Here's the question is :

1.Which of them is better

EXP GDX V8.0 / PE4C V3.0

GTX 970 / GTX 1060 / GTX 980

2.Which PSU should i use

3.what the different between ExpressCard Ver / Pcie Ver

Model of my laptop

Acer Aspire v3-572g

Good day all, I'm new to this forum and I hope I will be able to add value and contribute to all of your discussions. 

I have an acer 5349 that had a b800 cpu and 2Gb of ram running windows 7 home. Wanting to have a gaming rig and having a limited budget I did some research and started on the road of aperrantly a new addiction of mine.

I diged around and found out I can upgrade my b800 cpu and added a i7 2720qm 2.2ghz with 3.3ghz turbo boost. I also swapped out the one 2gb ram for two 4gb ram. My system max. The temps are running fine with stock cooling and a chill pad. Idle at 45 deg and stress test at 95 deg. Im still going to do some cooling mods. 

I have now got my eye on adding an egpu, but with all my reading and searching I was unable to find anything on a egpu setup on my acer aspire 5349.  And aperrantly no one has successfully done so on this model. 

So I come here looking for advice and help.

My laptop like most have  mPcie witch I was hoping to use for the connection between the gpu and my laptop. 

I am about to place an order for the PE4C v3.0 to use as ny interface box. But before I do so would like to know if it is the right one and secondly if it is the best option to get the max performance from the connection. 

I have available a 550w gigabyte power supply im going to use and for the graphics card a Radion R9 280X. Would that be fine ?

I'm hoping to do a step by step update as I build my setup and also get help with trouble shooting is I continue as I'm sure there will be.

In advance thanx for the help in advance. Please let me know if we need more information. 

Attached is the graphics card specs. 

IMG-20161003-WA0000.jpg

Good day all, I'm new to this forum and I hope I will be able to add value and contribute to all of your discussions. 

I have an acer 5349 that had a b800 cpu and 2Gb of ram running windows 7 home. Wanting to have a gaming rig and having a limited budget I did some research and started on the road of aperrantly a new addiction of mine.

I diged around and found out I can upgrade my b800 cpu and added a i7 2720qm 2.2ghz with 3.3ghz turbo boost. I also swapped out the one 2gb ram for two 4gb ram. My system max. The temps are running fine with stock cooling and a chill pad. Idle at 45 deg and stress test at 95 deg. Im still going to do some cooling mods. 

I have now got my eye on adding an egpu, but with all my reading and searching I was unable to find anything on a egpu setup on my acer aspire 5349.  And aperrantly no one has successfully done so on this model. 

So I come here looking for advice and help.

My laptop like most have  mPcie witch I was hoping to use for the connection between the gpu and my laptop. 

I am about to place an order for the PE4C v3.0 to use as ny interface box. But before I do so would like to know if it is the right one and secondly if it is the best option to get the max performance from the connection. 

I have available a 550w gigabyte power supply im going to use and for the graphics card a Radion R9 280X. Would that be fine ?

I'm hoping to do a step by step update as I build my setup and also get help with trouble shooting is I continue as I'm sure there will be.

In advance thanx for the help in advance. Please let me know if we need more information. 

Attached is the graphics card specs. 

On 21/09/2016 at 2:38 PM, Waces said:

Need Help. Can anyone help me if i can set p an eGPU DIY in acer aspire 5749 laptop? Tnx

Hi there my acer 5349 and your acer 5749 has the same motherboard and chipset.  The only difference is that yours came out with a bit more powerful cpu and more ram. From what I researched we should be able to do it you will have to get a mPcie adapter for your adapter box. I am considering buying the PE4C. I just want to confirm that its the best option performance wise. 

The basic components needed is the mPcie adapter box, gpu, power supply big enough to power your gpu and the external screen. 

Most issues we will be able to troubleshoot as we go. The startup  sequence we will need to determine trail by error.  Also we might encounter a memory allocation error if we are at max memory capacity if I understand correctly. 

I'm gonna approach it from a just wing it prospective and solve the errors as they present.  That way I can't see how it won't work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, In the past I had a PC Gaming and didn't have the Graphic Performance problems I have now with my Notebook.

unfortunately because my previous PC broke down (Got damage the motherboard and processor) I had to buy a laptop, due to the lack of money to buy a high-end PC Gamer I had to buy a Lenovo G50-45 with integrated graphics.

The Prosesador is an AMD A8-6410 with Integrated AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.

As I have understood my device comes with mPCI-E Port but can't find it (Unless the one in the right side, which according to me is the Expresscard slot) If I'm wrong please let me know.

My question is: Can be assembled a eGPU to this model?

And which components you recommend for an eGPU for this Laptop?

PE4H PCI-e adapter
EVGA 500 watt PSU

And a Sapphire AMD Radeon Vapor-X R7 370 OC, 4GB 256-bit GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0

I ask this because I want to be sure before doing something, also I want to avoid a bottleneck.
Thats why I'm asking for the components and if it's possible to do it.

If helps.

Mother Board: Lenovo Lancer 5B2

Chipset: AMD Avalon, AMD K16.3

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 (800 MHz

Edited by FireWOLF-007

Hey! So, I have just signed up, after reading the forums for the last 20 hours.. I am preparing to order everything I need to get this going now. My current setup is as follows:

Precision M4600

i7 2960XM

24GB Ram

Samsung Evo 850 1tb

Firepro M5100 (vbios modded for OC) (Also I have a m5950 and a Quadro 1000M on hand)

Dell e-port replicator (usb3) - 3 monitors (two dp, one vga)

I am looking to egpu to get better performance in Overwatch than I am currently getting. Here is a benchmark I performed this morning:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17921296

The M5100 is the best card you can fit inside a M4600, and it's not great, but more importantly, it puts out so much heat that I can't even run my i7 extreme at base settings when the gpu is maxxed, or I will get thermal throttling. Taking the gpu outside of the machine will of course do wonders for that issue.  My questions are the following:

1) It appears with setup 1.3, that I can create separate scripts to enable/disable my dgpu, in order to utilize intel graphics/egpu nvidia with the optimus compression? If I have misunderstood, would it be advisable to put the Quadro 1000m back in despite its much lower performance?

2) I believe with an EC egpu(1x) the bandwidth is such that I may only use one display hooked to my egu? Although I have seen several mentions of having two displays with a similar setup. Is there a chance to get three working? While playing games on my egpu, I have no intention to use the laptops display, nor any objection to disabling the other two monitors. However, ideally I'd like to be able to have them all on, but I will never use multiple displays for gaming, just for productivity. I also recall while reading Dell documentation, that the Optimus required the first display to go on the Intel card on vga, the second and third on the dgpu, or something along those lines. I am wondering if that is still applicable, and I may indeed be able to have all three displays enabled, while docked at home with egpu on.

3) I have not seen a great compilation of benchmarks for egpu's that are very recent. Is there a good resource? Ideally I could buy my egpu card based on an optimization function of cost/performance (as long as significantly better than my current setup), because I know there is significant performance loss with the 1x 2.0 EC, and there must be a hard bottleneck/cutoff somewhere, I cannot however figure out where that cutoff is. 

4) I am not quite sure of how the optimus boost works, but I am curious if the dgpu or the igpu performs the compression. If it is the dgpu, would it make sense to upgrade to the next best quadro(to get better compression ratio)?

5) Although it might not even be possible, if I do not have consecutive pci channels available(will have to do hot swap testing), can anyone estimate the efficiency difference between 1 and 2 channels(2.0 optimus). Or if someone has a good resource to direct me to so that I may fully understand the bottlenecks and calculate those myself. 

5) I assume I'm going to need setup 1.3, so plan to purchase that from Nando. I also will need a pe4c/pe4l. Is there anywhere specifically I can purchase one from someone who contributes here? ie does anyone here sell the hardware? I am not picky and would prefer to support people who contribute here, as this is an amazing resource/community. 

Sorry for the long-ass post.... Hopefully I may be of help somewhere along the line once I get through my build. Any answers/input/advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Also worth mentioning, if anyone has any insight on MXM --> pci-e, I know there is a thread somewhere on the internet, but they are not very technically minded nor motivated, and it still might be totally doable. If someone thinks it is doable, and that it is worth trying, I would consider fabbing a pcb/cable to attempt to take advantage of x16 :D. I'm mainly apprehensive because I am unsure of the limitations of those locked down Dell bios's.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by tmullie

I'm planing to make a eGPU with a AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (If you know a good model of this one)

I need you recommendation of wich components will work with this Graphics on a eGPU in a Lenovo G50-45.

I'm new on the this thing of eGPU.

Lenovo G50-45

Mother Board: Lenovo Lancer 5B2

Chipset: AMD Avalon, AMD K16.3

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 (800 MHz

processor: AMD A8-6410 with Integrated AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.

Hi,

If i was to use a Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Chassis with a GTX 960 Strix 4GB on a late 2014 Mac Mini, how big would the performance improvements be in OS X El Capitan over the HD 5000 iGPU? Specifically in Games such as Borderlands 2 or Tomb Raider 2013? Very unsure of the performance boost with eGPU as game is rendered with OpenGL API in OS X. Would using a Hypervisor with Xen and Windows inside OS X with eGPU using PCI Passthrough be a better choice? 

This is the 1.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Mac Mini Model.

Thanks.

Though I consider myself tech savvy, this website's content has just flown over my head. I know what parts I need to buy and how to put them together. What confused me was the 'Is it even going to work' part.

Here are my reservations:

1. Mine is the version with the dedicated GPU (Nvidia NVS 3100M, pitiful little thing)
  2. I've upgraded the RAM to 8GB, which the first steps article said may be a problem.

so what's all this about bus memory allocation or whatnot. Will it work, or will I have to change some things, or will it just flat out not work. These parts are expensive and I'd really like to be confident going in to this.

Hi Guys,

First post here but i've been lurking through the forums for a while. I've found a lot of awesome information and a lot of answers to my questions but i've also ran into a couple of others.

Firstly i'm running a 13" mid 2012 MBA with the i7 2.0GHZ (TB to 3.2) processor with 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 of ram. I'm pretty sure it has Thunderbolt 1 but i'm not 100% sure. In saying that from the apple website(https://support.apple.com/kb/sp670?locale=en_US) it says up to 10GBPS so i don't know if that narrows that down at all.

Essentially I want to be able to run some games through Windows on the mac but still be able to use everything else on macOS for uni and work. From some of the minimum specs of the games i'm looking to play it looks like an nVidia GTX660 should be ok as an absolute minimum and i would most probably run that through the Akitio Thunder2 as it seems the most stable and the cheapest.

OK here are my questions:

1. Do i HAVE to use an external display and if i do can i use my built in keyboard?

2. Would there be any other cards apart from the GTX660 that might be more reliable / cheaper / better for a similar price?

3. Am I even going to see a significant improvement / is it even possible to work with a setup like this for a macbook air that is of this age?

Thanks guys, please let me know if you need any more info or just any advice in general as well.

Chris.

Hi Guys,

First post here but i've been lurking through the forums for a while. I've found a lot of awesome information and a lot of answers to my questions but i've also ran into a couple of others.

Firstly i'm running a 13" mid 2012 MBA with the i7 2.0GHZ (TB to 3.2) processor with 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 of ram. I'm pretty sure it has Thunderbolt 1 but i'm not 100% sure. In saying that from the apple website(https://support.apple.com/kb/sp670?locale=en_US) it says up to 10GBPS so i don't know if that narrows that down at all.

Essentially I want to be able to run some games through Windows on the mac but still be able to use everything else on macOS for uni and work. From some of the minimum specs of the games i'm looking to play it looks like an nVidia GTX660 should be ok as an absolute minimum and i would most probably run that through the Akitio Thunder2 as it seems the most stable and the cheapest.

1. Do i HAVE to use an external display and if i do can i use my built in keyboard?

2. Would there be any other cards apart from the GTX660 that might be more reliable / cheaper / better for a similar price?

3. Am I even going to see a significant improvement / is it even possible to work with a setup like this for a macbook air that is of this age?

Thanks guys, please let me know if you need any more info or just any advice in general as well.

Chris.

It says up to 10GBPS so i don't know if that narrows that down at all.

Yup, Thunderbolt 1 (up to MBP Late 2013).

1. If you want to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Windows only (games), you don't have to use external display - see this thread at least. Optimus technology is what you're after and you can search the forum for more information. Even if you had to use an external display, you could still use internal keyboard and trackpad.

2. My personal opinion is that it's not worth your while to buy a GTX 660. Simple benchmark comparison says that GTX 970 is 3-4 times faster and better and while you could most likely buy a used GTX 660 for proportional price, GTX 970 will definitely stick with you for a longer period of time and overall, I think you would be happier (especially, if you want to move to a wider display later on). On the other hand, some models may require a stronger PSU than Dell DA-2 (which is cheap) and some models/brands don't fit into Akitio nicely. GTX 970 seems to be quite popular and there have been few issues with it. There are many used GTX 970s to buy as many people upgrade to GTX 1000 series now, but you can still buy a new one. Eventually, you'll probably decide in regard to your budget though :).

3. GTX 660 should give some improvement but overall, probably not as much as you would expect from an eGPU setup of that price. With GTX 970, there will definitely be a significant improvement. Even the low bandwidth of Thunderbolt 1 (some of it will be taken by internal screen acceleration, leaving even less for host-to-device communication) shouldn't (hopefully) be much of a problem since it's pretty pointless to render high resolutions on a 13" screen. As far as I know, MBAs are among the most appropriate for eGPU setups and there are fewer issues with them.

Hi guys!

I'm trying to learn about eGPU setups, but I'm having some trouble following the guides. If you have time, can you tell me what the difference between these adapters are?:

- PE4H v2.4

- PE4H v3.2

- PE4L v1.2

- PE4L v2.1

- PE4C v3.0

- PE4C v2.1

- PE4C v1.2

From my research, it seems like I'd net the best performance with the PE4L v2.1 adapter for my GTX 760 and Lenovo X220 (i5-2620M, 8GB RAM), but I'm not sure.

Lastly (sorry!!): If I'm using an external monitor, would I get any benefit from having an nVidia card over AMD?

Thanks!

- Monkeydg

Hi, I'm trying to build my own eGPU with akitio thunder2 PCIe box, Dell DA-2, and GTX970

And Here's the question. Is there any reason why people use expensive PSU instead of cheap Dell DA-2 PSU? Is there any downside for using Dell DA-2?

I read from somewhere that cheap PSU can cause voltage drop that would burn up the GPU,

is it because you use different PSU for akitio board and GPU? if it is, would Dell DA-2 enough to power up both GPU and the akitio board?

Yes, usually for cards that require higher wattage for overclocking and what not.  If you are getting the Dell DA-2, it definitely should be enough (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications). It is rated at 145W so you should be good to go. Most of your doubts can be answered in the main forums that address the physical implementation and full explanation of what exactly you need.

4 hours ago, daythan01 said:

Yes, usually for cards that require higher wattage for overclocking and what not.  If you are getting the Dell DA-2, it definitely should be enough (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications). It is rated at 145W so you should be good to go. Most of your doubts can be answered in the main forums that address the physical implementation and full explanation of what exactly you need.

Thanks,

found this on ebay

Akitio Thunder2 90 Degree PCI-E External Video Card Box Power Supply Solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331994012638?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

NEW Genuine Dell 220W DA-2 AC Power Adapter OptiPlex USFF SX280 GX620 M8811

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111065612531?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

would these two work together?

Hey guys,

So I just got the gdc beast expresscard video card dock for my old Sony Vaio. My plan is to hook up a GTX650 and hopefully do some light-moderate gaming on it.
The PC specs are the following:

Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4
4GB Ram DDR2 (planning to upgrade to 8GB)
256GB Crucial SSD SATA II

What are your thoughts? Will this old CPU make even light gaming impossible?

Thank you in advance

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post, actually I'm looking for advise to build an egpu system.

I would like to buy a used laptop under 300$ for general use and for gaming using egpu, which one can you advise me to buy ? (I did some research and I can't chose between elitebook 8470p and Dell latitude 6430).

I'm also looking for a gpu under 200$, but I don't know which one is good as egpu, the r9 290x past good ? otherwise which one can you suggest ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post, actually I'm looking for advise to build an egpu system.

I would like to buy a used laptop under 300$ for general use and for gaming using egpu, which one can you advise me to buy ? (I did some research and I can't chose between elitebook 8470p and Dell latitude 6430).

I'm also looking for a gpu under 200$, but I don't know which one is good as egpu, the r9 290x past good ? otherwise which one can you suggest ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Sorry for double post, my Mistake.

Edited by piranha007

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.