A1286 Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) eGPU options

Granty

Hi guys, I am new to the forum but have read many of the interesting posts about Apple eGPU projects. I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro (A1286) and came across Dschijn's youtube video about his project, which then lead me to Techinferno. I have looked into the Akitio box some more and it appears to be the best option for using a Macbook Pro with a modern graphics card for gaming.

I live in the UK and it is difficult to find resellers here that aren't overpriced. The cheapest I can find is from a company in Essex called 'Equip' and their price is £246.00 + delivery £6.00. I see in the USA it costs $219.00 (£167.19) from Amazon.com. Unfortunately Amazon.com won't ship to the UK and Amazon.co.uk don't stock them at all.

The option I found in the UK is quite expensive, so I have looked for another possible solution and I found the [MAC Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock  from Banggood (China). This costs around £45.00 and appears to be Mac compatible and connects through the wifi port (I use Ethernet anyway). I have found videos on projects using this V8.0 Beast with PC laptops but haven't found anything at all with Apple Macs. Does this mean it isn't really compatible? Has anybody on this forum looked into this as a solution to add an eGPU? Or is my only option to pay for the overpriced Akitio Thunder2 from Equip. 

31e5f55b-5dff-4d72-9e3b-add406e7f526.jpg

I am keen to hear your thoughts and opinions as to whether the V8.0 Beast will work or whether I should go the Akitio route instead. 

Thanks for reading.

Just go with Akitio. It's the best performance per price in the market and many support from this website. I ordered two from Amazon and eBay both are from US and shipped them to Asia both prices are about $300 include shipping.

Thanks for the reply errin!
I've been looking regularly ebay and I got lucky as I found an Akito Thunder2 PCIe box for just £140.00, it's only 5 months old (it just arrived today).
Next I need to buy a GTX1060 and research which PSU to use and then figure out how to put it all together - should be fun! :w00t: