I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

On 8/19/2016 at 10:54 AM, benjamin152 said:

HI

• I know that dell Latitude 3550 is not officially supported by V8.0 EXP GDC Beast but is it possible that it would work on my computer:
    • Dell Latitude 3550
    • CPU Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz - Dual-Core
    • Intel® Integrated HD Graphics 4400 (Core x - 4th Gen)
    • Memory: 8gb 

using NGFF of wifi card? 

Screenshot_1.png

WLAN_14_3450_BK_01.jpgWLAN_14_3450_BK_04.jpgWLAN_14_3450_BK_05.jpg

Anyone?

Edited by benjamin152

Hey guys, recently i've been playing dark souls 1 and 2, i'm not done with the sequel, but when i am i would like to play the third installment. Since my laptop is only rocking a gtx960m i'd only be able to get about 45fps at max, so i've been looking for an alternative. Now here is my question, is it possible to buy an akitio thunder2, install gpu/psu and connect it via thunderbolt 2 to my laptop and get it to work with the igpu and dgpu, and if so would i need to patch my pc so the egpu would have to be connected at all times or so? The graphics cards i've considered buying are as following: GTX 960 or GTX 970.

Feel free to ask any questions about my hardware.

Btw: I am pretty familliar with hardware in general, i've built stationary computers before, so the physical installment shouldn't be a problem at all.

Hi all,

i'm planning to use EGPU with my dell xps 2720 AIO and i would like to know if i can use the internal screen instead of using external display. I ask because this pc has a HDMI In port has you could see on the attach fil.

I would like to use akitio thunderbolt 2 box with a gigabyte mini gtx 1070 (to fit in the akitio box). and of course 500w external power supply.

Then connect the hdmi out of the egpu to the hdmi in of my screen ( i think it will work like the external display ?)

Specs of the computer are :

I7-4770s

16 go DDR 3

HD graphics 4600

GT 750m discrete (soldered on the motherboard)

What do you think ?

thx for your help

er_photo_199360.jpg

Edited by Ymoshietsu
Add information

hello there i am newbie to this egpu thing now i am collecting knowlegde and information about this build

also i have some questions

my laptop is a clevo w253en

1st my laptop bios doesn't have graphics card at the post what can i do for this

2nd

14138940_10208611542663214_1939730020_o.jpg

14163844_10208611541703190_554351634_o.jpg

is this a second mini pci express?

if this is a mini pci e i can hook it up here and dont remove the wifi card.

the egpu im going to use is a nvidia evga gtx760ti 

Hi Guys,

I've been browsing the various forums/resources for a couple of hours but I haven't been able to find the information to my following questions. I was hoping you guys could help me find answers to them before I designed and built my setup.

Laptop information:
I have an original HP Omen with gtx 860m built in. It is starting to get a little weak for newer games so I was considering an egpu setup to keep up with games. My laptop doesn't have any thunderbolt ports unfortunately. It does have an M2 type SSD and a mpcie port that contains my wifi/bluetooth module.

So my first question: How do I go about finding out what level of PCIe the mpcie is?

HWiNFO is telling me the port is 1.1 with a maximum of 2.5 GT/s.

However, if I go into the windows settings and look at the adapter details, it says  

PCIE spec version/ PCI device type:  00000002

but it also says PCI current/maximum link speed/width: 00000001 

This is with the adapter in.

just tried AIDA64 Extreme to check. it says pcie 2.0 x1

Do I have x1 1.1? or x1 2.0? 

Second question: If I do only have the x1 1.1, how limited will the newer cards be? 

Will any card put on this type of port outplay my 860m? If so, would the upgrade even be worth it?

I was thinking of buying the 1060 for egpu setup.  I understand if it's severely limited but I don't mind if it outplays my 860m. I just want to play with improved specs for another year or two before A) I upgrade to a laptop with TB3 or B ) I build a gaming PC.

I guess if I saw an older card for a significantly cheap price, I could just buy it if the limited performance is similar to the severely limited newer cards but then I wouldn't have a need for this card in a year or 2.

Final question: How plug and play is the mpcie port?

In other words, the way the port is setup on this laptop, I can make a slot on the side of the laptop where I can interchange my wifi card and a potential egpu setup pretty easily. How easy is it on the software side? Is it as simple as restarting the laptop or is there a longer process to switch out these cards.

Bonus question: If pcie ports are pretty much plug and play, I could use the M2 port for upgraded speeds, could I potentially have windows 10 loaded on an external ssd with games and exchange my internal ssd for egpu for gaming and then switch back for regular laptop use?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Edited by PaKii94

Hello, I have a question about setting up an E-GPU for my Dell Latitude E6430. Will the following parts be sufficient or will I have to buy other cables/adaptors?

1. Bplus Pe4c PCIe 16x to Expresscard (<-linked): Is this compatitble with the EC slot in the latitude?

2. EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti (<-linked)

3. Dell DA-2 220 W (<- linked)

This list seems rather short and thus I am skeptical. Will I just need to download Nividia Drivers or will I have to go the Setup 1.3 route?

Thank you for reading so much, I appreciate all the help you guys have given me on this forum. Someday, I hope to be like you guys.

16 hours ago, Hwrgrabe said:

This list seems rather short and thus I am skeptical. Will I just need to download Nividia Drivers or will I have to go the Setup 1.3 route?

This is all you need in terms of hardware.

Install the nvidia mobile drivers.

Get Setup 1.3x only if and when you need it.

On 8/25/2016 at 6:49 PM, peterras said:

Feel free to ask any questions about my hardware.

1. You ask us if you can use an Akitio box but you don't even mention what laptop you use. Read other users' experiences with your laptop+eGPU if any. Otherwise, you are on your own.

2. The GTX 970 has known framerate limit issues in the context of eGPU.

Hello

I have business machine - thinkpad t410 with i5-520m, 8gb ram and optimus graphics.

Is that has sense to build any external GPU ? Is there someone who tried this on this platform ?

Hope to hear you

thank you

6 hours ago, Jbctj said:

Is there someone who tried this on this platform ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thinkpad+t410+external+gpu

2 hours ago, Waces said:

can anyone teach me?

There are countless resources already available between T|I and NBR.

If you can't read any of them, then that just shows how willing you are to learn.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

Hello,

I am looking for a way to improve my HP Spectre x360 with a e-GPU.
I red some post here and there, and it seems there are no working solution made by a constructor.
This is where I think to do it by myself, but I am looking for some insights from people who might have try it DIY.
I would like to gather ideas and leads on how to get a good start in such a project ?

I thank anyone who would consider my request and fulfill some wise advices.

The only way for you would be to use the mPCIe slot where your wifi card is put into. The bottom plate is fixed with 8 screws but the bottom plate doesn't seem to be thought to be removed by the user. You'd void your warranty and maybe wouldn't get the bottom plate fixed again. Also there may be trouble with the display as the device is a convertible.

So , summarized you should actually simply forget about using an eGPU with your notebook. If you'd like to use an eGPU sell your notebook and look for one that is suitable for one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum.

It has been a week since i first read about eGPU, so I decided that I want to go into it too...

As I have been reading all about it, I still have some questions. If you could help, would very much appriceate...

1) I have found out that PCI slots are x1 1.0 (one of them has WLAN in - its quite small card, another is empty and the label bellow says WPAN - its longer slot then WLAN), also i have ExpressCard slot also 1.0 54mm (I believe).... So to have better performance, I should use PCIe, correct?

2) How much performance it will loose? ExpressCard Slot can handle 35 MB/s in reality, PCIe about 250MB/s... for 30 FPS each around 2MB is 60MB/s enough... Is this correct that those mid end graphic cards handling way more will be able to give me this performance? Or what exactly is limiting the eGPU graphic card?

3) This day I first heard that the mini PCI, PCIe and mini PCIe is not the same thing (and not all of them can be used for eGPU)... also some1 was sorting the issue that the port doesnt have to be PCI at all, something called M.2? What is it? is it usable for eGPU? So how do I actually find out what the empty slot in my laptop is? Whithout knowing I cant go futher :/ (please see picture attached, and help me determie).

4) From all learnt what slat do I have, what should i buy from adapters?

Thank you a lot!

PS: Laptop is DELL Latitude E5500, and motherboard on it is 0DW635IMG_20160906_194241-min.jpg

Hi man, for me your laptop is too old if you want take benefit of an egpu in gaming, so you will spend much money for almost no benefit.
The bandwith will be too small, modern games needs a bandwith of Gb/s to go at decent frame rate at good resolution, 250Mb/s will be the minimum. Also you need a better CPU , memory and so on.
My advice to start into an easy way is go to Dell e6430 (the easier is igpu only), pe4c pciexpress adapter and some gtx 960-970, also if you are a noob it will works on connect.
After you Can do plenty of mods if you like but not required for egpu.

Bye.

Hello.
just wanted to ask i have a folio 9480m i wanted to buy a Mpcie  8.0 EXP beast for 29€ but i found the another NGFF version that cost double the price 50€
My wifi card is A+E key M.2 but i think the mpcie will work normally!! just want to make sure. can you confirm to me guys.
Thanks.

On 9/7/2016 at 10:04 AM, Arbystrider said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thinkpad+t410+external+gpu

There are countless resources already available between T|I and NBR.

If you can't read any of them, then that just shows how willing you are to learn.

im new here in techinferno. what's T I and NBR? pls understand im very new in eGPU. can  u guide me? help is very much appreciated, tnx

Hey guys, I am new to the egpu scene and starting to look into it for a new laptop and have some questions.

Has anyone attempted to set up an egpu at all with a Lenovo X1 Yoga or even a Carbon? I just purchased an x1 Yoga and I know the integrated GPU will not be much good for doing anything serious on, and I would love to be able to possibly run some games on this when I'm on the go and be able to run them half decent, plus get the most out of the oled screen I am getting with the laptop.

Does anyone know if it is actually possible to set one up for these units? I do not believe I have 2 m2 slots so I think I would be limited to using the wifi pcie slot in the laptop but I am not sure if the card is soldered to the motherboard and cannot find many pictures or examples of one being taken apart to see what the card looks like in there.

Idealy I am just looking to play a little bit of Starcraft and CS:GO on the laptop and I would love for this ultra thin lightweight portable machine to be able to kind of be my all in one laptop and when I'm somewhere for a while and might want to play a game I can just pull out my GPU and hook it up. Really hoping someone here might have some experience trying to use an egpu on one of these machines, or any experience using them in general to know if it might be possible or not.

Lastly, I would probably be looking into a basic GPU to use with this if possible, maybe a GTX 950 for about 100 bucks. The one I would be looking at is the Asus low power one that only draws 75w power max and does not require any 6 or 8 pin power connectors to run it. My question is are there any adapters that would allow me to use maybe a smaller more portable standard laptop power brick to power a lower power GPU like this, or would I still be required to have an ATX power supply on me to connect a 24pin cable and or 6 pin to the adapter?

Sorry for the questions but I am so new to this and excited to get this laptop and would love to know if looking into an egpu setup is worth it or even possible for this laptop or if it's a waste of time. Hopefully they decide to add a thunderbolt port on the next version and keep the oled screen and maybe I can sell this to a friend and upgrade to that if TB will be the only option. Crossing my fingers if it's not posible now maybe their next revision will be.

For what it's worth, I found a guide online that does a teardown of this unit and one of the pictures and comments on it is " Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga has a spare M.2 slot for WWAN, but does not set aside the antenna. " If this has a spare m.2 slot, would it be possible in theory to use this one for an egpu and leave the regular wifi card in the machine? If not, could it still be possible to take out the wifi card and then use that slot?

Edited by Lunatics

Dear Tech Inferno Fan,
Which should i get for my diy egpu setup PE4C v3.0 or the EXP GDC beast v8.0? Seems like you're the brain behind the diy egpu thing. My laptop is an ASUS G74SX with i7 2670QM and win 10 64bit. Your reply are really aprreciated. Thanks. Can you email me personally at [email protected]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.