A/E connector. If EXP GDC - look for "NGFF EXP GDC", it has a A/E connector as well. I'm waiting for the latter to be delivered actually.

And I can't seem to find info on speed comparison/numbers between Mini PCI-e, Expresscard and NGFF/M.2

There should be no difference between mPCIe and M.2, as they are providing direct lines to PCIe bus. I don't know about ExpressCard.

I have planned on building myself a eGPU rig with Nvidia 1060 (or 1070), exterior, an appropriate ITX-psu and perhaps a better cooling system.

1060/1070 might be an overkill here, as it can get bottlenecked by PCIe x1/x2/x4 that you get from M.2 eGPU solution. EXP GDC vendor mentions this specifically on their product page, and they have a chart of recommended GPUs with high-end ones not being recommended - take a look.

As for PE4c vs EXP GDC - I've seen conflicting reports on the web. Some mentioned bugs in EXP GDC, but it was about older version (v6.0 I think. Current one is 8.3). There are plenty EXP GDC implementation reports on this forum - check them out.

I didn't actually implement my eGPU yet, so you might want to research everything further, but I hope this helps.

Edited by Aleksei

3 hours ago, Aleksei said:

3 hours ago, Aleksei said:

Hi omenchild,

What you have is either M.2 A or M.2 E slot (doesn't really matter). NGFF is an older name for it, when it was just introduced. If buying PE4C, go for the one with M.2 A/E connector. If EXP GDC - look for "NGFF EXP GDC", it has a A/E connector as well. I'm waiting for the latter to be delivered actually.

There should be no difference between mPCIe and M.2, as they are providing direct lines to PCIe bus. I don't know about ExpressCard.

1060/1070 might be an overkill here, as it can get bottlenecked by PCIe x1/x2/x4 that you get from M.2 eGPU solution. EXP GDC vendor mentions this specifically on their product page, and they have a chart of recommended GPUs with high-end ones not being recommended - take a look.

As for PE4c vs EXP GDC - I've seen conflicting reports on the web. Some mentioned bugs in EXP GDC, but it was about older version (v6.0 I think. Current one is 8.3). There are plenty EXP GDC implementation reports on this forum - check them out.

I didn't actually implement my eGPU yet, so you might want to research everything further, but I hope this helps.

Hello.

I have been researching heavily since I started this thread and a lot have been answered and cleared up.

I have an M.2 A/E slot and it provides x4 lanes so the nerfing(?) Will be minimal with current High-end cards only losing around 3-8℅.

I bought the EXP GDC Beast V8 (ngff) on a recent promotion sale (as I also needed huge bulks of components which was optimal).

But I will also get the current PE4C when they restocked, I've already made an enclosure that can fit both so in the future I will be able to switch at any time. I will also make a portable enclosure for when I need to travel, as big steel case with industrial fans and a normal ATX PSU will not be that portable :P.

Yeah I agree I have also only seen conflicting info on both the PE4C and EXP GDC, which is the reason I want to have both.

Btw thank you so much for the answers!

/Omen

Edited by omenchild
double quotations

I see this got bumped recently, I had good luck with the m.2 key m x4 pcie 1 through the pe4c v4.1. You can see details on the appropriate thread in this section.

With "M.2 M"? But I thought that was impossible, that it only was designated for storage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...