I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

I'm tried of the limited gaming laptops have to offer, was going to go external GPU with a 970 Geforce.

Here is the model and specs, I want to make sure everything will work.

Toshiba Satellite s55-A

Intel Core i7-47000MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40Hz

8GB RAM

64 OS running windows 8.1

Hi all. I am getting the Thinkpad X230 with SSD, i7-3520M (2.9ghz) and 8GB DDR3. I ordered the PE4C-EC100C V2.1 kit.

The notebook is capable of doing x1.2opt with the expresscard.

I am thinking of getting the GTX 960. I want to play GTA V, so I am thinking it would be wise to get the 4GB model (this should also help most games with the limited bandwidth by keeping more stuff in VRAM, yes?)

Would you guys recommend 2GB or 4GB? Here are the cards I'm considering:

GTX 960 2GB: EVGA 02G-P4-2963-KR GeForce GTX 960 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support ACX 2.0+ Video Card - Newegg.com

GTX 960 4GB: Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Should I also be considering models like the 760 or 660? I am going to be using the 220W 12V adapter to power the card, so I want to keep power consumption low too. This is simply more convenient for me.

Thank you all!

I'm tried of the limited gaming laptops have to offer, was going to go external GPU with a 970 Geforce.

Here is the model and specs, I want to make sure everything will work.

Toshiba Satellite s55-A

Intel Core i7-47000MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40Hz

8GB RAM

64 OS running windows 8.1

Can't see any reason why that wouldn't work as long as you have a place to connect the card on your machine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i have hp pavillion dm4 beats audio

i want to know if i can run a egpu on my laptop ???

i have a insyde bios

version : F.0B

i have a 2 mcie slots one is free and the other has the wifi card in it ......

i want to know is egpu is possible on my laptop using this

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

Hi all,

After reading many posts about EGPUs and the results with older laptops, I'm finally going to try and build my own EGPU for my Lenovo T420. Apparently there's a ton of topics already regarding this particular laptop, so much that I need to ask questions to straighten things out. So to start I'm going to list the specs of my laptop:

Lenovo T420 w/win7

Processor [email protected]

iGPU Intel HD Graphics 3000 + dGPU NVS 4200 with Optimus

16 GB RAM

What I have in mind is to make a EGPU with GTX 960 (on the way) and connect it to the PE4L-EC060A that I'm getting too. PSU-wise I went safe and got myself a 500W ATX-PSU.

Now for the questions:

1. I've read the 100% CPU thread and apparently Tech Inferno Fan explained that the Optimus-equipped T420 will not have memory issues because the eGPU can hijack the dGPU memory allocation. Does this mean my system should be a plug-and-play or do I still have to manually change settings (DSDT, Setup 1.x, uninstall nvidia drivers etc.)?

2. Will I have compatibility issues regarding my setup with GTX 960 and the PCI-Unit PE4L-EC060A? I was trying to find answers but apparently not a lot of people had problems with this unit so I'm just making sure.

3. For now I'm going to use my internal monitor due to budget constraint. Will I have any issues regarding my settings?

If anyone has experience with this unit and could share some infos about it, I'd be grateful and prepare my settings while waiting for my orders to arrive.

I'll also try and make 3dmark benchmarks if this works for me.

Hi so i have an alienware m14x R1 with and intel i7 2670QM, 12GB of ram, and more importantly a Nvidia Geforce GT 555m graphics card(2GB model i believe) Im looking to add a eGPU since the computer is fantastic with the exception of the graphics card that is pre installed. I'm new to the whole eGPU thing but I do have a bit more info that might be useful. I dont have lightning or expresscard, but when looking into my computer it seems that under the battery there is a wireless adapter and what seems to be 2 more pcie slots. I really need some help as to what adapter I should buy, a nice video card for gaming, how to set everything up (youtube doesn't show too much on eGPU's as far as iv'e seen D: ), and possibly an encloser? Thank you soooo much for your help :)

Can a gtx 760 or 680 as e-gpu with a [img]dell xps l502x give the same performance as it would give on desktop pc,with very negligible performance loss or no performance loss?

I have seen on banggood.com my laptop tested with egpu gtx480 using exp gdc with 1or2 fps difference between gtx 480 on desktop and egpu, but I don't know if its true for gtx 760 or 680.

Can anyone tell if gtx 760/680 can give the almost exact same performance with my laptop as it would give on a desktop?

I've searched around the forums a bit and have not found much information on this, other than the fact that almost everyone that has done an EGPU set up used mainly Nvidia GPU's is this due to the card performing better than AMD? I mean this by getting better performance due to being set up as an EGPU not in terms of if one company is better than the other what not. I have an HP ENVY DV6 7300 I5- 3230m @ 2.60 GHz , 12GB RAM, HD 4000 iGPU and have purchased bplus PE4C 3.0 mPCIe + MSI R9 380 4GB gpu, Would I have gotten better performance from a GTX 960? Sorry if this is a "dumb" question since I looked vastly into the subject and decided I was capable of setting up and completing this "project" however I might have messed up in choosing a video card that performed better on a desktop rather than on a eGPU setup. Thank you in advance!

I'm a complete noob to the whole eGPU thing, but I know my way around computers, so I can figure that side out. I have been browsing this site and others to get my bearings, but I'm still a bit lost. I figured I would post here to get some actual human responses to my actual specific situation.

I need to get a setup working on an MSI GT70 with a geforce gtx 980. The gt70 doesn't have an expresscard or thunderbolt, so naturally the option I'm going with is over mpcie, right? Fortunately on this laptop, the mpcie slot is very easily accessable on the top just behind the keyboard.

My situation and reason for getting this is that I just recently purchased a GTX 980 when it was on sale for super cheap. I plan to build a full desktop soon once I get the money, but I would like to set up the egpu to tide me over until then. I have $150 to spend on this, so I can spend that on either $120 monitor which I would need for a desktop build anyway, which leaves a $30 egpu solution. However, if I don't get the monitor, then it would have to have some way of hooking back and using the laptop as a screen, but that would allow me to spend more on the egpu solution.

So what I'm asking is:

Is $30 reasonable for mpcie -> graphics card -> monitor?

and is it possible to do mpcie -> graphics card -> laptop monitor?

I'm no stranger to soldering so a temporary DIY solution isn't too big of an issue, but one of the biggest things I saw was that the pre-built kits come with an AC power adapter, which is something I can't DIY. How much do those cost on their own?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in the forums for a few days trying to absorb some knowledge but I've reached a dead end in my understanding and I need an advice.

With the upcoming release of Fallout 4 in a few months I was looking for a way to enhance my rig. I own a Lenovo T440p with i7 4700MQ, 8GB RAM and Ge730M dGPU with HD4600 iGPU

Adding additional RAM and converting to SSD is a given but as far as the GPU goes I was sure this is not possible in any way.

Looking for some sort of a solution I stumbled upon this site and I'm in shock and awe of the eGPU scene which is something I had no idea exists. KUDOS to everyone involved - I'm really amazed.

I read about the different available eGPU adapters like the EXP GDC and the PE4C and I'm confused about whether any of them will be applicable to my T440p.

I don't have any express-card slot, mPCIe or Thunderbolt. The motherboard seem to have one free 42mm M.2 slot (Keyed A) (usually meant for a WWAN or SSD - but I don't know if thats a PCI-e 3.0/2.0 or...) and one 30mm M.2 with a WiFi/BT card (keyed A)

The only solution I saw that has a NGFF connector is the EXP GDC one but I'm not sure it will work since I haven't seen anyone who tried it yet on this specific rig.

My question is to you guys - will it work, or am I just wasting my time with it? Can you give me any advice before I commit to actually purchasing the hardware?

Hey guys, this eGPU stuff is very exciting! I haven't quite made up my mind as to what setup i want to choose for my late 2013 15 rMBP, and the PSU seems to be the confusing bit.

If ive understood correctly, i can make this setup quite small by getting an akitio thunder2, an nvidia 750ti, and buy a 5 mm 19v 6.3a laptop charger to replace the standard power supply that comes with the akitio? And thats it? Follow the software guide and plug and play?

Or if i choose to go with a gtx 960 i could use an old PSU from a PC i have lying around. But for the molex to barrel thing, could i just cut up the cable that comes with the akitio and twist it around the wires on a molex? Electrical tape it up and again plug and play?

It is a bit daunting to drop 500 euros on something I'm not sure will work :)

1. Please read my guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

2. it is 12V, please don't use 19,5V

3. "use an old PSU…" well, it depends. It should have the required plugs to power the GPU and enough amps on the 12V rail! Don't be "smart" and imagine that a 300W ATX PSU can power a GTX 960, it might not be the case.

A GTX 750 (Ti) can be powered with a 120W 12V PSU (with barrel plug).

A GTX 960 or 970 can be powered by a 220W Dell PSU

Faster cards need desktop PSUs with more than 500W, yes more than 500! Even a GTX 960 should have a desktop PSU with at least 400-450W.

1. Please read my guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

2. it is 12V, please don't use 19,5V

3. "use an old PSU…" well, it depends. It should have the required plugs to power the GPU and enough amps on the 12V rail! Don't be "smart" and imagine that a 300W ATX PSU can power a GTX 960, it might not be the case.

A GTX 750 (Ti) can be powered with a 120W 12V PSU (with barrel plug).

A GTX 960 or 970 can be powered by a 220W Dell PSU

Faster cards need desktop PSUs with more than 500W, yes more than 500! Even a GTX 960 should have a desktop PSU with at least 400-450W.

Isn't the 400W for minimal system power-up if you're using a desktop (for GTX 960)? I agree that you may need more power than the TDP of your graphics card but afaik as an eGPU 300W should be plenty for a GTX 960.

Ok, so i took the simplest option i could find. I ordered a Dell DA-2 charger, i ordered the "ebay" cable for it, and of course the Akitio thunder2.

So it is correct that all i have to do now is plug the ebay cable into the dell PSU, connect the ebay cable to the akitio and the GPU, and it should work without any modifications?

Isn't the 400W for minimal system power-up if you're using a desktop (for GTX 960)? I agree that you may need more power than the TDP of your graphics card but afaik as an eGPU 300W should be plenty for a GTX 960.

In theory, yes. But that is misleading! E.g. a 300W has, best case, 1x6-Pin PCIe plug but most of them don't. Also the 12V rails on the 300W PSU are much weaker on the amps and can't provide the full 300W on that. A big portion will be on the 24-Pin ATX cable. So you might be able to get the 300W when combining ALL the different 12V sources on the PSU. Furthermore are the modern GPUs changing the power consumtion extremly quick and to very high peaks, which might be too much for such a PSU.

Yes, the high wattage is good for complete PCs, but I am recommending them to avoid problems and assure that people are getting their system stable.

Ok, so i took the simplest option i could find. I ordered a Dell DA-2 charger, i ordered the "ebay" cable for it, and of course the Akitio thunder2.

So it is correct that all i have to do now is plug the ebay cable into the dell PSU, connect the ebay cable to the akitio and the GPU, and it should work without any modifications?

Which 15" MBP is it? Does it have a dGPU? Which GPU you wanna get? Did you read my guide and understood which cards fit and which plugs on the card are required?! What kind of best case scenario are you expecting?

1 - Its a late 2013 15 inch MBP

2 - it doesnt have a dGPU thankfully

3 - The parts i ordered are from overseas, but the graphics card will be bought locally so i still have some time. I think i will choose a small sized gtx 960 that will fit in the case.

This looks like a good match http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5369#ov

4 - Im pretty sure i understood your guide, i need a gfx with one or two 6 pin 12v plugs

5 - best case scenario i can enjoy smooth high resolution gaming on my windows partition!

The Gigabyte is too wide and you will not be able to close the case!

Best performance will be on an external display that you connect to the GPU of the eGPU. To have eGPU performance on the internal display might be a bit more difficult, but it's possible.

Ah yes thats true, it is too wide. I found a EVGA 960 OC with one fan that you recommended, that should fit with the case closed. It will be interesting to see the temperatures i get, maybe i will have to drill some holes!

I have an external monitor, so that wont be a problem. Im going to set up the internal screen mode for the windows partition, but am i correct in that there is no current way to use the eGPU to power the internal screen when running OS X?

I have an external monitor, so that wont be a problem. Im going to set up the internal screen mode for the windows partition, but am i correct in that there is no current way to use the eGPU to power the internal screen when running OS X?

You can drag windowed 3d games from an external display to the internal, but can't switch to fullscreen. Rendering programs can utilise the eGPU.

But in general you are right, there is no way to power the internal display directly or in an comfortable way.

I want to build a eGPU system with my Macbook air (2014,i5,4GB) ,so I need to buy

1.GTX 970 msi gaming 4G

2.Dell 2-DA

3.8pin adaptor( 20$ from ebay)

4.Akitio

And my questions are:

1.Would TB1 be the bottleneck of GTX970?

2.Is Dell 2-DA enough for GTX970 and Akitio even if overclocked?

3.With my low-voltage i5 processor, how many game I can play? As far as I know, it cann't run GTA V or SC2. That's, how many games requires a strong CPU? Most of the games? Are there a list or something about it ?

I want to build a eGPU system with my Macbook air (2014,i5,4GB) ,so I need to buy

1.GTX 970 msi gaming 4G

2.Dell 2-DA

3.8pin adaptor( 20$ from ebay)

4.Akitio

And my questions are:

1.Would TB1 be the bottleneck of GTX970?

2.Is Dell 2-DA enough for GTX970 and Akitio even if overclocked?

3.With my low-voltage i5 processor, how many game I can play? As far as I know, it cann't run GTA V or SC2. That's, how many games requires a strong CPU? Most of the games? Are there a list or something about it ?

After testing with my same MBA, I think the eGPU is still worthwhile for gaming on this laptop. I'm sure there will be bottlenecks with some modern games, but overall I was able to play Tomb Raider at max settings at 1080p with perfectly acceptable frame rates for an extended period of time. I tested also batman AK at max settings with decent FPS and HoTS at extreme settings which seemed fine.

Hi I have a few questions about this adapter

I am interested in picking one up for my laptop

Sager NP-5165 aka Clevo W150HRQ

i7-2630QM 2.0 (soon to be i7-2860QM 2.5)

16GB 1333 DDR3 (soon to be 1600)

Nvidia GT 555m 2GB/Intel HD 3000

Although my laptop does have a gpu it is quite dated, would I yield significant performance increases from an egpu even though it is bottlenecked at the mpcie?

my laptop does not have a EC slot, only one mpcie, will that be fine or is that less than ideal?

which adapter should I be considering? the EXP GDC V7 or the PE4C V3.0?

From what I've briefly gathered the GTX 680 seems to be the go to card for this kinda adapter. is this the case or is there another card I should consider?

Which card would yield the best performance? ati or nvidia?

I briefly read that nvidia allows for use of the laptop monitor where as ati doesnt, is this still true?

I briefly read that ati cards can use something called "gen2" while nvidia cannot, does this mean ati is a better card for this? or am i mistaken

any information would be greatly appreciated, as soon as i feel like i have a solid grasp on this i would gladly order the parts :]

Hey guys,

i really want to upgrade my Y580 with an egpu, but there are some questions i could not find any answer to. I hope you guys can help me with that.

1. I'm planning to use a GTX-960 (4GB) as eGPU. Which adapter performs the best with my mPCIe-slot? I thought about getting the PE4C-PM060A V3.0 from HWtools because it features the PCI-Version of my Y580.

2. Using my Laptop as a Desktop PC while having an Asus VG248QE connected via HDMI. The refresh rate is 60Hz max due to the HDMI only supporting >60Hz in 1920x1080. As soon as the egpu is installed i want to switch to DisplayPort or D-DVI. Have you guys experienced higher refresh rates because of an egpu?

3. Do you think that i will be able to use the whole power of the GTX960 or is it better to get a cheaper card? I mostly play FPS (ex: BF4).

I really hope you can help me because i don't want to buy a new PC only for gaming purposes. In my opinion the Y580 is a good equipped notebook, the only thing throtteling the gaming performance is the GTX660m.

I already installed the unlocked BIOS, overclocked the GPU, repasted the CPU/GPU (temps are now not exceeding 70°C), bought a cooling pad, installed a SSD and upgraded my RAM to 16GB.

Thats it for now - regards from northern germany.

haze

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.