[POLL] PASCAL MXM GPU UPGRADES

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

Good catch @tanzmiester :) That's really weird. I have never seen anything like that on a MXM card before.

i know in gt72vr there is no such wire on 1070 gtx,

that picture with the wire came from "upgradeyourlaptop" at ebay and also can be seen in the Eurocom upgrade video

1 hour ago, tanzmiester said:

i know in gt72vr there is no such wire on 1070 gtx,

that picture with the wire came from "upgradeyourlaptop" at ebay and also can be seen in the Eurocom upgrade video

In that case it is probably what @bloodhawk suggested... meaning some kind of a workaround to the stupid Clevo EC signal thing. I bet it is some kind of jumper wire to let the card power up even though it is not a Clevo GPU. I don't know why they did that, but it sure wasn't a very customer-centric move. Stuff like this is really irksome and extremely naughty.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

In that case it is probably what @bloodhawk suggested... meaning some kind of a workaround to the stupid Clevo EC signal thing. I bet it is some kind of jumper wire to let the card power up even though it is not a Clevo GPU. I don't know why they did that, but it sure wasn't a very customer-centric move. Stuff like this is really irksome and extremely naughty.

Easy profits, being the first and only supplier of modded 1070's for the P870DM.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bloodhawk said:

Easy profits, being the first and only supplier of modded 1070's for the P870DM.

I was not referring to Eurocom adding the wire to make an MSI GPU work in a Clevo in a negative way. I'm actually glad they know how to do that and that's great if it works. I was being critical of Clevo about their doing the stupid EC signal thing in the first place.

Is it something in Clevo's firmware (BIOS) or is this something in MSI AND Clevo's vBIOS on their new cards though? 

I think this was a new thing with Pascal cards and Maxwell didn't need anything like this, so it could just be with the newer Clevo and MSI pascal cards. 

I'm pretty sure it is nothing but a new way of shafting customers with proprietary technology. So, if Eurocom figured out a way to give 'em the nasty finger, and using whatever GPU they feel like using in a Clevo, then more power to them.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I was not referring to Eurocom adding the wire to make an MSI GPU work in a Clevo in a negative way. I'm actually glad they know how to do that and that's great if it works. I was being critical of Clevo about their doing the stupid EC signal thing in the first place.

Ah, my bad. 

But the EC thing has been there on the 980's as well. Only thing is that it already comes with the hard mod. 

I'm guessing GPU Boost 3.0 is the culprit here. Since the cards need access to full thermals and system cooling.

1 hour ago, bloodhawk said:

Ah, my bad. 

But the EC thing has been there on the 980's as well. Only thing is that it already comes with the hard mod. 

I'm guessing GPU Boost 3.0 is the culprit here. Since the cards need access to full thermals and system cooling.

I ran 880M SLI for a day or two in the P870DM-G and it worked fine, so I am thinking that the EC crap must not apply to pre-Pascal GPUs. I hope Brother @Prema can strip all that silly crap out of the vBIOS so Pascal doesn't need to do anything except follow orders and do whatever we tell it to. I really don't care for dynamic clocking BS and never have... really stupid when hardware is allowed to make decisions instead of explicitly obeying orders.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I ran 880M SLI for a day or two in the P870DM-G and it worked fine, so I am thinking that the EC crap must not apply to pre-Pascal GPUs. I hope Brother @Prema can strip all that silly crap out of the vBIOS so Pascal doesn't need to do anything except follow orders and do whatever we tell it to. I really don't care for dynamic clocking BS and never have... really stupid when hardware is allowed to make decisions instead of explicitly obeying orders.

Im not sure he can get rid of it , since it probably needs access to the EC for proper monitoring and "throttling" :P

But @Prema is a magician :D 

@Prema, do you know why that wire is needed?

That's the loop to fool the vBIOS that an EC signal is present...wonder who told them that. ;)

Im not sure he can get rid of it , since it probably needs access to the EC for proper monitoring and "throttling" [emoji14]

But @Prema is a magician [emoji3] 

Your own P870DM is running on my modded EC, otherwise it would throttle like no tomorrow. ;)

3 minutes ago, Prema said:

That's the loop to fool the vBIOS that an EC signal is present...wonder who told them that. ;)

Your own P870DM is running on my modded EC, otherwise it would throttle like no tomorrow. ;)

@Prema, so it's impossible to ran this 1070 gpu in Clevo without that hardmod? even with Premamod?

Edited by tanzmiester

@Prema, so it's impossible to ran this 1070 gpu in Clevo without that hardmod? even with Premamod?

This model GPU won't boot on any system without the wire...unless a different revision comes along.

30 minutes ago, Prema said:

Oh yeah, it would. I meant the Pascal nature of cards. 

Oh yeah, it would. I meant the Pascal nature of cards. 

Yeah, nowadays they have various stages of throttle in BIOS, EC & vBIOS...that just being the hardware side.

24 minutes ago, Prema said:

Yeah, nowadays they have various stages of throttle in BIOS, EC & vBIOS...that just being the hardware side.

Tell me about, trying to overclock this 1080, is like learning to overclock all over again.

4 hours ago, Prema said:

Very similar to varying degrees of mental retardation. 

5 hours ago, technos said:

No LVDS support :(

RIP all the Alienware guys except M17x R3, R4, and 17 who had the 120Hz panels.

Also older Clevos with 60Hz panels like my old P570WM. 

Does anyone want AMD notebook GPUs any more, considering they are so weak in comparison?

It looks impressive to me.