I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

I couldn't find any questions about this, so I decided to make an account to ask.

Will a Dell DA-2 180W PSU be enough for a GTX 970? I know I'm pushing it, but I just need to know if this will be enough or will I have to opt for a higher PSU?

Will a Dell DA-2 220W cut it or will I have to go higher?

Thanks in advance!

On 2/25/2016 at 0:48 PM, Khenglish said:

@Turbolego

If your laptop has the 860m I would not even consider an eGPU. If you have the 765m the eGPU will be an improvement, but not what you are likely hoping for. The x16 slot is for the dGPU and it cannot be changed. You only have one mpci-e slot, so you can only do x1 2.0, and even that requires having no wifi card. You will need to use nando4's setup program to disable the dGPU for optimus to run since Clevo systems lack a BIOS option to disable the dGPU. With the performance hit of x1 there will be some games that run better on the 860m than if you were running an eGPU 980, although there would be some where the 980 does win significantly.

@shraey96

Even with the CPU upgrade, the CPU will still be a substantial bottleneck in many games. I personally would go for a new laptop, or maybe a desktop for games when at home. I have no idea what hayden55 is talking about when referencing a 980m.

Thanks for the heads up. But I guess I'll wait for a decent laptop then. Won't the CPU be able to let me play games on 1080p medium on 30fps even? What about at 720p? I was actually thinking of using this as a low end gaming system until i build a full desktop. Thanks

Edited by shraey96

3 hours ago, shraey96 said:

Thanks for the heads up. But I guess I'll wait for a decent laptop then. Won't the CPU be able to let me play games on 1080p medium on 30fps even? What about at 720p? I was actually thinking of using this as a low end gaming system until i build a full desktop. Thanks

That system will only have pci-e 1.1 for the mpci-e and expresscard slot. You also cannot do optimus. You will need to do x2 for the performance to be any good.

The bottleneck from the cpu acts like a constant frame rate cap regardless of the screen resolution. It will vary from game to game, but will in general be pretty low. Most games will still be playable, but you will rarely be able to get 60fps.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try playing on 720p then. As i said, 30fps is fine for me. But will the setup  work with an external display? Will probably end up getting a gt 730. Also what is x2 for performance? And lastly will gaming without optimus on an external screen effect games? Thank you 

Hello Gents!

The new Street Fighter game is out and I need to rise up to the challenge. As the game-play is locked to 60 fps, the min. "desktop" requirement is GTX 480. What eGPU combo would you recommend to match that on my Lenovo W530 w/ quadro K2000? Ideally this performance should be attainable on internal display and be as stable and practical as possible.

I was thinking EXP GDC Beast V8 via EC along with a GTX 660 or 750ti? Or is it better to go wih a PE4L, PE4C, for stability reasons as nando recommended in one post (might not be still the case for V8 Beast).

Thanks a lot and keep up the awesome work!

-of

On 25.2.2016 at 8:18 AM, Khenglish said:

@Turbolego

If your laptop has the 860m I would not even consider an eGPU. If you have the 765m the eGPU will be an improvement, but not what you are likely hoping for. The x16 slot is for the dGPU and it cannot be changed. You only have one mpci-e slot, so you can only do x1 2.0, and even that requires having no wifi card. You will need to use nando4's setup program to disable the dGPU for optimus to run since Clevo systems lack a BIOS option to disable the dGPU. With the performance hit of x1 there will be some games that run better on the 860m than if you were running an eGPU 980, although there would be some where the 980 does win significantly.

@Khenglish

According to Oculus:

"GPUs below Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series are not supported. In addition, laptops typically are not supported well or at all (especially if they include Nvidia Optimus or AMD Switchable Graphics)."

So i'll need a desktop graphics card anyways.

How would a "EVGA GF GTX 750TI SC 2GB DDR5 PCI-E" perform with 1x 2.0?

Similar to the performance of my current 860m?

Any other cards i should get instead? (i can buy used too)

Thanks so much for your help. :cupcake:

On 2/27/2016 at 5:21 PM, oldfashioned said:

Hello Gents!

The new Street Fighter game is out and I need to rise up to the challenge. As the game-play is locked to 60 fps, the min. "desktop" requirement is GTX 480. What eGPU combo would you recommend to match that on my Lenovo W530 w/ quadro K2000? Ideally this performance should be attainable on internal display and be as stable and practical as possible.

I was thinking EXP GDC Beast V8 via EC along with a GTX 660 or 750ti? Or is it better to go wih a PE4L, PE4C, for stability reasons as nando recommended in one post (might not be still the case for V8 Beast).

Thanks a lot and keep up the awesome work!

-of

Hey Guys,

can somebody please tell me how much loss of performance am I looking at with my w530 lenovo egpu setup compared to desktop if any? I would like to know for external as well as internal monitor. I just cannot figure it out from the guide myself?

Thanks.

i have known that its possible for years but not actually invested time into research 

until know,  

i have a macbook pro retina 15" 2012 

standard setup

8 gb

i7

so on

i want to use the thunderbolt 2 & a pe4h/L pcie board 

but i don't understand anything yet, or atleast i dont know enough to start buying parts and building.

what the maxium card i can get before you max the bandwith,

is pci 3 better than 2 or 1, 

the bplus boards dont have thunderbolt, how do i use thunderbolt with it

so on

i have a mac but if it works better im willing to boot windows.

i know so far it have been pretty sparce with details but its 7am and i havent slept so 

gd night,

thanks for reading i hope my rambling nonsense was coherent enough for you to device a response to my questions.

• 3 months later...

Hi, this is my first post in this forum so i hope it's in the right place :)

I want to get an egpu set up going and here are the parts i want to get

Nvidia GTX 970 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOP536Y

EXP GDC Beast v8 - http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html

and a psu - still not decided.

The Beast will be attached via Mini PCI-E.

My Laptop specs are:

Intel Core i7 3667u/HM77 @ 2.0GHz and up to 3.1GHz with turbo boost.

Intel HD 400 

8GB RAM

500GB SDD

1TB HDD

I Will be attaching the GTX 970 to my 1080p BENQ monitor.

So my question is: Is this set up reasonable? How high will the performance loss be? And will i need any extra software or hardware? And how could this be improved?

Thanks

Edited by hamzaom675
Added extra infos

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums (and eGPUs).  This place is a wealth of information!

I have an E6230 w/ an i7 (3520M) and 16gb of RAM.  I also have an old PC that I am retiring.  It has a Q6600 core 2 quad, 8gb of RAM, and a GTX670.  The 670 is the newest part in the machine, the rest is beyond old and very power hungry.  I've just discovered eGPUs and it sounds like a perfect fit for me.  My laptop has a decent processor, plenty of RAM, and a expresscard slot.  Plus, I have a GTX670, an ATX power supply, and a monitor just going to waste since I've retired the desktop and only use my laptop.  I'd like to play a few PC games that I can't play on my PS4.

So now for the advice.  I'm currently thinking that I should buy the PE4C-EC060A V3.0.  If I end up using it enough, I can look into a box for it and maybe a Dell D220P AC adapter to eliminate the ATX PSU and make everything lighter/smaller.

Other than the PE4C, is there anything else I'll need to purchase?  Is there any special configuration other than plugging it all in?  BIOS settings, software installations other than drivers/nVidia software, etc?  I tried to research this and found a couple threads (one for the E6230, one for an E6430 which is very similar hardware-wise), but some of the terminology is above my head (DSDT? TOLUD? what?).  Where is the best place to purchase the adapter?  Straight from BPlus, from Amazon, eBay, or somewhere else?  The cheaper the better but I'll pay a little more if it's more reliable/safe.

Any other advice in general about setting up or using an eGPU?  Do you think my i7-3520M, 16gb DDR3, GTX670 eGPU will outperform a Q6600, 8gb DDR2, GTX670?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Stonehenge
forgot something

Hello people!

It's my first post and probably has already been answered, but I curently live in a place where I can get a gpu basically tax free and am in a bit of a hurry with the purchase.

So...I have a toshiba satellite with an i7 3630qm (4 cores up to  3.4 GHz) and 12gb of ram. I have a free mPCIe since I dont use the internal wifi card. Are there any common problems with toshibas? I want something just so I can ocasionally play current games. The internal gpu (7670m) doesn't cut it anymore. What would be a good choice for a gpu so that it won't be bottlenecked by other components and powerfull enough to play on high settings on a 1366x768 screen ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Kirer

http://www.banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html

Already answered on the banggood page for EXP GDC.

Buy multiple-generation-ago products from local classifieds. They can be up to an entire order of magnitude cheaper compared to their release price and offer competitive performance in the $50-$150 range.

Hello,

About to set up my first eGPU but before I do so I have a couple questions.

I have been following the eGPU forums for a couple weeks now and I decided to take the dive and build one myself.

A little bit about me, I am a professional digital artist and I am starting to use the Octane render engine but I need more GPU power to do so. I am not a gamer, the eGPU is solely for rendering.

This is what I currently have for my work computer:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

As you can see, pretty weak graphics, especially for using a GPU renderer like Octane.

This is what I have currently sitting on my desk still shrink wrapped in boxes for my eGPU build:

Apple Thunderbolt Cable 2.0m

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Ti 6GB GDDR5

be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750W PSU

Akitio Thunderbolt2 PCIe Expansion Box

Powered Riser Cable 16X PCI-E

1. Question: Is there anything I am missing as far as hardware?

2. Question: As far as I understand, my GTX 980 Ti has a 8 pin (max150W) and a 6 pin (max 75W), which if I utilize both pin sets would get me to 225W correct? But doesn't the graphic card need 250W to run at full speed? Is this a dumb question?

3. Question: Would any of you have done this differently with the hardware?

I really appreciate any input, suggestions or constructive criticism. This is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by burrlin

15 minutes ago, burrlin said:

GTX 980 Ti has a 8 pin (max150W) and a 6 pin (max 75W), which if I utilize both pin sets would get me to 225W correct? But doesn't the graphic card need 250W to run at full speed? Is this a dumb question?

This is a dumb question. The card is manufactured as it is. There is no reason for a manufacturer to make a card that doesn't work. If I applied your logic to the GTX 750 or any lower-end card, then it would imply that those cards require 0W to function since they have no power connectors.

Edited by Arbystrider

16 minutes ago, Arbystrider said:

If I applied your logic to the GTX 750 or any lower-end card, then it would imply that those cards require 0W to function since they have no power connectors.

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to "apply any logic," I am just trying to understand how this all works. You have to understand, I am a software person, not a hardware person. This is all new to me and I am just trying to make good decisions and understand why those decisions are good.

I have never built a PC or ever connected PCI cables to anything before. I have always bought Apple computers, plugged them in to the wall and started with my work.

6/8-Pin can only be used as an indicator. Mostly the cards are limited in their BIOS to use much less power, than it would be possible with the 6/8-Pin plugs.

Also, the card can draw 75W through the PCIe slot!

1 hour ago, angelo1987 said:
1 hour ago, angelo1987 said:

my clevo p751dm has a mxm 3.0b port, and also a tb3 (USB 3.1 Gen2 / ThunderboltTM 3 combo port ( Type-C) )

what is the best egpu in tb3 o egpu on mxm?

my clevo p751dm has a mxm 3.0b port, and also a tb3 (USB 3.1 Gen2 / ThunderboltTM 3 combo port ( Type-C) )

what is the best egpu in tb3 o egpu on mxm?

Wait for gigabyte or powercolor TB3 enclosure. I think this enclosures more cheap than razer core.

power color :

Gigabyte has two option :

http://www.jagatreview.com/2016/06/gigabyte-perkenalkan-dua-enclosure-graphic-eksternal-dengan-thunderbolt-3/

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, gharimanto said:

Wait for gigabyte or powercolor TB3 enclosure. I think this enclosures more cheap than razer core.

power color :

Gigabyte has two option :

http://www.jagatreview.com/2016/06/gigabyte-perkenalkan-dua-enclosure-graphic-eksternal-dengan-thunderbolt-3/

do you know this adaptor? could it usefull for my case?

Hello everyone,

I would like to validate with your expertise the setup I would like to buy.

I have an Asus N76VZ with:

- Intel I7

- 8 Go of DDR3

- Nvidia Geforce GT650M

- Intel HD 4000

- Windows 10

Setup for eGPU :

- PE4C 3.0 with mPCIe

- Power Supply 550W

For the GPU I would like to know what would fit the best between GTX 970 or 980 ?

Any major problem I could face ?

Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.