Jump to content
Prema

[POLL] PASCAL MXM GPU UPGRADES

Recommended Posts

According to Clevo and Nvidia HQ only 1% of their user base cares about upgrading GPUs on mobile systems, so...

 

If you already own a recent MXM (III/v3.1) system or plan on purchasing a so called upgrade-able system, here is your chance to have your voice heard!

 

 

 

>>> VOTE HERE <<<

 

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can't figure out why nvidia abandoned mxm reference designs. They're the ones that invented it and put so much time into it only to screw everyone at the end of it. I guess they figured it was cheaper to shift the cost of maintaining a reference design to large AIB like MSI and Clevo rather than themselves. Unfortunately the notebook makers aren't known for agreeing on standards like desktop makers are and now a lot of people are screwed.

 

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I honestly can't figure out why nvidia abandoned mxm reference designs. They're the ones that invented it and put so much time into it only to screw everyone at the end of it. I guess they figured it was cheaper to shift the cost of maintaining a reference design to large AIB like MSI and Clevo rather than themselves. Unfortunately the notebook makers aren't known for agreeing on standards like desktop makers are and now a lot of people are screwed.

 

What I don't understand is, why make a new design? Like why didn't Clevo and MSI decide to keep using the mxm 3.0(b) design and just add a power connector or something? They definitely seem like they are still allowed to use mxm 3.0b since the MSI 1060 is mxm 3.0b it seems. 

 

@Khenglish has shown us that the mxm 3.0b design can handle a GTX 980 core even with desktop 970 memory chips so they could have used mxm 3.0b for 1060/1070 etc and maybe only use the bigger design for 1080. Instead Clevo decided to go custom for all new cards.

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know enough about the board power requirements to know why they aren't exactly following the old standard though I'm sure khenglish or prema might. Regardless it does suck for existing power users and my suggestion to them would be to eBay their current ones and grab a new one.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The M5500 proves that we can have 150w TDP cards without external power and in mxm 3.0b format so it is definitely interesting why things went this way. 

 

 

M5500_REFERENCE.jpg.c784af717b2b7fbb8e75032f70ac2d24.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only logical answer is we got Alienware'd by Clevo. They saw their chance to screw us and took advantage of it. As far as NVIDIA goes and no longer supporting MXM, those crooked bastards have been screwing us for years and the only reason I think they can get away with it is we put up with it because the only available alternative (AMD) is unacceptable.

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AMD has a chance now for a comeback. If they can get RX480 into mxm 3.0b that'd be great. There's no way they're getting any other card but at least RX480 would give us desktop 980 performance and if we get two we'd have SLI 980 performance. All of their higher end cards (Fury) use HBM so we'd need some new reference design to accommodate HBM. 

 

I think AMD is done for in the mobile market, they can't even keep up in desktops. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I think the only logical answer is we got Alienware'd by Clevo. They saw their chance to screw us and took advantage of it. As far as NVIDIA goes and no longer supporting MXM, those crooked bastards have been screwing us for years and the only reason I think they can get away with it is we put up with it because the only available alternative (AMD) is unacceptable.

 

Yes unfortunately Always Manages to Disappoint (AMD) is absent in the notebook performance space and will continue to be seeing how Polaris 11 is low tier trash. Even Zen will be for servers and desktops first before they make an APU design. So I don't have any faith in AMD at all and neither should any other reasonable person. I've been accused of being nvidia biased but the truth is I knew a long time ago AMD simply could not compete. 

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brian said:

 

Yes unfortunately Always Manages to Disappoint (AMD) is absent in the notebook performance space and will continue to be seeing how Polaris 11 is low tier trash. Even Zen will be for servers and desktops first before they make an APU design. So I don't have any faith in AMD at all and neither should any other reasonable person. I've been accused of being nvidia biased but the truth is I knew a long time ago AMD simply could not compete. 

I think you're right. Nothing wrong with being biased when you're right. AMD hate is something they have earned and it is justified based on their long-term demonstration of incompetence. It's probably completely accurate to say that you're not NVIDIA biased as much as anti-shit biased. I will probably always cheer for the underdogs and wish for better times with competition driving quality and performance to higher levels, but I won't give them any money unless they produce something compelling and superior. Anyone that wouldn't love to see NVIDIA take a hammer to the face is just a panty-waisted fanboy. Anyone that believes AMD is capable of doing so is an optimist. Anyone that believe AMD actually will is living in a dream world. They won't because they don't care and haven't tried hard enough. AMD is not serious about these things. They cater to value shoppers with doobie-smoking Walmart stock-boy IQs. NVIDIA, on the other hand, is in it to win it.

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated OP with the numbers that the 'big guys' based their recent decisions on.

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Prema said:

Updated OP with the numbers that the 'big guys' based their recent decisions on.

Either their numbers are way off, or 99% of their customers are blithering idiots. This causes me to have despair about the future because if those numbers are accurate, this is not the last time customers will get screwed by Clevo making changes on a whim. If you told me 1% of all notebook gamer-boys I might believe it. I find it hard to believe that 99% of the people that buy Clevos don't care about GPU upgrades. Either way, it's a sad statement about the stupidity of most human beings.

  • Thumbs Up 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that it maybe the result of the end-user being uninformed about even having a potential upgrade option.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Prema said:

I feel that it maybe the result of the end-user being uninformed about even having a potential upgrade option.

It's possible consumer ignorance played a role in producing flawed data, but if the decision makers at Clevo lack the basic intelligence to make sense of data and use it to guide them in making intelligent decisions we're still all screwed. It flies in the face of the fact they used desktop CPUs. If 1% cared about GPU upgrades, even fewer than 1% would care about having a good CPU. Ask just about any BGA gaming shitbook fanboy and they'll be very bold in telling you that they don't care about having a good CPU.

 

Now, 1% of all notebook owners, yes... I could definitely believe that because being an idiot is the norm. That's the only reason why BGA turdbooks exist. There is no shortage of stupid. But, 99% of all Clevo owners being retarded seems like a stretch. If it is true, then we're all screwed because stupidity en masse is almost always fatal.

 

Ultimately, this will be their loss. My budget for disposable BGA filth and garbage that cannot be upgraded is capped at less than $500. Any notebook that cannot be upgraded for at least 3 generations of GPU releases is a worthless piece of trash and I will not waste my money on this filth. They can bend way over and kiss my gluteus maximus.

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1% i would have also accept the idea for every manufacturer but clevo... i'm a clevo buyer from P170hm era because off the upgrade possibilities. I've promoted Clevo every time i could. But seems that time is over.

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, haiwepa said:

1% i would have also accept the idea for every manufacturer but clevo... i'm a clevo buyer from P170hm era because off the upgrade possibilities. I've promoted Clevo every time i could. But seems that time is over.

Those are also a good example of awesome comments to post on the same page with the poll results. Thank you.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done. 

Im just feeling weird after spending so much on a system that was supposed to be upgrade able without too many issues. Though yes, its a bit too early to draw any conclusions, without all the parts being easily available, hence the feeling weird part. 

Im going to keep the system though, not going to sell it at a loss, this system wont sell for anything more than $2500 tbh. Maybe more if someone is lucky enough, but im not willing to loose any money on system that isn't even 6 months old. 

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the current snapshot, it looks like our numbers do not jibe with theirs. Maybe they asked the wrong people to get the answer they were looking for. Works for Hillary polls to make her look good, so Clevo might as well do it the same way.

 

Anyhow, it looks like the 1% refers to those that would prefer to waste money replacing a perfectly good machine with a new one instead of a simple and affordable GPU upgrade. This is encouraging. It shows us that a statistically irrelevant portion of the people answering our poll questions are stupid.

DhPeCyk.jpg

 

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, haiwepa said:

1% i would have also accept the idea for every manufacturer but clevo... i'm a clevo buyer from P170hm era because off the upgrade possibilities. I've promoted Clevo every time i could. But seems that time is over.

Exactly like me.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very disgusting what's happening to the computer industry. We have one company controlling GPUs, other controlling CPUs, and OEMs who's only wish is cutting costs and filling their pockets.
I won't hold my breath for AMD either, It's a lost cause brothers. Lost cause indeed. (4870x2 was my last AMD product, it performed great,  doubling the  E bill and almost setting the house on fire )
I SAY LET IT ROT/RUST. 
Desktop is the to go, until they start forcing BGA down our necks, and ditching standard/reference designs and extesnions.
@Mr. Fox @J95 @ssj92 @Prema & other mates. My condolences guys, it's an outrage owning an ultra expensive machine that lost it's potential in less than a few months.  

  • Thumbs Up 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Solo wing said:

It's very disgusting what's happening to the computer industry. We have one company controlling GPUs, other controlling CPUs, and OEMs who's only wish is cutting costs and filling their pockets.
I won't hold my breath for AMD either, It's a lost cause brothers. Lost cause indeed. (4870x2 was my last AMD product, it performed great,  doubling the  E bill and almost setting the house on fire )
I SAY LET IT ROT/RUST. 
Desktop is the to go, until they start forcing BGA down our necks, and ditching standard/reference designs and extesnions.
@Mr. Fox @J95 @ssj92 @Prema & other mates. My condolences guys, it's an outrage owning an ultra expensive machine that lost it's potential in less than a few months.  

I agree... they sold like hotcakes right until the very end, never batting an eye about the customers they were screwing or the Clevo resellers and Sager dealers whose livelihoods and reputations they were discounting. To make this right they would need to either recall all P870DM-G or offer free DYI motherboard and heat sink kits to those that want to upgrade to 1080 SLI. This needs to come out of their pockets, not ours. We already emptied our pockets and they took our money. I don't think they need to give away free GPUs, just fix their bad engineering decision and make the wrong things right.

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could also find a way to satisfy us by making a separate upgrade kit/heatsinks for our machines. Similar to 180W 980 SLI PCBs but I doubt ANY of the things we mentioned will happen. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, this is why I think in the long term e-GPU is a good thing for notebooks. You can buy a notebook w/a kick ass CPU in it equipped with an integrated GPU and then just dock it to an external GPU that is better than any MXM class card you could install in your system. The advantages are:

 

1. eGPU is cheaper and upgradeable 

2. eGPU is a full desktop card and will run cooler than an MXM solution

3. Your notebook will likely be thinner and much lighter

4. You aren't tied to a single brand of notebook

5. Your notebook won't sound like a jet engine

6. Notebook won't be hot as a furnace and roast your balls

 

Yeah the e-GPU is an external solution but come on let's be real here for a minute, many of you with these beastly rigs have 2 x 330W PSUs hooked up to them which are enormous. Those would also be eliminated as you'd have a small compact PSU for the notebook and one for the e-GPU. If you travel you may have to lug an extra piece of equipment around but that's not really a big deal considering these "notebooks" aren't exactly travel friendly in the first place. Personally, as a enthusiast, I want a thin profile notebook w/a desktop CPU in it and 120 Hz IPS display that has TB3 which is compatible with any eGPU I connect to it, I think that is the real future of laptop gaming.

  • Thumbs Up 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brian said:

Honestly, this is why I think in the long term e-GPU is a good thing for notebooks. You can buy a notebook w/a kick ass CPU in it equipped with an integrated GPU and then just dock it to an external GPU that is better than any MXM class card you could install in your system. The advantages are:

 

1. eGPU is cheaper and upgradeable 

2. eGPU is a full desktop card and will run cooler than an MXM solution

3. Your notebook will likely be thinner and much lighter

4. You aren't tied to a single brand of notebook

5. Your notebook won't sound like a jet engine

6. Notebook won't be hot as a furnace and roast your balls

 

Yeah the e-GPU is an external solution but come on let's be real here for a minute, many of you with these beastly rigs have 2 x 330W PSUs hooked up to them which are enormous. Those would also be eliminated as you'd have a small compact PSU for the notebook and one for the e-GPU. If you travel you may have to lug an extra piece of equipment around but that's not really a big deal considering these "notebooks" aren't exactly travel friendly in the first place. Personally, as a enthusiast, I want a thin profile notebook w/a desktop CPU in it and 120 Hz IPS display that has TB3 which is compatible with any eGPU I connect to it, I think that is the real future of laptop gaming.

I mostly agree... I definitely don't want the thin and light crap or integrated GPU part because that reminds me too much of an anemic turdbook, but having an eGPU on a TB3 port will be awesome. That way you can start with a healthy monster GPU like the 200W GTX 980 and not be stuck there due to circumstances beyond your control... never at the mercy of an OEM again, or a victim of their failure to deliver. There's nothing to not like about that. I love the bulk and weight, including the dual 330W setup. It's just part of the shock and awe factor that can be used to taunt the turdbook jockeys and their pathetic shitbooks. I'd prefer than the Intel Graphics crap stay disabled. Ideally, a CPU that does not even have that would be utilized. It's a waste of silicon on a high performance beast.

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.