I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

mind you think the 980 is going to be good for oculus? im upgrading soon

I bought the 980 to be on the 'safe/better' side for VR. Oculus will make everything available for the 970, but that's probably not going to be maxed settings...

Also SLI (2x970) won't do the trick in VR engines.

In short Oculus will require about 3 times as much GPU power as 1080p rendering, see here:

Blog post from Oculus about the hardware requirements

HTC Vive hasn't released its hardware requirements yet. All taken in consideration if you can afford it go ahead.

Hello Dschijn,

I read it and it was very useful but I am not sure about the PSU, which one will be the best option for an overclocked GTX960 and maybe a couple of fans. DA-2 or ATX? 500W or more? And if there is any danger with the opened Akitio boxes.

About the internal display, I think I am going to use an external display most of the time but it would be nice to have the freedom of an internal display sometimes (but not mandatory).

Thanks

I don't think that there is a comfortable way to use the internal display in Windows... So using an external monitor should be what you are aiming for.

A DA-2 should be fine, even a 400W PSU can be fine, if you use the correct amount of adapters and plugs. A 500W PSU will have (in general) all the plugs you need and makes it a bit less complicated.

Opening the AKiTiO is as dangerous as with every electronic device. If you want to move that setup a lot, a case would be good. Or you take a short GTX960 in the first place and you are able to close the AKiTiO if you are on the road.

I don't think that there is a comfortable way to use the internal display in Windows... So using an external monitor should be what you are aiming for.

A DA-2 should be fine, even a 400W PSU can be fine, if you use the correct amount of adapters and plugs. A 500W PSU will have (in general) all the plugs you need and makes it a bit less complicated.

Opening the AKiTiO is as dangerous as with every electronic device. If you want to move that setup a lot, a case would be good. Or you take a short GTX960 in the first place and you are able to close the AKiTiO if you are on the road.

The Corsair CX 500M:

• Motherboard cable (20+4 pin): 1
  • 4+4-pin (CPU, works as either 4 or 8-pin): 1
  • PCIe 6+2 pin (GPU): 2
  • 4-pin Peripheral power connector ("Molex", HDD): 4
  • SATA 5-pin connector: 5
  • Floppy power: 1
  • Multi-GPU ready: Yes

EVGA Geforce GTX960 FTW:

• Power type: 8-Pin
  • Power phase: 6+2
  • Max power draw: 160W

Then with this PSU I have one cable for the graphic card (PCIe 6+2), other for turn on my PSU (Motherboard cable 20+4 pin) but I don't know in which one I have to connect the molex-to-barrel adapter.

And my concern about the open Akitio box it's not about broken something if I move it, it's about to burn something if I touch it with static energy.

Thanks!

4-pin Peripheral power connector ("Molex", HDD): 4
but I don't know in which one I have to connect the molex-to-barrel adapter.

Well… :D

And of course you shouldn't touch it when running.

Hey guys

I use octane render on my late 2013 iMac 27", and its a pain in the ass to get this thing to render at any decent speed while modeling. For personal reasons, I decided to opt out of building a PC and instead put up some money for an egpu instead... Here's what I have (most of this is from my old gaming rig, I've included links with exact specs):

I have:

I want to buy:

• Akitio Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Chassis
  • Barrel-to-Molex Plug (I've read that these are great alternatives to PCIe risers and cause less problems)

Questions:

1. I've seen only a couple cases of an egpu hooked up to an iMac on this forum, will the setup i posted work?
  2. Will I be able to use this guide to automate my egpu installation process?http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10289-script-automating-installation-egpu-os-x-inc-display-output.html
  3. Will I only be able to use Octane on my external monitor? I read that if you're in a window it shouldn't matter - I run Octane through Cinema4d in a window, so it should still run on my iMac screen right?
  4. Will I eventually be able to SLI two 970s together on my iMac?

@Reignfive:

1. yes

2. yes

3. Octane is not a game and can use any GPU connected and found by the Mac. So you dont have to use an external monitor with Octane.

4. No need for SLI (which would run only in Windows, if it would run)! Simply connect as many eGPUs as you want to your iMac. You can even daisy chain them and just use one TB port on your iMac. Octane will be able to use all of them!

This is my MacBook running Octane on the internal display:

Hello,

For now I have to create my eGPU with the Akitio Thunder2, a EVGA GTX960 FTW (256mm length) and a ATX PSU. I was searching here for a solution to put everything inside an existing case but in all of the examples I saw all they are using a riser. Everyone knows an small case to use this components without a riser?

Thanks!

Hello,

For now I have to create my eGPU with the Akitio Thunder2, a EVGA GTX960 FTW (256mm length) and a ATX PSU. I was searching here for a solution to put everything inside an existing case but in all of the examples I saw all they are using a riser. Everyone knows an small case to use this components without a riser?

Thanks!

Just open the AKiTiO chassis as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-113.html#post128029 to fit your EVGA card into. Any other solutions without riser will require moving the internal AKiTiO board to another chassis thereby requiring custom mount points.

Hello,

I am currently looking to build a eGPU for Fallout 4 coming out next week. From what I have been reading there is a multitude of ways to do this. Here are some specs:

• Macbook Pro 15-inch(Mid-2014)
  • Iris Pro graphics only
  • Windows 10 bootcamp (I know I will probably have to buy Windows 8.1)

My question is what should I buy, I have put some links below as to what my research has lead me to buy but I don't want to make a wrong purchase. Please let me know what I should, any and all advice is welcome. The Wasteland needs me.

Casing:

Amazon.com: Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box: Computers & Accessories

GPU: 3 Choices so far

Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SC GAMING, Only 6.8 inches, Perfect for mITX Build Graphics Card 04G-P4-1962-KR: Computers & Accessories

or

Amazon.com: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card (ZT-90101-10P): Computers & Accessories

*without the cover on the fans so it can fit in the casing

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQUMGM0?colid=1U2RXCH5RLQXF&coliid=I2A5IDPC1VH1ZG&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

PSU

New Genuine Dell 220W Da 2 AC Power Adapter Optiplex USFF SX280 GX620 M8811 | eBay

Now as for the special wires needed to connect everything, I am not exactly sure so I will attach two that I have found that I believe will work.

Pair of PCI E 6 Pin 90 Degree Super Low Low Profile 7" Extension Made in USA | eBay

6 Pin to 6 2 Pin PCI E PCI Express PCIe Splitter Power Cable | eBay

Now as for my problem with Windows 10, I was wondering if anyone have any advice as to acquiring Windows 8.1. Since I bought Windows 10 without owning Windows 8.1 I need to find a way to downgrade, or just wipe that partition and freshly install Windows 8.1

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

The Gigabyte card is too wide!

You will also need an adapter/plug to power the AKiTiO (barrel plug with 2.5x5.5mm). If you want to add that to your DA-2 and 6-Pin connectors, you need to add a 2nd splitter.

If you buy Windows 8.1 you can wipe out the Win10 bootcamp partition and recreate a new one (guess that is the only way).

After reading through that I think I have the basic layout of what I will need to buy. Would you be able to confirm that everything is compatible before I buy it please?

Case:

Amazon.com: Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box: Computers & Accessories

GPU:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NOWEY0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

PSU:

Genuine Dell Da 2 AC Power Supply Optiplex USFF 745 755 760 DA2 | eBay

Wires:

PCI E 6 Pin Male to Dual 6 Pin Female Power Y Cable PCIe 6pin 2X6PIN Splitter | eBay

2pcs CCTV Video Balun 5 5x2 5mm DC Power Plug Terminals Connector Adapter Power | eBay

5.5in PCI-Express 6 Pin Male to Female Vidoe Card Power Extension Cable

4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCI Express PCIe Video Card Power Converter Adapter Cable | eBay

When I put the 6 pin PCIe into the 8 Pin PCIe from the PSU, will the other end of the 6 pin work directly for my 6 pin PCIe GPU?

*********EDIT***********

Considering Fallout 4 comes out in less than a week, i went ahead and read alot online. Everything above is what I bought except for the wires. I bought this wire instead with a 2.5x5.5 mm barrel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NNTVT6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

CD018-1: VELLEMAN INC.: Interconnects

Please let me know if I will need anything else. Thank you

I like that list, 1xsplitter and 1x extension is good. Since you will just need 1x6-Pin for the GPU you can use one side of the splitter + extension to power that. The other side of the splitter can be put into the barrel plug.

You will not need the molex to PCI cable!

You will have to plug the 6-Pin splitter into the 8-Pin DA-2 (CAREFUL with the 12V and ground sides!!!) and the "The Remote pin need to be grounded to power on the DA-2" http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

Your edit list seems fine, but you might need the 6-Pin extensions I guess…

Awesome! So i am understanding the basic concepts of the design. Okay, I will order a 6 pin extension, which side will the go on, the GPU side or the barrel plug side?

Now concerning the grounding of the pins in that 8-pin to 6-pin fixture, I was looking at the diagrams and from what I read when I plug the 6-pin y cable into the fixture there are some wires I need to cut. I was just wondeing if you could help elaborate on exactly what I need to do to get the y-cable/extension to go to the barrel plug?

Thank you

You will have to plug the y-cable into the DA-2. The remote pin needs to get contact with a ground signal (in any way) to make the DA-2 "start".

With that you will have 2 new 6-Pins from the y-cable. One will be used to make the barrel plug (male side) and another will be used with the extension to reach the 6-Pin port on the GPU.

You will have to plug the y-cable into the DA-2. The remote pin needs to get contact with a ground signal (in any way) to make the DA-2 "start".

With that you will have 2 new 6-Pins from the y-cable. One will be used to make the barrel plug (male side) and another will be used with the extension to reach the 6-Pin port on the GPU.

Is there a guide to making a 6-pin PCIe to barrel adapter?Because all I can find is molex to barrel. Also when I am plugging in my 6-pin PCIe into the 8-pin Dell DA-2 side all I need to do it plug it in such a way that those 6-pins touch both the GND and the Remote pins right? So if I am thinking about this correctly, the 6-pin will be plugged into all pins besides the furthest right GND pin and the furthest right 12V pin?

15027d1432629055t-dell-da-2.png

**********EDIT************

After reading some more I found previous information that I will be cutting down the unused 6-pin PCIe from the split into two sets of yellow(+) and black wires(-) for the barrel plug adapter. My own question now is, what is the paperclip trick because it seems that I will need to use that to power my DA-2? Thanks in advance

Ok… some basics:

Most PC devices run on 12V. The power is provided through cables and plugs. Molex or the 6-Pin PCIe are just different plugs, but are both capable of providing 12V. 12V is available on the yellow wires and ground is on the black wires.

To make the barrel mod, you simply cut down the plug (molex or 6-Pin) and put the yellow wires on + and the black wires on -

The 6-Pin splitter has to cover the 6 pins on the "right side" of the 8-Pin (in the picture you posted) with the black wires on the upper part (ground) and the yellow wires (12V) on the lower part!

In any way you are comfortable you need to make electronic contact between the (free) remote pin of the 8-Pin plug with one of the black wires or ground pins. You can to that with a bend paperclip … thats where the name comes from (like this one with a PC PSU: https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmarcomiltenburg.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F09%2FATX-Power-Supply-Connector.jpg&t=557&c=eYzpf82B3bXfVA)

First off Hello im new here and greetings everybody.

So some time ago I stumbled over some videos showcasing mini-pcie eGPU.

Now im asking myself if I could get an eGPU setup for my Laptop an DELL Inspiron 7720-0408 to be precise. I have already informed myself some about this topic.

Im aware that I need to remove my Wireless Card in order for the eGPU to connect.

My question now is how sure can I be that this will actually work for my computer because most people here use thunderbolt or expresscard.

Is my laptop pcie whitelisted how can i find out? (Google didnt help)

This old thread http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6126-can-idea-implemented-inspiron-7720-doesnt-have-expresscard-slot.html only confuses me more and left more questions because of the last post.

If I end up buying some eGPU gear are there websites where I can return it in case it doesnt work?

I already looked through many other forums for eGPU projects with the same laptop but all of the threads end into nothing or simply drop dead like the other thread mentioned in this post.

Does anyone had success with this laptop?

And also what is the TOLUD of my pc?post-40481-14495001113257_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.