I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

I have a clevo W110er+eGPU+960 G1 (2GB version) and here you can see the performance in BF4:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/10305-11-clevo-w110er-gtx960%404gbps-mpcie-exp-gdc-beast-win7-64-%5Btimilllo%5D.html

1. eGPU adapters from HWtools are better than bangood adaptar (EXP GDC BEAST) but HWtools adapts cost me about 100€ (50+50duties&taxes) and it was cheaper the EXP GDC BEAST (42€). In my case, it runs pretty well.

2.Don't understand what are you asking for

3. mPCIE eGPU runs the 80-85% desktop performance. For example the gigabyte 960 G1 in 3dmark11 the desktop version scores 11000points. In my case, with eGPU in my pc the gigabyte 960 G1 scores 8200points. The loss is about 25% comparing desktop performance.

If you buy the eGPU adapter, please add bencharmarks results and gameplays please :)

• Thumbs Up 1

2. Using my Laptop as a Desktop PC while having an Asus VG248QE connected via HDMI. The refresh rate is 60Hz max due to the HDMI only supporting >60Hz in 1920x1080. As soon as the egpu is installed i want to switch to DisplayPort or D-DVI. Have you guys experienced higher refresh rates because of an egpu?

There's no effect of an eGPU on the refresh rate of your display. It was limited due to the HDMI just like you wrote. So changing the input from HDMI to DVI or DisplayPort will give you 144 Hz. It doesn't matter though if it's an iGPU, eGPU or a usual graphics card in a desktop. It was limited by the cable in your case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, all!

I've been planning on snagging myself a PE4L + eGPU setup for a while now, and I'm kind of stuck. I've tried to search for some answers, to no avail, so I'm really sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate question.

I'm looking at getting myself a ~200$-ish GeForce card. Of the cards I've been looking at, (Mainly the 960, but some of the 770 deals I've seen are tempting too...), all feature either 2 or 4 gigabytes of dedicated RAM.

My question is, for 1600x900 (Laptop's internal resolution), or possibly 1080p, is going for 4gb of RAM worthwhile? I ask this particularly because I was wondering if the extra room would help alleviate some of the bandwidth bottleneck caused by using a PE4L by allowing more resources to be kept in memory. (I will in all likelihood be using a 1x 2.0 Optimus connection.)

Other question, I suppose, would be if the 960 really has any PE4L-applicable advantage over the 770? All other things being equal, it looks like the 770 tends to benchmark a tad higher in desktops, and for less money in some cases. (Right now I'm staring at a deal on a 2GB 770 for 180$ + shipping.)

Thank you in advance for your help! And thanks to the community in general for maintaining such a great pool of eGPU resources here!

EDIT: Either I accidentally posted in this thread instead of making a new one like I tried to do, (in which case I facepalm and apologise), or I was supposed to post here instead of doing that and had my post moved. (In which case I also facepalm and apologise.)

:55_003:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

My laptop is getting old, but I absolutely ADORE this thing and I'm not ready to move on yet, so I'm thinking about going the eGPU "life support" route.

I'm rocking a Dell Latitude D830 with integrated Intel GMA 965, 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo T7100 (planning on upgrading to T7800 2.6GHz), 3GB of DDR2 RAM (planning on upgrading to 8GB), and I want to use Windows XP, but I'd move to Windows 7 if I absolutely had to. Either way, if I can have XP, I'll be dual booting with 7.

The graphics card of choice is a GTX 690, simply because I want something powerful, but also older so it has drivers for my older operating system that I'm too stubborn to leave behind.

I'd be using an eGPU by plugging it into my spare ExpressCard slot, and potentially my secondary Mini PCI-e slot that lays under the keyboard for higher bandwidth since the ExpressCard slot I believe is an earlier version that isn't too quick (version 1.0 I think). If it's possible to use both slots for extra bandwidth, I might even cut a hole in my case and put a female port for the second connection for a clean setup.

Now, the main question... I keep hearing about this Intel Optimus or nVidia Optimus or whatever but I can't get a straight answer anywhere online whether or not my system supports this. I would guess it would considering that there's a second revision/version of my laptop model that has integrated nVidia Quadro NVS 140M video, which I would suspect would switch between the Intel GMA 965 and that depending on the application. Could that be left over with this model of laptop and come with the graphics card driver?

Is it possible then, that my laptop can use the internal LCD monitor and get video from an external video card, without the use of an external monitor? Will my setup even work at all?

Lastly, what eGPU dock thing do you guys recommend? The EXP GDC Beast looks promising but I'd like an opinion first, and unlike the PE4C V2.1, it only has one connector to ExpressCard/Mini PCI-e or whatever.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks!

Windows 7 x64 (MBR), AKITIO Thunder2, Zotac GTX970, no dGPU.

It works on Windows 8.1 (MBR), but i prefer Windows 7 for some reasons.

PS Finally i got my GFX970 working on Windows7 x64. Thanks to Nando for help.

:Banane50:

Great setup! I need the same solution.

I just got a free Zbook 15 G2 - 4810M + 16GB ram + K1100M + (my own 512 SSD EVO 850)

I need to build an eGPU solution for gaming.

I've been reading a lot of posts and do you agree that this will be best solution:

GPU - I already have 780Ti from my desktop. I hope it works (because I have a K1100M on this Zbook. Or would you propose to get a R9 Nano?)

AKiTio Thunder 2 - or do you recommend other? I can see I can get it in Europe

- AKiTiO @ format.de Distribution GmbH

- https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=4B09-014&APID=263

Power Adapter: I have several 230 / 240W HP laptop adapters here in the office. Can I use one of those?

Power Riser: Is this needed? Why?

Mods: I saw some mods done to AKiTio board. Some simple voltage stability soldering. Is this recommended or should I tune something else?

Windows 7: I could see from hishamkali thread for similar laptop that he couldn't put it working with windows7. I would prefer to keep windows 7 because this is my laptop but company at same time. So, I would prefer to avoid dual boot.

Internal screen: also from hishamkali thread I could see that he had some internal screen benchmarks. I travel a lot and I have a weekend house in some other place. So, does this means I can use this eGPU solution with my own laptop internal screen?

@ Tech Inferno Fan can you also comment here ?

Thanks a lot to everyone

Dear all :85: ,

I need your help and opinion

My current setup:

I own a EVGA Classified SR2 Full Waterblocked chipset, 2x 5620's @ 3.8Ghz, 48GB Ram Ecc (6*8GB diims), Nvidia 780Ti.

This system draws 350W idle mode, but its still much better than todays builds.

My Laptop:

I just got for free a Zbook 15 G2, i7 4810 + HD4600, 16GB Ram, 512 ssd, Nvidia K1100M 2Gb, TB2 port available

Doubt:

SR2 build is the greatest build i've had and done. I also believe that with DX12 CPU usability, i will be able to use that build 2 more years (at least).

However it draws a lot of power, its not portable, and i only use it for gaming. I dont work with virtualization anymore. Its a waste to have such setup off. I only turn it on 1x per week, max.

I also travel a lot and i for example at this moment im out of the country for the next 5 months. Meaning i wont be able to plug-it on at all in the next months.

The company that i work for just gave me a new HP Zbook G2.

I saw that Nando4 and hishamkali had the same laptop and did eGPU builds using TB2 and AkiTio Thunder2.

Question:

Should i sell my home PC and get an AKiTio and use eGPU?

eGPU Project Material:

GPU - re-use 780Ti / or / get R9 Nano?

AKiTio Thunder 2 - or do you recommend other solution? I was planing to get it from these stores

- AKiTiO @ format.de Distribution GmbH

- https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=4B09-014&APID=263

Power: i have several 230 / 240W HP Laptop chargers. Can i use these? Or do you recommend me to use the Dell everyone talks here?

Power Raiser: Is this needed?

Mods: I saw some mods done to AKiTio board. Some simple voltage stability soldering. Is this recommended or should I tune something else?

Windows 7: I could see from hishamkali thread for similar laptop that he couldn't put it working with windows7. I would prefer to keep windows 7 because this is my laptop but company at same time. So, I would prefer to avoid dual boot.

Internal screen: also from hishamkali thread I could see that he had some internal screen benchmarks. I travel a lot and I have a weekend house in some other place. So, does this means I can use this eGPU solution with my own laptop internal screen?

If you were able to survive until here, please leave you comment!

Thank you all.

Ricardo

Hum...

Actually I have a HP power supply of 230W.

But, do we have other solutions to use with Akitio?

For eg., if I want to go with a 980Ti, can I use Akitio ? But I need a PSU? Or do we have power supplies ? Because as stated.. I might need to travel... so.. its better to fit a power supply in the bag instead of a normal PSU.

Any ideas?

So i've had my Egpu adapter v3.0 working for about a month or two now and everything was working perfectly with my MSI R9 380 have a 400w Powersupply and everything was perfect but yesterday I put my computer to sleep and then started playing ps4 moved my hdmi cable from the gpu to my ps4 cause i only have one atm. Then when i went back to use my laptop i had to reset it cause it froze so i hooked the hdmi back to the gpu and reset everything however the GPU did not power like usual. I tried switching sw 1 and sw 2 and none of that works. However when i take out my GPU out of the adapter the adapter will start up like normal, both leds will turn green however when i insert the GPU to the adapter it will switch back to just the red led. I have no idea whats going on anyone run into this before? I haven't updated my laptop or changed anything.

Please help me solve some questions:

Thinking of building an akitio + titan x for my Mac Pro (Late 2013) to be able to play latest games maxed at 1080 on a television.

-Good or bad idea? (Mac currently has 2 D700 6GB cards)

-Does windows 10 recognize the egpu or do I have to do soldering and stuff?

-Is performance lost for using an external solution? (I couldn't find this info elsewhere)

-If the rig is set inside a wooden box, with holes only for the thunderbolt and power, do I need to add external cooling i.e a fan??

thanks

-Good or bad idea? (Mac currently has 2 D700 6GB cards)

Will only work in OSX on an external Monitor directly connected to the IO of the eGPU

-Does windows 10 recognize the egpu or do I have to do soldering and stuff?

I managed to get a GTX980Ti detected on a nMP in Windows 10, but after a reboot I had errors or it was gone...

-Is performance lost for using an external solution? (I couldn't find this info elsewhere)

Due to the limited bandwidth of TB2 there is a performance loss! Check my first build here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7879-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn.html

-If the rig is set inside a wooden box, with holes only for the thunderbolt and power, do I need to add external cooling i.e a fan??

definitely! A Titan X is producing a lot of heat!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone on this forum. I need your opinion. I have a HP notebook with AMD 2.8GHz processor, 6GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD graphics. I want to add an external graphics card to my notebook a GTX 970 with PE4H 2.4 adapter.

Is it compatible egpu with my notebook or only serves to notebooks with Intel processors? Does it serve the GTX 970 in the adapter?

It sounds ignorant questions, but the first time I come to know this.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to your answers :D

Hello everyone, I'm from Argentina. Sorry for my English, I'm using google translator.

I have an DV6875SE laptop its specifications are:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz 2MB Cache

4 GB DDR2

Geoforce 8400GS-M 256MB dedicated

Win8.1 With Media Center x64

HP Pavilion dv6875se Notebook PC - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I am interested in buying PE4C-EC060A V3.0 + GTX 770 + 500W Thermaltake

I do not want to use external monitor.

What I am interested is to use the integrated HP laptop monitor, and with this purchase get better FPS.

Games like Path Of Exile, Tera Online, War Thunder, Word of tanks, and maybe try Batman Arkham Knight?

The idea is to use the Express Card interface laptop. In order to remove and install easily.

You can run this combination? .- Thank you very much to all!

Hola a todos, soy de argentina. Disculpas por mi ingles, yo estoy usando traductor de google.

Dispongo de una portatil DV6875SE sus especificaciones son:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz 2MB Cache

4 GB DDR2

GeoForce 8400GS M 256 MB dedicados

Win8.1 Con Media Center x64

HP Pavilion dv6875se Notebook PC - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Yo estoy interesado en comprar PE4C-EC060A V3.0 + GTX 770 + Thermaltake 500W

Yo no quiero usar monitor externo.

Lo que estoy interesado es poder usar el monitor integrado de la portátil HP, y con esta compra conseguir mejores FPS.

Juegos como Path Of Exile, Tera Online, War Thunder, Word of tanks, y talvez intentar probar batman arkham knight ?

La idea es usar la interfaz Express Card de la portatil. Para poder remover e instalar fácilmente.

Puede funcionar esta combinación ?.- Muchas Gracias a todos!

Hello , Guys , I want to know if my laptop is compatible with an eGPU , Thanks advance

Amazon.com : Asus Q301LA-BHI5T02 13.3 Touch-Screen Vivobook Intel Core i5-4200U 4GB 500GB W8 : Computers & Accessories

There isn't an existing eGPU implementation for your machine but is for a similar one-gen older one at http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/10172-13-asus-zenbook-ux31a-gtx750%404gbps-mpcie2-pe4c-2-1-win8-1-%5Bkaiyoti%5D.html

Please work through http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq.html to maximise success of your eGPU venture.

Hi guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on this $1k+ build - can someone please confirm that this will actually work together?

Planning to use it with rMBP-15" 2014 (GT750M) hooked to external display (currently torn between XR34CKA that is not yet available, xb280hk and XB27HU, leaning towards 34 inch though).

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Silverstone ML07B - System Build - PCPartPicker

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card ($719.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)

Other: Akitio Thunder 2 ($218.00)

Other: 2pcs CCTV video balun 5.5X2.5mm ($2.00)

@Dschijn, @Tech Inferno Fan - sorry for pinging directly - just thought you guys will definitely know the answer.

@Dschijn thanks a lot! super excited to get into eGPU soon.

Hi, I'm not well versed when it comes to building computers but I'm in dire need of faster graphics & I don’t want to upgrade my laptop just yet. I plan on using an eGPU to a LED Backlit Professional IPS LCD Display so I can run color correction software at a manageable speed.

My setup (I Already own)

Computer:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Monitor:

HP Dreamcolor Z24X

eGPU: (Haven’t used it yet just bought it online during a sale)

GEFORCE GTX 770

eGPU Requirements:

-PCI express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot

-One 6-pin & one 8-pin supplementary power connector

-Minimum 600 W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 42A)

The questions I have are as follows:

- What else do I need to make this work?

- Can someone suggest a decent power supply that would work?

- Do I NEED a chassis of some sort or can I make this work without one?

- If I don’t need one, along with what I already have, could the setup listed below work?

1. Express card: Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter & SxS Media Reader

2. Thunderbolt cable

3. Power supply: Anything larger than 600W & has a 6 and 8 pin power connector

4. Adaptor: Bplus PE4L-EC060A : Convert PCI Express 1x add-on Card to ExpressCard slot

Any help, advice, links would be hugely appreciated. I’m at a point where I THINK I know what to buy to make this work but I haven’t been able to find enough evidence online that supports the doubts I am having. Thanks!

@braedenklassen:

You will need:

- AKiTiO Thunder2 (because I am not familiar with an Express card setup)

- Any PSU with the specs you listed

- GPU

- barrel plug mod to power the AKiTiO from the bigger PSU

That setup can be placed "naked" on the table if you can make sure that nothing is moving or damaging it.

Edit:

@reptilianbrain:

That list seems good. But you are missing one important (but controversial) part: a flex riser. Problem would be to get a high quality one to avoid problems:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-Gold-Plated-16x-PCI%252dE-Extension-Shielded-Cable-Riser-%2819cm%29.html

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e/

Hello.

I have a ASUS ROG G73JW 2010 with the following characteristics:

740Q i7 first generation to 1.73GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

Removable internal GTX460M graphics.

Connection available MPCI

External monitor 22 ", my laptop does not have its own screen set, broke and this without her.

I would like to add a EGPU the team and improve the graphic quality of it, but I have some doubts that I can not clarify

1. Is there any objection to putting a EGPU with a GTX 460M removable?

2- AMD or NVIDIA for this notebook? I would like a graph of around 120€ type R7 360 or GTX 750ti, what brand to choose and why?

I know I need the PCI-E x16 adapter MPCI, one external ATX power supply and a graph, but I want to be sure that this will work smoothly on my computer.

Thank you very much, greetings.

I have an old laptop hp dv4 with the following specs:

• Intel core i5-2410M 2.3GHZ
  • 4GB of ram DDR3 (will soon upgrade to 8GB if necessary)

I have a eVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI FTW Edition which I am not using as my desktop "gaming" pc broke.

I was wondering if it is worth the cost using a eGPU solution for my laptop? how will be performance with these specs.

Another annoying aspect to consider is that my mini pcie is found under my keyboard (it's according the manual.... I have not opened it yet to verify if it is really a mini pcie hosting my wifi card).

And my laptop has switchable graphics... not sure if this affects compatibility?

Can someone please answer me ?

1. I have lenovo y500. I tested my laptop with my friend's EGPU setup and it worked for me. My friend had the version before PE4C v3.0 was released. My question whether the new PE4C v3.0 will work for me ?

2. I will be buying a BenQ XL2411z and GTX 970. Will it work using the mpcie way of connecting ?

3. I am going to buy PE4C v3.0 from the following site

PE4C V3.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

I just wanted to know, how do I give the person the address so that he can send me the item ? I can't find a place to fill in my address in the payment page of paypal. Can some one help me ???

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand why my thread got converted into a post in this thread...it will probably get lost within 2 more new posts... so.... I don't know maybe there a assigned users that answer each post in this thread... if yes then it's ok

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.